Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #16
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhappy View Post
don't know for sure, but an 81 goldwing with a terriplane sidecar is always in my way when working on my rig @ "FRIENDS" house. he has mentioned many time about "getting rid" of it ......... but didnt believe anyone would want to take on a project, time and $ needed to put it back together again........... in many boxes but all parts are there i can check further and take pictures if there is and interest !!!!
you know the old saying about one man's junk...
supermotosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #17
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
LOL.

That (the "rat-wing") is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, both in a hack and as a touring bike.

Having a bike with faded paint and "patina" while still being mechanically perfect appeals to my sensibilities (or lack there of). Good theft deterent too!

Keep them both together and don't do anything but get it running right. No paint, no "upgrades", you aren't ever going to get your money back if you do.
I think I want to find a tank shelter from the naked '84 GL1200, just strip this one down and bless it with Krylon, least that's the plan as of right now.... Sucks only having the weekends to work on it though
Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
Sidecar Sarge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I think you are VERY wise to go with the hacked Wing as a beginner's rig rather than hacking your Ninja. Installing a sidecar turns a motorcycle into a tug. It is no longer a motorcycle. If you love your Ninja, keep it that way. Now you can play with the Wing rig and decide if a sidecar is for you without doing major alterations to your "baby".

Sarge
Old 04-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,651
The chair looks like a friendship II. It should have a swing arm suspension with a motorcycle type coil over shock and a 13" tire.

I have a similar rig, a 1986 GW 1200 with a Friendship II. It's a very nice ride once dialed in.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
Triumph Rider
When is retirement

Oddometer: 68
Cool2

Will it fit the Ninja? and did you "modify" the GL yet? let me know if you need hand!
Triumph Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #21
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
The chair looks like a friendship II. It should have a swing arm suspension with a motorcycle type coil over shock and a 13" tire.

I have a similar rig, a 1986 GW 1200 with a Friendship II. It's a very nice ride once dialed in.

That looks like exactly what I have-exept I don't see a brake disc behind the wheel on yours(mine has a rotor and caliper)...Maybe it was an option? Thanks for the pic, gets me one step closer to knowing what I'm working with!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #22
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph Rider View Post
Will it fit the Ninja? and did you "modify" the GL yet? let me know if you need hand!
I'm actually not too worried about fitting the Ninja at this point, probably better off anyway. Mods haven't started yet, only thing I've accomplished is getting the fuel pump unstuck and pumping again I'm on the fence about the gas tank, the one in the bike is a rusty scabbed up mess. The sidecar has an auxilliary aluminum gas tank behind the seat, I'm considering using it to get the rig up and running and sort the bikes tank once the project is a little further along. The thing I need most right now is TIME.... Strangely enough it seems to be on back order
Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #23
Triumph Rider
When is retirement

Oddometer: 68
I thought it might... we can take a trip to Sanford and look for things there... right now all personal orders are on hold at work..... she can't keep up with the work she has....
Triumph Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #24
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My slower-than-molasses progress update is going to come with a(some) question(s). I have done some searching and am fairly certain I have a Friendship I, specifically because it has a torsion suspension assembly with no shock-just the springs and the trailing arm. Upon disassembly I found that the trailing arm pivot had developed so much play the hack tire sidewall had burned a nice arc through the fiberglass tub... No biggie I figure, I'll just get a new bushing I keep hearing everyone talk about ( I saw them listed on DMC's site also ) and be good as new. Now my question is for you guys who have ( or had! ) an older Friendship, because when I took my suspension apart I found a caged needle bearing in the pivot. I thought MAYBE the bushing works with the needle bearing? So I call Jay @ DMC to get a bushing and a little insight on the bearing situation. If I remember right, he says it's a late production Friendship 1 and they only put the bearings in them for the last six months of production, and of all the rigs he's seen only ONE has passed through set up as mine is. SO, of all you Friendship guys out there (hopefully more than 1) is your suspension like mine? And if so, where are you sourcing your parts? I can find a new bearing, and a new seal, but the sleeve the bearing rides on is what I'm puzzling over.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #25
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's what is left of the bearing...
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #26
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another angle..
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #27
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And the sleeve it rides(rode) on..
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #28
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And yet another angle..
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #29
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And all of the above resulted in this!
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #30
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also, ( sorry for the twenty question tonight guys ) is the suspension on these held in decently enough? I see that the two allen screws (one in each end of the torsion springs) are all that hold the whole shooting match together. That seems okay, but the PO had a metal cable wrapped around the trailing arm and frame then bolted together, I'm assuming for a worst-case scenario. Should this be a big concern (keeping a restraint on the arm) or would I be okay just loctiting and safety wiring the hardware?