User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
Johnnyboxer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
XChallenge or XCountry??

I have a XChallenge, which I've had for 3 years and I enjoy it.................however I keep looking at black XCountry's and wonder if that might be a better bike for a dualsport role?

I think my main reasons are it's a bit lower (although i'm 6'2) and a lower front mudguard/better seat and there is more options for screens perhaps

Just been looking at the XChallenge in the garage, to see which accessories are interchangeable with the XCountry......................quite a bit

Maybe a slippery slope

What does the collective think?..................happy to hear input from XCountry owners

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
As to which is the better for dual sport, that depends on your definition of dual sport. If your definition is riding off highway trails with some connections on the road, then I think the XChallenge would be better. If your definition of dual sport includes mostly riding in areas a BigGS could go in the hands an average rider but with some slightly more difficult areas thrown in, the XCountry would be more suited.

Anything in between is entirely subjective.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Ive owned 4 "big" GS bikes and still have a 1200. I also bought an XCo last fall and I love it. After riding so many years on the big, heavy bike, this little thing is very liberating.

For me, "dual sport" means being able to do it all and that includes long-distance running with comfort, curvy-road sport riding and, of course, dirt riding. The XCo does it all. I have made several long, cross country trips with it and plan to do a FL to CA run with it.

Off road, it is much more capable than being limited to "easy stuff." Do I run it like a 250 dirtbike ? No. Do I put it in a clay pit and catch air with both wheels ? No.

I don't want a dirt bike. Been there, done that. I want something I do not have to trailer ANYWHERE.

Many people who get a XCo set-out and immediately start trying to convert it to a dirtbike. I think that is a mistake and, for those folks, the XCh would have been a better choice.

One caution about the XCo - for me, it took a LOT of work to make it comfortable for me. I too am 6-2, about 210. The stock seat must be for small women. It was horrible for me. Also, the gas tank is too small for much distance running. I corrected those issues and many many other things. It's carrying capability is also limited.

In retrospect, I am not sure the single cylinder GS model would not be the best choice. It comes with a 4 gallon tank, easily accepts bags and has a tach. The seat is still horrible but many other things are already fixed. BMW has 09 and 10 models in the warehouse and is running some good incentives on them now.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Oddometer: 2,815
I think the Leafman might be right. I would have liked to get an Xchallenge, but there were none available when I made my purchase. I ended up swapping wheels and shocks with an Xchallenge rider to make it more dirt worthy, but can say with all certainty that it took NOTHING away from it's streetability. I honestly don't think there are enough differences between the two to warrant selling your Xch, unless you were height challenged,or planned to use the bike as a pack mule, where the steel subframe was needed. The Xco is sexier, however
Old 04-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
I'm the same height as you, and enjoy my Xch for most every terrain, while use it to commute in NYC for work/fun.

On the items you mentioned, I've addressed most of them (Renazco seat, Dakar screen from Argentina by proscreen), and looking to address in the future (low fender when there is a proven bolt on kit, repaint)...for luggage I use Giant Loop and have done +13,000m in 3 years of intermittent riding (3 long trips)

It's safe to say that 70-80% of the bikes are the same, the Xch just has longer legs and a quirky headlight...

I say build on what you have...you know your bike well, and you can invest 12 months and $ to make it what you want.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,765
With so many owners of both bikes swapping out the suspensions on both models, many X-Ch and X-Co bikes are now running around with the same front and rear suspensions, in many combinations. My X-Co is running on a X-Ch rear shock, and soon X-Ch forks with Hyperpro springs. Many of us X-Co owners have also gone to 21/18 wheels. Any luggage that fits one fits the other. I think it's safe to say both bikes can be built to the same capability level as everything interchanges. Question is, do you want a passenger seat, and which do you prefer the look of?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Old 04-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
DROdio
Lifehacker

Oddometer: 27
Used to own an xCo, just upgraded to xCh

I took my xCountry through some pretty hard trails at JoshuaTree and wished it was just a bit better offroad, so I switched to an xChallenge and I'm super happy with it. Happy to share more details.
DROdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
Antti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Xc for me, reasons as above :)

I could hardly even consider a bike without 21" front wheel. Hmm, maybe some 1xxx gs for sunny sundays. Maybe.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #11
Johnnyboxer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROdio View Post
I took my xCountry through some pretty hard trails at JoshuaTree and wished it was just a bit better offroad, so I switched to an xChallenge and I'm super happy with it. Happy to share more details.
Please share some of your experience, it would be great to hear what you think

Old 02-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti View Post
Xc for me, reasons as above :)

I could hardly even consider a bike without 21" front wheel. Hmm, maybe some 1xxx gs for sunny sundays. Maybe.

Sorry for the derail, but what screen is that?
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Antti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Its from here:

http://www.parabrisascurtain.com/pro...-challenge.htm
Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
With so many owners of both bikes swapping out the suspensions on both models, many X-Ch and X-Co bikes are now running around with the same front and rear suspensions, in many combinations. My X-Co is running on a X-Ch rear shock, and soon X-Ch forks with Hyperpro springs. Many of us X-Co owners have also gone to 21/18 wheels. Any luggage that fits one fits the other. I think it's safe to say both bikes can be built to the same capability level as everything interchanges. Question is, do you want a passenger seat, and which do you prefer the look of?
Agree totally. If you have the cash or are good at finding parts online at reasonable prices upgrade the suspension with the marzocchi forks and a good or reworked shock. This is a better option than either xbike suspenson.The bikes are pretty much the same. The value of a used low mile Xbike cannot be understated. BMW engineers provided a pretty good starting canvas to make your own bike. I my opinion get an X before an F. Although Fs are really nice the X is a better starting point for a long distance dualsport.
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
Johnnyboxer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well I sold the Challenge and bought a 2000mile Country

So far, so good