Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #76
dejr2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
How many miles on the ST you're looking at? Many have no issues such as mine, some report smoothing out with some miles. Test ride and see if it works for you.
dejr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #77
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
Mine is super smooth... This is a very rare account...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #78
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Will be looking at a 2nd hand ST today but must say I am a bit put off by this report regarding vibrations, I really dislike vibes since it makes my hands fall asleep. If I tour at around 110 km/h I do not want that!
Other than that (except the buffeting from the screen) this seems to be a cracker of a bike!
Also looking at the new DL650 & KTM1190R (almost double the money compared to a 2nd hand ST!).

As one of the few who raised hell about vibes, I'll put in my two cents. The more I ride my S10 the smoother it gets. Also, it seems to run smoother in cooler temperatures although a lot of bikes do that. When I first purchased my bike it was summer and the vibes were killing me. I honestly was concerned I might be doing damage to my nerves it was that extreme. The only thing that kept me going was others who said their bikes smoothed out with time. They were right. I currently have about 15,000 miles on mine and it is a completely different machine. Is it Goldwing or K1600gt smooth? No, it's a huge twin. The engine has character but vibes are no longer an issue for me. Also, I can say that 110 km/h is right in the engine's sweet spot. It is smooth as glass at that speed.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #79
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
The bike I`m looking at has 4000 miles on the clock.
Looks ok but maybe the paint work look a bit older.
Price is reasonable but... I also like the new DL650 which I can get brand new plus warranty. Choices....
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #80
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
The bike I`m looking at has 4000 miles on the clock.
Looks ok but maybe the paint work look a bit older.
Price is reasonable but... I also like the new DL650 which I can get brand new plus warranty. Choices....
I came from a DL1000. The V-Stroms are great bikes with some upgrades. In America, the suggested selling price on a new S10 is several thousand dollars more than the Suzukis. IMHO that money is well spent. The S10 has much better brakes, suspension, electronics, forks, etc.. I will say that a guy at work has 250k miles on his DL1000 with minimal problems. The V-Stroms are known for their reliability but I think in time so will the S10. Look at the main S10 thread, there is mostly talk of farkles and idle chit chat. Not really anyone with serious issues yet.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #81
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
I came from a DL1000. The V-Stroms are great bikes with some upgrades. In America, the suggested selling price on a new S10 is several thousand dollars more than the Suzukis. IMHO that money is well spent. The S10 has much better brakes, suspension, electronics, forks, etc.. I will say that a guy at work has 250k miles on his DL1000 with minimal problems. The V-Stroms are known for their reliability but I think in time so will the S10. Look at the main S10 thread, there is mostly talk of farkles and idle chit chat. Not really anyone with serious issues yet.

Whatever its worth, Mother Suzuki is not exactly thriving at this time. just sayin.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #82
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

The ST I`m looking at has been involved in a minor incident which involved his insurance company, can hardly notice that something happened to the bike.
It is probably why it is a little bit cheaper than other bikes that age.
No doubt that the ST is reliable but you never really know when you buy 2nd hand and the warranty has ended, probably will take it for a spin and evaluate the situation again.
This bike is sold privately which means I can not trade in my current DL650 which means I got 4 bikes in my garage until it will be sold.
Start to understand why people keep their bikes since you do not get much for them 2nd hand.
This is an excellent site by the way!
Cheers.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #83
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
Quote:
The ST I`m looking at has been involved in a minor incident which involved his insurance company, can hardly notice that something happened to the bike.
It is probably why it is a little bit cheaper than other bikes that age.
No doubt that the ST is reliable but you never really know when you buy 2nd hand and the warranty has ended, probably will take it for a spin and evaluate the situation again.
This bike is sold privately which means I can not trade in my current DL650 which means I got 4 bikes in my garage until it will be sold.
Start to understand why people keep their bikes since you do not get much for them 2nd hand.
This is an excellent site by the way!
Cheers.
I hope its majorly discounted.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #84
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Was thinking, if the owner allow me to take it to a good workshop (do they really exist?) for a thorough check up (that I pay for) and all is good according to the mechanic, it all should be good?
Would love the new KTM1190 but this slightly used Yamaha is less than half price, why would you risk damage to a very expensive bike when you can get a cheaper but still capable one? Love the DL650`s but I`m convinced the bigger Yammie can be as good or better except fuel consumption. Can I get a slightly 2nd hand ST for just a fraction more than a new DL650 why not?
Time will tell.