Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #46
G B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
This is a Toolbox I designed but because I do not have tools to weld aluminum I got this guy www.albox.is to made make the box
Attached Images

G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #47
island808
We are 100% SNAFU

Oddometer: 423
once I get back to the mainland and get a garage or outbuilding and a sheet metal break.. You may find a US supplier of similar tool boxes.
island808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #48
M1Tanker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
yellowbirdrs,

Did you repair your tool box? If so, did you make any modifications?

Do you have some photos of the repair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbirdrs View Post
probably not a good place for the box. After 300mls full loaded my box broke the bolt on the top of the caliper hit it :o

M1Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #49
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 696
You'll take out your rear brake caliper bleed screw if you ever bottom the bike out. I found out the hard way with this setup. I run just one tube and it was mounted higher than you bottom tube and I hit. I moved mine back and up pulled the rear shock to make sure things didn't hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike1 View Post
Ok that is a nice tool box. Here is a not as nice but put the 180 dollars to beer and you will be even. They are made out of 3 inch sewer pipe. The caps have 1/4 in birch plywood glue inside for support and the the pulls are just you run of the mill cabinet pulls.

Right now i have them attached with a couple of straps and a gear clamp. They stay nice and stead (so far) but am working on better attachment.

All in all i have about 15 buck into these. i used gorillia glue to hold one end cap on and the plywood in the caps.

Small one has 3/8 socket wrench 3 tire irons hand pump pug tools torx allen keys and a few other i cannot think of yet.

Bottom has sockets. torx sockets, multimeter, patch kit, spare bulbs tye wraps, spare nuts and bolts plus a few other odds n sods
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #50
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Ahhhh...Nice Concept But What Is Weight?

What is the weight of the aluminum boxes shown in this thread? While I appreciate a secure box relatively low...total weight is a major consideration as I ride almost all off road [as I see several others with TKCs]..

Never questioned how my '07 R1200 GS Adventure is balanced right to left without a load, but with the rack; does anyone know for certain?...I use Ortlieb soft bags and carefully load heavy low/forward and weigh each bag to balance load right to left...PVC tube is another potential, ammo box is great but heavy..

I need all the advantages I can get to dance off road; especially a balanced and hopefully minimum load to get the job done.

Thanks for any input..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #51
M1Tanker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
TBob,

Do you think the boxes from bmwgsemotion and Twalcom (Raidbox) will hit the brake caliper bleed screw if the suspension bottoms out?

M1Tanker
M1Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #52
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 696
Looks like twalcom hase a cutout for the caliper - not sure on the other one kinda looks like he's just keeping the box narrow enough to clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Tanker View Post
TBob,

Do you think the boxes from bmwgsemotion and Twalcom (Raidbox) will hit the brake caliper bleed screw if the suspension bottoms out?

M1Tanker
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #53
mtmc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Has anyone bought one of these?

Has anyone bought either of these manufactured units?
mtmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #54
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330627460480...84.m1423.l2649
Old 12-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #55
TomDac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Bit the bullet...

Bought a Twalcom Raidbox and it arrived yesterday.. My first impression is that it's pretty well made. The cover has a foam gasket on the back of it, so I'm assuming it would be pretty water resistant. I plan on putting all my tools in baggies, so I'm really not so worried about that..

It's pretty small too, so I'll definitely have to consider which tools I really need in there and which ones I should just leave home or in my top box. Maybe I'll just leave my tire plugger kit and pump in there... Will have to experiment a little with what fits in there best.

Install was a snap. Took about 10 minutes.

I never ride 2-up, so I'm not concerned about it touching the rear tire mud guard thingy when the suspension bottoms out... Should be ok..

Overall, i'm happy with it.. Wish it were a little cheaper, though... Don't care for the look of the John Deere manual case on my bike... I think this looks more fitting of a bike like this.. But that's just me.

Took a few pics of it. Click HERE to see them.
TomDac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #56
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
15 Bucks...

Yep, that sure looks like 15.00...and not a penny more! I don't think anyone considering the nice Twalcom box is gonna go for this solution.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike1 View Post
Ok that is a nice tool box. Here is a not as nice but put the 180 dollars to beer and you will be even. They are made out of 3 inch sewer pipe. The caps have 1/4 in birch plywood glue inside for support and the the pulls are just you run of the mill cabinet pulls.

Right now i have them attached with a couple of straps and a gear clamp. They stay nice and stead (so far) but am working on better attachment.

All in all i have about 15 buck into these. i used gorillia glue to hold one end cap on and the plywood in the caps.

Small one has 3/8 socket wrench 3 tire irons hand pump pug tools torx allen keys and a few other i cannot think of yet.

Bottom has sockets. torx sockets, multimeter, patch kit, spare bulbs tye wraps, spare nuts and bolts plus a few other odds n sods
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #57
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2adv View Post
I did the same thing using a Pelican case. Here's my version:

Nice!
Would that happen to be the Pelican model 1170 case? Looks like the righten size. Thought about doing that myself, but would like to attach it so it could be easily removed to access the contents of the box.

We're not reinventing the wheel here, but it nice if someone could come up with a H2O proof box that could be mounted to
the side case bracket.
Please? Someone?
Old 12-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #58
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
Bought a Twalcom Raidbox and it arrived yesterday.. My first impression is that it's pretty well made. The cover has a foam gasket on the back of it, so I'm assuming it would be pretty water resistant. I plan on putting all my tools in baggies, so I'm really not so worried about that..

It's pretty small too, so I'll definitely have to consider which tools I really need in there and which ones I should just leave home or in my top box. Maybe I'll just leave my tire plugger kit and pump in there... Will have to experiment a little with what fits in there best.

Install was a snap. Took about 10 minutes.

I never ride 2-up, so I'm not concerned about it touching the rear tire mud guard thingy when the suspension bottoms out... Should be ok..

Overall, i'm happy with it.. Wish it were a little cheaper, though... Don't care for the look of the John Deere manual case on my bike... I think this looks more fitting of a bike like this.. But that's just me.

Took a few pics of it. Click HERE to see them.
Looks like a nice box. Would have to take off the advertising sicker!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #59
thealaskan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
What, the OP can't even supply a dealer?
thealaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:09 AM   #60
r2adv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Pelican tool kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
Nice!
Would that happen to be the Pelican model 1170 case? Looks like the righten size. Thought about doing that myself, but would like to attach it so it could be easily removed to access the contents of the box.?
Yep - standard Pelican 1170. I keep everything in a tool roll that fits in the case. Pop the latches and the cover of the box lays on the tire forming a shelf. Tool roll slides out. I never worried about locking it. Obscure enough to be safe - convenient enough when needed.