Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5 View Post
DR vs. KLR. It's like watching people play catch with a pinless hand grenade!

I won't weigh in on the fine details of cooling systems, but I have an 05 KLR, and my buddy has a 91 DR650. I will confess some DR envy on the trails (lighter weight), but he confesses KLR envy on the long rides to the trails (modicum of wind protection). I personally love all the little fixes and farkles I get to do on the KLR, so I don't think I'd trade it, in the end.

I would, however, maybe add a tasty little KTM trailbike...

Dave

Just to clarify, the pre '96 DR is a completely different bike than the post '96's. They are great bikes as well and are actually more comparable to the KLR in my opinion. My brother has one and it is a good road bike but not nearly as sporty on road as the new DR. Off road it is a lot heavier and the ergos make it much more difficult to ride. They also have a chain driven counter balancer similar to the KLR which requires adjustment.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #17
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
I have had my 09 KLR (new left over) for almost a year. At the time I really wanted a DR650 but due to the incentives Kaw was offering on the left over KLR's it was $1000 cheaper then a left over 09 DR. My KLR has been great but still wished I would have gotten a DR LOL.
You should be fine with your KLR, but really depends on the type of riding you like. The KLR is a good all round bike. It needs stuff, just like the DR650 does. Once sorted out it will cover most of the bases just fine.

I've owned two KLR's ... rode a new '98 for six weeks through Baja and all through Mexico. For me, the DR650 is easier to handle off road and is smoother on the highway.

But KLR's are legend as round the world travel bikes. Ride which ever bike
works for you ... but realize none are perfect out of the box. Best to ride it for a while to learn what you can do to make it better suited to your type of riding.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
Try driving an aircooled car and a watercooled car, and see which needs a "refresh" after 40K miles. Aircooled hit the dustbin of history 50 years ago for a reason, IMHO. Even my VW Beetle has a watercooled Subaru engine now.
My 2004 BMW R1150RT air-cooled oilhead boxer was barely broken in at 40k miles - it'll probably outlast me. They're still making some pretty good ones.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,257
Wow...not only are you DR guys defensive, but stubborn too.

I never said they "overheat". I argued the point that stating the DR "isn't air cooled" is a giant load of horsecrap. In other words, I think this is a false statement. I didn't say air cooling sucks, or that DR's overheat, or that they were a bad bike.

Trying to blow smoke up my ass telling me that "all motors are essentially air cooled" is another load of horsecrap. . Whatever helps you sleep at night

air/oil cooled means air and oil cooled, not air over oil. They designed the oiling system to be very efficient at pulling heat from the engine...but it doesn't change the fact that it's still an air cooled engine.

DR and KLR guys...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,011
Quote:
I have had my 09 KLR (new left over) for almost a year. At the time I really wanted a DR650 but due to the incentives Kaw was offering on the left over KLR's it was $1000 cheaper then a left over 09 DR. My KLR has been great but still wished I would have gotten a DR LOL.
What color is it

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #21
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
I bought a DL650 and wish I'd bought a KLR. I also have a DR650. Are you proposing a Trade? I'm not far away.
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #22
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
You said it...I'm just poking holes in your statement, that's all

DR's are air cooled. It's an air cooled engine with an oil cooler. Period. Removing the oil cooler doesn't automatically make it overheat sure (but I'm sure it will tend to be more prone to overheating), but removing the cooling fins will make it overheat rather quickly, even if the oil cooler were double the size and had a fan

Yes, the addition of an oil cooler to an air cooled engine makes it better than an air cooled only engine (in my opinion).

You SURE about that are ya?
F.W.I.W. I had to bypass the oil radiator on my first DR650 (1991 model) when I smashed a big hole in it.
Being young and broke at the time (ever price a cooler for one of those?) I put severl thousand miles on that beast without an oil cooler and I can tell you that I rode her that way for damn near 10,000 miles before I got around to replacing it and had no overheating issues at all. PERIOD!

That old 91 didn't have the nikasil technology (for even greater cooling efficiency) behind it either, like the current generation does.

50,000 miles on both that old 91 and then my 97 (my 09 was stolen) and I never once had an overheating issue.

Read some KLR threads in regards to overheating and then get back to us.
Liquid cooling doesn't always make it better but it does ALWAYS make it more complicated.

I'm currently running a little Suzuki TU250X that's nothing but air cooled and have no problems with it overheating either. (another nikasil tech suzuki marvel!)

Perhaps you've had bad experiences with air cooled bikes because you choose the wrong brand. That's your problem, don't make it ours.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #23
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Holy FUCK

Do you read? All of it? Ever?

I said "more prone" (in other words, I'm saying the chance of overheating goes up, not guaranteed ). All I said is that it's less efficient at cooling without the oil cooler...probably slightly more, but close to, any other air cooled motor making 40-ish HP.

Am I now being told that the oil cooler adds no cooling benefits? That would prove my point.

Your example (the same example I had read in your previous tirades about the merits of your air cooled bike)is proving my point. Calling me names doesn't make me less right. I can do this all day...being right gives me moral strength to debate endlessly
09 TE450
Old 04-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #24
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

My air cooled ownership experience was nothing but pleasurable...friggin loved that bike

How did you guys turn this into an air cooled vs. water cooled fiasco? I certainly didn't, nor did I say anything negative about your beloved bike. Feel free to quote me otherwise
09 TE450
Old 04-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #26
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
Own both, love both water cooled and air cooled. Rode my friend's new KLR (2009) and wish I had one. Need to move some bikes out of the garage to make room.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #27
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
Try driving an aircooled car and a watercooled car, and see which needs a "refresh" after 40K miles. Aircooled hit the dustbin of history 50 years ago for a reason, IMHO. Even my VW Beetle has a watercooled Subaru engine now.

But yeah, as long as it lasts, it's simpler.
Go tell that to the LC4 owners........
You'll get the standard issue answer "But its a RACE engine"

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #28
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
It's too bad this thread is filled up with so much whining about what type of cooling an engine has, it's a pointless discussion.

I was on the fence about which to buy before settling on the KLR for my purposes. If my purposes changed to more off-road oriented I'd probably opt for a DR if I didn't go with a TE630.

I would like to hear from DR owners on how they've liked their bikes. I think Suzuki does some damn fine engine engineering. If they had been offering the DR with a big tank, a rear rack, and a little better passenger ergos and wind protection I'd probably be riding one now.

So far my KLR has surpassed my expectations in all areas except for one, oil consumption. They definitely F'd up on that little detail. The doohickey is a trivial fix in comparison. Ya ya, I know, ..... get a 685 kit.... heard it before.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #29
JeffD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
What color is it
black and loaded and immaculate.
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #30
JeffD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I bought a DL650 and wish I'd bought a KLR. I also have a DR650. Are you proposing a Trade? I'm not far away.
Maybe what year DR? My KLR is loaded and pristine not a mark or ding.
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote