ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #61
Wasp
Supa10 pilot
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western Australia
Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Greg
I know it is academic, but show us your figures. I appreciate what you said about the rear pivoting about the swing arm but AFAIK the bike as a whole pivots about the front wheel spindle when you raise the rear regardless of how you do it.

How do you get 1.8deg when we get 0.93 (after being sent back to school of course) ?

Just askin. You have been doing this more than most but I am intrigued to see how you work it out.

Ray
It actually pivots about the front tyre contact patch OGR, 300+mm away from the front wheel spindle... Unless you are doing wheelies all the time and thats a whole different rake and trail ball game

I did a solid model of the complete geometry to check the change through a number of different scenarios, including the change to swing-arm angle and seat height.
Problem is I cant locate it on my drive now as I dont remember where I saved it and dont recall what it was named.. It really was only for short term knowledge to check I was on the right path.
I guess I could do it again but I am in the middle of a paying project at the moment and simply dont have time.

Greg.
__________________
The original WaspWorks S10 detail & evolution thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933
The NEW "Long Term" WaspWorks S10 detail & evolution thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #62
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
I guess I could do it again but I am in the middle of a paying project at the moment and simply dont have time.

Greg.
Jeez Greg, here we have an actual peer reviewed discussion going on, a rare occurrence I might add, and you have decided that a paying job is more important.

Get your priorities straight son!.

Now get that CAD package out and start some 3D animated modelling

Cheers
Graham
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #63
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Motard_Menace's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 300
Nice write up thanks for the info....hmmmm might have to find one of those unclaimed deposits now........
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #64
Dirty Swede
Adventurer
 
Dirty Swede's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Oddometer: 15
For the owners...

I have been happily loving life from the back of my KLR 650 (and recently acquired KLR 685), but once in a while I yern for more.
So at the Edmonton Bike show this weekend I was very excited to see the Tenere, as I have on a few occasions and for various reasons dismissed both the GS and the KTM 990 as successors to the the KLR. Looked cool. Looked great in fact! Crash bars seemed good, seat was nice and wide. Big foot pegs. ....lets swing a leg over and see....So with the permission of the Yama guy I pushed her up on the center stand and jumped on.
However as soon as I stood up on those pegs I was instantly disappointed! How do you guys fit your feet on there?? The back of my both my legs were touching bike, especially where the cover for the exhaust on the left side sits. I had to move my (size 11-12) feet a good 2 inches forward on the pegs just to get some air behind my leg. And that's with the bike still. Imagine if we had been bouncing down a trail.
It totally ruined it for me.
Owners, how do you cope?? What do you do? Only way I could have my feet where I like them on the pegs whilst standing was to flair my heals out quite a bit on either side.
Thoughts? Comments?


///sry for the rant, biked looked awesome anyways.
Dirty Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #65
Wasp
Supa10 pilot
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western Australia
Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post
I have been happily loving life from the back of my KLR 650 (and recently acquired KLR 685), but once in a while I yern for more.
So at the Edmonton Bike show this weekend I was very excited to see the Tenere, as I have on a few occasions and for various reasons dismissed both the GS and the KTM 990 as successors to the the KLR. Looked cool. Looked great in fact! Crash bars seemed good, seat was nice and wide. Big foot pegs. ....lets swing a leg over and see....So with the permission of the Yama guy I pushed her up on the center stand and jumped on.
However as soon as I stood up on those pegs I was instantly disappointed! How do you guys fit your feet on there?? The back of my both my legs were touching bike, especially where the cover for the exhaust on the left side sits. I had to move my (size 11-12) feet a good 2 inches forward on the pegs just to get some air behind my leg. And that's with the bike still. Imagine if we had been bouncing down a trail.
It totally ruined it for me.
Owners, how do you cope?? What do you do? Only way I could have my feet where I like them on the pegs whilst standing was to flair my heals out quite a bit on either side.
Thoughts? Comments?


///sry for the rant, biked looked awesome anyways.
I had the same problem with the calf muscle on the left side cover = used to really piss me off.

This is my resolution to the problem.





All good now - And no burning of the Klim pants

Greg.
__________________
The original WaspWorks S10 detail & evolution thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933
The NEW "Long Term" WaspWorks S10 detail & evolution thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #66
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer
 
protondecay123's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post
I have been happily loving life from the back of my KLR 650 (and recently acquired KLR 685), but once in a while I yern for more.
So at the Edmonton Bike show this weekend I was very excited to see the Tenere, as I have on a few occasions and for various reasons dismissed both the GS and the KTM 990 as successors to the the KLR. Looked cool. Looked great in fact! Crash bars seemed good, seat was nice and wide. Big foot pegs. ....lets swing a leg over and see....So with the permission of the Yama guy I pushed her up on the center stand and jumped on.
However as soon as I stood up on those pegs I was instantly disappointed! How do you guys fit your feet on there?? The back of my both my legs were touching bike, especially where the cover for the exhaust on the left side sits. I had to move my (size 11-12) feet a good 2 inches forward on the pegs just to get some air behind my leg. And that's with the bike still. Imagine if we had been bouncing down a trail.
It totally ruined it for me.
Owners, how do you cope?? What do you do? Only way I could have my feet where I like them on the pegs whilst standing was to flair my heals out quite a bit on either side.
Thoughts? Comments?


///sry for the rant, biked looked awesome anyways.
It's taken me 6 months of psychological counseling to get over it. It took 2 years to get over my first KLR!
__________________
Sometimes the Lights are all Shinin' on Me
Other times I can barely see
Lately It Occurs to Me
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #67
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post
I have been happily loving life from the back of my KLR 650 (and recently acquired KLR 685), but once in a while I yern for more.
So at the Edmonton Bike show this weekend I was very excited to see the Tenere, as I have on a few occasions and for various reasons dismissed both the GS and the KTM 990 as successors to the the KLR. Looked cool. Looked great in fact! Crash bars seemed good, seat was nice and wide. Big foot pegs. ....lets swing a leg over and see....So with the permission of the Yama guy I pushed her up on the center stand and jumped on.
However as soon as I stood up on those pegs I was instantly disappointed! How do you guys fit your feet on there?? The back of my both my legs were touching bike, especially where the cover for the exhaust on the left side sits. I had to move my (size 11-12) feet a good 2 inches forward on the pegs just to get some air behind my leg. And that's with the bike still. Imagine if we had been bouncing down a trail.
It totally ruined it for me.
Owners, how do you cope?? What do you do? Only way I could have my feet where I like them on the pegs whilst standing was to flair my heals out quite a bit on either side.
Thoughts? Comments?


///sry for the rant, biked looked awesome anyways.
Hay Dirty,anatomies vary,of course. I'm 6 ft,185lbs & have pretty muscular legs.Only problem I had when I 1st rode my Tenere was my ankle rubbed on that protector plate above the left peg. As I rode more I must have adjusted because the problem went away.Standing on the Tenere is MUCH easier & more comfortable for me than on my beemer GS1200.Love this Tenere.Both bikes see a lot of dirt.I keep both feet fairly far back on pegs so toes don't clobber rocks & stuff. Hope this helps some.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #68
Dirty Swede
Adventurer
 
Dirty Swede's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
Hay Dirty,anatomies vary,of course. I'm 6 ft,185lbs & have pretty muscular legs.Only problem I had when I 1st rode my Tenere was my ankle rubbed on that protector plate above the left peg. As I rode more I must have adjusted because the problem went away.Standing on the Tenere is MUCH easier & more comfortable for me than on my beemer GS1200.Love this Tenere.Both bikes see a lot of dirt.I keep both feet fairly far back on pegs so toes don't clobber rocks & stuff. Hope this helps some.
I agree on that Beemer comment. My friend suggested that a guy my size might do well if I rotated the bars up a little towards me, or added some risers to bring the bars to me, instead of me coming down to the bars.

I am looking forward to lots of trip reports from Tenere riders in 2012.
Dirty Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #69
tvbh40a
PSUViking
 
tvbh40a's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
Oddometer: 1,391
Vibration

Any news from Yamaha on the status of your ongoing problem with vibrations?

Are there other current instances of this with the Tenere?
__________________
"Do today what other's won't, so you can do tomorrow what other's can't." Jody Sears-West Point
It is not enough to want to make the effort. Its in the doing, not just the thinking, that we accomplish our goals."
Just tell her my wife said it's OK-Handy
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #70
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
Any news from Yamaha on the status of your ongoing problem with vibrations?

Are there other current instances of this with the Tenere?

Tell us what you think you know about this "on going problem."

Regards, Paul
__________________
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #71
tvbh40a
PSUViking
 
tvbh40a's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Tell us what you think you know about this "on going problem."

Regards, Paul
All I know of "is his ongoing problem with Yamaha" nothing more. You have read the start of the thread update?
__________________
"Do today what other's won't, so you can do tomorrow what other's can't." Jody Sears-West Point
It is not enough to want to make the effort. Its in the doing, not just the thinking, that we accomplish our goals."
Just tell her my wife said it's OK-Handy
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #72
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Touring the Americas
Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
All I know of "is his ongoing problem with Yamaha" nothing more. You have read the start of the thread update?
It depends how you define the problem. It does vibrate but then so do all bikes with only 2 cylinders. The solution is to keep the kill switch turned off but it does make the bike a bit boring but that applies to all bikes.
Yamaha are aware of the problem and are currently looking at a way of tacking two more cylinders on the bike without adding any weight or size. They also have a similar problem with the XT660 series and adding 3 cylinders to those bikes is causing them some serious concern. I understand the Japanese doctors are being inundated with requests for sleeping tablets as the engineers have not slept since the problem was identified two years ago.
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #73
tvbh40a
PSUViking
 
tvbh40a's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
Oddometer: 1,391
Cool2 Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
It depends how you define the problem. It does vibrate but then so do all bikes with only 2 cylinders. The solution is to keep the kill switch turned off but it does make the bike a bit boring but that applies to all bikes.
Yamaha are aware of the problem and are currently looking at a way of tacking two more cylinders on the bike without adding any weight or size. They also have a similar problem with the XT660 series and adding 3 cylinders to those bikes is causing them some serious concern. I understand the Japanese doctors are being inundated with requests for sleeping tablets as the engineers have not slept since the problem was identified two years ago.
Yur funny.........
__________________
"Do today what other's won't, so you can do tomorrow what other's can't." Jody Sears-West Point
It is not enough to want to make the effort. Its in the doing, not just the thinking, that we accomplish our goals."
Just tell her my wife said it's OK-Handy
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #74
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
All I know of "is his ongoing problem with Yamaha" nothing more. You have read the start of the thread update?
There is one or two S10's out there with "vibes".

Some have "vibes" for the first 5000Km or so but once run in the vibes diminish.

Then there is the fact that it has two thumpers down there. At a cruise the motor is smooth as can be.

When the power gets requested especially at lower revs you know you are riding two thumpers at once. (S10 riders are very talented.)

The bike has been designed from the start to be a nuclear powered dirt bike rather than a jacked up sports tourer so some people get confused because they expect the bike is a road bike only.

That about sums it up I think.

This quote from the guy at hell for leather pretty well sums it up I recon after spending two days in death valley..

Quote:
Now, having taken the big Yamaha way beyond my own limits, if nowhere near its own, I understand it a lot better as a motorcycle. Its not some shiny exercise in ridiculousness, masquerading as a dirt bike to make touring riders feel better about themselves, its an honest-to-god dirt bike that can tour and commute and do all that stuff too.
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #75
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: North of Brisbane
Oddometer: 423
Will be looking at a 2nd hand ST today but must say I am a bit put off by this report regarding vibrations, I really dislike vibes since it makes my hands fall asleep. If I tour at around 110 km/h I do not want that!
Other than that (except the buffeting from the screen) this seems to be a cracker of a bike!
Also looking at the new DL650 & KTM1190R (almost double the money compared to a 2nd hand ST!).
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014