User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
ivel_86 OP
Oops

Oddometer: 821
Eek Headlight and running light issue 2010 Ural GU

Ok well I did the search and found some stuff but none the same as my issue. Because when I fudge something up I like to be unique about it.
I took my fender off and painted part of it. well after putting it back on I went to take the bike for a ride and notice a smell and seen a puff of smoke from under the headlight area while bike was running. Than the headlight blew out. Well I took the head light off seen no burnt wires, I replaced the fuse and the light worked fine with it off but when I put it back in its home it blew the fuse (had the bike off when putting it in and taking it out) anyways so after about five blown fuses it stopped blowing them (dont ask me why cause all I did was wiggle wires and put the head light back in and a new fuse) so anyways GREAT news got head light high and low beems. Well now the running lights wont come on? BBBBUUUUUTTTT if I turn the key to the "parking light" part the running lights work fine. also the brake lights and turn signals work fine also. checked all fuses and none are blown????? Help me out guys. the olny good dealer is Crawfords and thats about three hours away!!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
seekeronsaltspring
Crazy David

Oddometer: 424
Smoke means melted wire. Seems likey a short before the lights, You going have to meter it and work the wires back and fro to find the arc. For starters trace the wires out that the fuse powers. Checking for points were the poiwer can ground too. It only take one bare point on a fitting to touch to ground out.
seekeronsaltspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
TebKLR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekeronsaltspring View Post
Smoke means melted wire. Seems likey a short before the lights, You going have to meter it and work the wires back and fro to find the arc. For starters trace the wires out that the fuse powers. Checking for points were the poiwer can ground too. It only take one bare point on a fitting to touch to ground out.
Yep. In your repeated removing/installing the headlight, you likely moved a bare spot on a hot wire away from where it was grounding (and causing the blown fuses). I'm no expert, but it sounds like its inside the headlight bucket somewhere. Maybe where the headlight bucket bolts protrude into the interior of the bucket?
TebKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekeronsaltspring View Post

Dittos on that. The only good way to fix an electrical problem is trace it out and test it with a multi-meter along the way.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
ivel_86 OP
Oops

I understand this all and normally agree but..... the head light works and I know there is still the issue but i dont understand the running lights not working when the key is on but they work when the key is flipped past into the parking setting...I am very stumped I know how to find/fix the head light thing but no idea about th running lights????????

im all ears guys thanks so much for your support
Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
TebKLR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivel_86 View Post
I understand this all and normally agree but..... the head light works and I know there is still the issue but i dont understand the running lights not working when the key is on but they work when the key is flipped past into the parking setting...I am very stumped I know how to find/fix the head light thing but no idea about th running lights????????

im all ears guys thanks so much for your support
Collateral damage? Different fuse for the parking lamp-only circuit?

TebKLR screwed with this post 04-24-2011 at 07:34 PM
TebKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
ivel_86 OP
Oops

Tom,
I dont think so. all fuses are good. Tomorrow I will replace them all with brand new ones to see if they are hiding HAHA. But I am thinking its the actual on off switch but I am not really sure just yet. I guess. I will be sure to keep you posted on whatever I find. I HATE ELECTRICAL!!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
ReCycled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Sounds like two different issues here. Are you sure the running lights worked after the fender work and before the smoke? The "parking" lights use the same fuse and wiring as when the ignition is "on". That does seem to point at the ignition switch, was that stressed during the fender install?

Here's the 2010 wiring diagram from Ural's website;

http://www.imz-ural.com/support/manu..._Dlr%20use.pdf

I haven't traced through all of it but I'm not liking the lack of a headlight relay.
ReCycled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
ivel_86 OP
Oops

You know I do not know if my running lights were working I guess I was more concerned with the smoke and what not. But as far as I could tell there was no wires pinched or mangeled. And I am not certian how the ignition switch would be stressed by that but maybe I will check that tonight also. Thanks for the link!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCycled View Post
Sounds like two different issues here. Are you sure the running lights worked after the fender work and before the smoke? The "parking" lights use the same fuse and wiring as when the ignition is "on". That does seem to point at the ignition switch, was that stressed during the fender install?

Here's the 2010 wiring diagram from Ural's website;

http://www.imz-ural.com/support/manu..._Dlr%20use.pdf

I haven't traced through all of it but I'm not liking the lack of a headlight relay.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
ivel_86 OP
Oops

Ok... so here is my ideas again. It isnt the switch, and the switch is a 6 wire switch I was wrong in my other post. But I can see were the problem can most likley be! If anyone else has the diagram please correct me if I am wrong, but the bottom to fuses are fed power when turning the key into the on position. And you can see a slit inthe "power" to make it go into two seperate fuses. Meaning the the wire is either burnt out or disconected before the fuse panel... I think because like I said previously. If you follow the second fuse it goes to the running lights when the key is turned one more "click" Making the lights still working and none of the fuses are blown and since they dont blow when turned on nothing is arcing out. so maybe just maybe it is as simple as a burnt or disconceted wire.... phew!!!! If anyone has any objections or ideas please let me know. Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
ReCycled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
There are four fuses in the block;

One of those(the running lights) is powered when the the ignition switch is turned "on" AND when the ignition switch is in the parked position.

The other three are only on when the ignition switch is "on". Two of these are powered ffrom the same wire from the ignition switch.

Is there power to both sides of all four fuses when the ignition switch is "on" ? This is the easiest place to verify the ignition switch is controlling all three wires supplying the fuse block.
ReCycled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
ivel_86 OP
Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCycled View Post
There are four fuses in the block;

One of those(the running lights) is powered when the the ignition switch is turned "on" AND when the ignition switch is in the parked position.

The other three are only on when the ignition switch is "on". Two of these are powered ffrom the same wire from the ignition switch.

Is there power to both sides of all four fuses when the ignition switch is "on" ? This is the easiest place to verify the ignition switch is controlling all three wires supplying the fuse block.

HA HA!
You my friend have given me the solution to my issue!!! I wanted to see if it was my ignition switch but wasnt to sure how to check it. (must have been the lead based paint as a child) but you said it! Thank you! And how simple all I need to do to make sure the switch is working is see if I have power at the fuse panel DUH! Thank you.

If you are ever my way let me know and the beers will be on me! Thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
ivel_86 OP
Oops

Well I am stuck I cant find any busted wires. I have power on both sides of the fuse panel... It has to be somewere in that rats nest because I dont have power running to any of the lights ugh! All I know is that its driving me nuts!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
ivel_86 OP
Oops

Well gentelmen after staring at that diagram for what felt like hours (didnt do alot of work today) I am going to take it to Crawfords.(might have failed to mention its under warrenty) it seems as this is a bit above my pay grade! Thank you to everyone who contributed! And anyone who did the beer offer is still always open.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
seekeronsaltspring
Crazy David

Oddometer: 424
Good move as these rats can hide in plain sight real good. It can take a lot of metering to find the problem too. All we have is you touched the lamping wiring and lost you parking lights. Which may have a relay switch to operate some where.
Sol let us know how it turns out.

I did buy a shop work book on these bike but it hiding some where or lost now.
David

seekeronsaltspring screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 03:02 PM
seekeronsaltspring is offline   Reply With Quote