Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #46
Triumph Rider
When is retirement

Oddometer: 75
looks good! What struts are you looking at putting on her? After you are done lets look at the putting one on to the '77 that I have?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #47
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Can you slip your fork tubes up in the triple trees a bit? Can you put a tall profile rear tire on and keep a low profile radial up front? Those mods, with your raising links will help reduce the trail at not much cost. If you do it before you get to doing your alignment it would be better...
I have a new Dunlop harder-than-heck rear tire in mind that is a profile or two taller. Is there a rule of thumb as far as how much to raise the fork tubes in the clamps?( there's plenty of room since I converted the bars)

supermotosean screwed with this post 11-30-2011 at 03:27 PM Reason: absentmindism
supermotosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #48
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph Rider View Post
looks good! What struts are you looking at putting on her? After you are done lets look at the putting one on to the '77 that I have?
I'll start on the struts once I get a more "finalized" alignment. I'm all for sprouting a third wheel on your bike, but something (someone?!?) tells me I'm too much of an instigator as is
Old 11-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #49
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermotosean View Post
I have a new Dunlop harder-than-heck rear tire in mind that is a profile or two taller. Is there a rule of thumb as far as how much to raise the fork tubes in the clamps?( there's plenty of room since I converted the bars)
Consider a Kenda k270 for the rear tire.

I'd move the fork tubes up as. Far as tyou can without having clearance probblems. When the forks are compressed
Old 12-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #50
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Maiden voyage!

Finally got off my dead rear and fininshed measuring and tweaking. My starting measurements are 12" of lead, 3/4" of toe-in, and 3/4" of lean-out measured at the bars. Track by the time everything was said and done came out to about 49-1/2". First run was without the body, so it was incredibly light on right turns. Even as light as it is, the hack wheel doesn't lift when I step up on the left footpeg. (It will if I bounce though!) Suspension seems a little soft (expected) but not unmanageable. It tracks nice and straight and doesn't have much left/right pull while speeding up and slowing down. I should be getting my body back one day this week so I can mount it up and see how much of an effect it has on handling. (I expect this to change as well, mainly curious as to how much!)
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #51
Mr.Mellow's WildRide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Looks solid.........that being said, no suspension on the tub........???
Mr.Mellow's WildRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #52
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mellow's WildRide View Post
Looks solid.........that being said, no suspension on the tub........???
There's a torsion spring inside the tube where the trailing arm connects. No shock so I'm sure it won't be silky smooth, but better than so suspension at all
Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #53
toastmuncher
I be new round here! Ello

Oddometer: 672
I need to point out something you MAY have already considered. You may need to cap the top of you diagonal rear bottow mount, I think it may fill up with water and cause corrosion inside. I may be looking at it wrong but it may be worth thinking about.
That is a fantastic outfit though, as a first attempt its really top-notch. My first outfit was a real scruffy old watsonian monza, like I have on my triumph, with gas pipe tube welded between it and an old gt750 shaft drive kawasaki. Mann, it was a death trap.
Guzzi 700 V7 details-mystery
Matchless g3ls 350 54, Ariel 650 huntmaster 56. IBA 40526
toastmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #54
jaydmc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,000
You should have received plastic caps for the boss's. If this is not the case let me know and I will send them out. Also we normaly mount the struts with the treaded end down. The reason is that over time water can work its way down the treads and make it difficult to adjust latter.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #55
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastmuncher View Post
I need to point out something you MAY have already considered. You may need to cap the top of you diagonal rear bottow mount, I think it may fill up with water and cause corrosion inside. I may be looking at it wrong but it may be worth thinking about.
That is a fantastic outfit though, as a first attempt its really top-notch. My first outfit was a real scruffy old watsonian monza, like I have on my triumph, with gas pipe tube welded between it and an old gt750 shaft drive kawasaki. Mann, it was a death trap.
You're looking at it right, I do plan on capping those off ( front and rear will both fill up if I don't) I have a lot of finishing touches and tying up loose ends at this point, I'm just happy it's finally together ( not just test-fitting anymore ) and operational. Not "finished" mind you, but my major hurdles are clear
Thanks for the positive reinforcement, especially with this being my first attempt and I am HORRIBLE at finishing projects.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #56
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
You should have received plastic caps for the boss's. If this is not the case let me know and I will send them out. Also we normaly mount the struts with the treaded end down. The reason is that over time water can work its way down the treads and make it difficult to adjust latter.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
I didn't get plastic caps when I got my subframe, but I didn't order the connecting parts from you either-these came with the car when I picked it up. Not that I would say no if you decided to send me a pair
And THANK YOU for telling me about the struts, water getting in hadn't even crossed my mind. I was only thinking the larger end was heavier so keep it lower on the frame, and it probably doesn't make much of a difference anyway the more I (over)think about it.....
Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #57
Triumph Rider
When is retirement

Very nice.... it looks real good! How far did you go on the first Run? And did Bob finish the tub? and yeah... I am jealous
Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #58
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph Rider View Post
Very nice.... it looks real good! How far did you go on the first Run? And did Bob finish the tub? and yeah... I am jealous
I just went around the neighborhood, not enough weight or experience to play in traffic yet-if I LOOK left the chair wheel flies
Not sure about the tub yet, I'm gonna call Bob tomorrow and see how soon. I know it'll be ready sometime this week, just a matter of when exactly, and if I need to go to Deland or meet him somewhere. Time to practice!
How soon 'till your back in town? I found another gravel/dirt-strewn tag that needs claiming
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #59
Triumph Rider
When is retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermotosean View Post
How soon 'till your back in town? I found another gravel/dirt-strewn tag that needs claiming
We are leaving Thursday night form Mass. and Should be home on Saturday, Stopping in to see my Sister in SC. Found my old tank for the 550 and having it mailed down. Need off road tires for the Speed Four and we will hit that tag! See you soon!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #60
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, the mechanics of it all are done. I might have to trim a little as it pulls to the right a bit at higher speeds, but I also think it's because a have a fairly large car hanging off a smaller motorcycle. Still, it will cruise 65 with little effort and steering effort isn't all that bad. Now, to concentrate on the cosmetics
Attached Images