Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
JeffD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
anybody buy a DR650 who wished they bought a KLR?

I have had my 09 KLR (new left over) for almost a year. At the time I really wanted a DR650 but due to the incentives Kaw was offering on the left over KLR's it was $1000 cheaper then a left over 09 DR. My KLR has been great but still wished I would have gotten a DR LOL.
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
koorbloh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
the only thing I wish for was height.

I don't regret buying the lighter bike.
I don't regret buying the simpler bike (one less fluid ftw!)

I would have regreted buying the bike with cheap fixes for every one of it's little quirks. Instead of tech days, I do rides.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
No that only works the other way around.

I have only heard of one person (Big Single) going to a klr from a DR and that was because he was unlucky enough to have his bike grenade which left him with a bad taste. It was a freak occurance tho.

jessepitt screwed with this post 04-25-2011 at 11:26 AM
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
I don't regret buying the simpler bike (one less fluid ftw!)
Try driving an aircooled car and a watercooled car, and see which needs a "refresh" after 40K miles. Aircooled hit the dustbin of history 50 years ago for a reason, IMHO. Even my VW Beetle has a watercooled Subaru engine now.

But yeah, as long as it lasts, it's simpler.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
jessepitt
Ride More

Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
Try driving an aircooled car and a watercooled car, and see which needs a "refresh" after 40K miles. Aircooled hit the dustbin of history 50 years ago for a reason, IMHO. Even my VW Beetle has a watercooled Subaru engine now.

DR's aren't air cooled. They are air/oil cooled. Big difference, they never overheat and last as long as a KLR, while at the same time haveing less to go wrong.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I actually went from a 2009 DR 650 to a 2009 KLR 650 and didnt' look back. Overall comfort and stock features on the KLR i have been happy with. My only concern with my KLR is the oil consumption. Both great bikes!
NHADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
hensmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Hallo Jeff, ever compared the wiring system with the Kawa, after 77000 km on my SE with a lot off winterdriving, the SE has the best quality in paintwork and electrical wires. But i never wished a beetle with a Subaru-engine, in no case. Hans, Germany
hensmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
koorbloh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post

sweet! when it wears out I'll go with the big bore kit
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
DR's aren't air cooled. They are air/oil cooled. Big difference, they never overheat and last as long as a KLR, while at the same time haveing less to go wrong.
So, those aren't really cooling fins on the jug and head?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
jessepitt
Ride More

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
So, those aren't really cooling fins on the jug and head?

Air/Oil. Two is better than one, no? The Suzuki SACs system works extremely well and has been tested time and again in high temps. It is a very popular bike in Australia and for a good reason, no boil and spit, no water pump. The other huge benifit to the DR is the gear driven counter balancer, as opposed to the Doo on the KLR. It never requires adjustment. I have ridden a friends KLR quite a bit and I liked it however the steering geometry on the DR is IMHO a bit better and gives it sharper handling both on and off road. I was all set to buy a KLR untill I road a DR.

jessepitt screwed with this post 04-25-2011 at 11:36 AM
Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
DR's aren't air cooled.

You said it...I'm just poking holes in your statement, that's all

DR's are air cooled. It's an air cooled engine with an oil cooler. Period. Removing the oil cooler doesn't automatically make it overheat (but I'm sure it will tend to be more prone to overheating), but removing the cooling fins will make it overheat rather quickly, even if the oil cooler were double the size and had a fan

Yes, the addition of an oil cooler to an air cooled engine makes it better than an air cooled only engine (in my opinion).
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
shu

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
You said it...I'm just poking holes in your statement, that's all

DR's are air cooled. It's an air cooled engine with an oil cooler. Period. Removing the oil cooler doesn't automatically make it overheat (but I'm sure it will tend to be more prone to overheating), but removing the cooling fins will make it overheat rather quickly, even if the oil cooler were double the size and had a fan

Yes, the addition of an oil cooler to an air cooled engine makes it better than an air cooled only engine (in my opinion).
Bob, you're getting "noxious". All motorcycles are essentially air cooled. The water in your 'water cooled' bike only carries 'the heat to the radiator where it is carried off in the air. Cover up your radiator and the KLR will quickly overheat as well.

But, on topic, having ridden at 110* F and above for hundreds of miles I've never had any heat related problems (or any other problems) with my DR. I have never considered trading it for a KLR. It suits me- ride what suits you.

...............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
The lower weight is a big plus on the dr.
It does NOT just have an oil cooler, its also got an oil spray jet under the piston that cools it with oil, plus the plated bore, no iron liner.

I bet people get the same amount of miles out of both engines.
I thought someone had 80,000 miles on a DR650.

I hear the DR is smoother and has more power, and I know it can run 80 mph all day, nice and smooth...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I think what you are missing is how the Suzuki SACS system works ... and just how much better it is than simple air cooling. You can Wiki it to learn more.

So NO ... its not just the oil cooler, it's the design of the patented SACS system that puts the DR650 out front of any other air cooled single: like the Honda XR650L radial valve engine, which is a chronic over heater/piston/cam eater. (I owned 3)

Look at the history on this system. Cycle World's Kevin Cameron did an very complimentary column about SACS system on the AMA championship GSXR's back in the early to mid 90's. At this time most all other OEM's had gone to liquid cooling. Suzuki resisted that trend in an effort to save weight (and no doubt re-tooling costs) They had great racing success with the SACS GSXR's for about 6 or 7 years and that technology trickled down to the DR650.

But as is typical in racing, HP output increased, so they eventually had to go with liquid cooled engines to keep pace with the competition.

Case in Point: The DR650 makes only 37 HP so is ideally suited to the Air/Oil SACS system.

The SACS system adds more oil galleries, specifically squirts oil up to the head and top of piston areas ... the hottest area of a motor. They use an upgraded two stage oil pump to increase flow for more heat exchange. It works quite well. Remember, this system was originally designed to cool 120 hp race bikes (Circa 1990), and it worked spectacularly in that venue.

Kevin Cameron gave a far more intelligent and high tech explanation of this system. Lost somewhere in the archives.

PS: I have yet to see or even hear about a DR650 overheating, or being damaged from overheating. They are not perfect, but over heating is just not an issue.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
Shadow5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
DR vs. KLR. It's like watching people play catch with a pinless hand grenade!

I won't weigh in on the fine details of cooling systems, but I have an 05 KLR, and my buddy has a 91 DR650. I will confess some DR envy on the trails (lighter weight), but he confesses KLR envy on the long rides to the trails (modicum of wind protection). I personally love all the little fixes and farkles I get to do on the KLR, so I don't think I'd trade it, in the end.

I would, however, maybe add a tasty little KTM trailbike...

Dave
Shadow5 is offline   Reply With Quote