Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #31
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
i had a 99 klr and now a 05 dr. no regrets. dr is a much better bike for what i do and for me. it's more offroad capable. i added a 5 gallon tank, sargent seat, rear rack and a small windscreen plus did suspension work.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #32
eakins
Butler Maps

all i know is my klr overheated a few times and dr never has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Wow...not only are you DR guys defensive, but stubborn too.

I never said they "overheat". I argued the point that stating the DR "isn't air cooled" is a giant load of horsecrap. In other words, I think this is a false statement. I didn't say air cooling sucks, or that DR's overheat, or that they were a bad bike.

Trying to blow smoke up my ass telling me that "all motors are essentially air cooled" is another load of horsecrap. . Whatever helps you sleep at night

air/oil cooled means air and oil cooled, not air over oil. They designed the oiling system to be very efficient at pulling heat from the engine...but it doesn't change the fact that it's still an air cooled engine.

DR and KLR guys...
Butler Maps website:
Old 04-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #33
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
It's too bad this thread is filled up with so much whining about what type of cooling an engine has, it's a pointless discussion.

I was on the fence about which to buy before settling on the KLR for my purposes. If my purposes changed to more off-road oriented I'd probably opt for a DR if I didn't go with a TE630.

I would like to hear from DR owners on how they've liked their bikes. I think Suzuki does some damn fine engine engineering. If they had been offering the DR with a big tank, a rear rack, and a little better passenger ergos and wind protection I'd probably be riding one now.

So far my KLR has surpassed my expectations in all areas except for one, oil consumption. They definitely F'd up on that little detail. The doohickey is a trivial fix in comparison. Ya ya, I know, ..... get a 685 kit.... heard it before.
I'd been jonesing for a KLR for a number of years, when push came to shove and it was time to buy, I opted for the simpler, and slightly more agricultural DR650.

I've ridden the bike long distances on the highway, in the mountains, to and around Death Valley and in town. I've had no regrets, and for me it's my touring bike as my other rides are scooters (have toured on my Vespa though, quite nicely). My 09 DR has been stone reliable, fine on the freeway, and most importantly an entertaining and engaging bike to ride. I would not hesitate to ride it anywhere, or consider another.

My ONLY gripes with the DR are the size of the fuel tank, the need to address the NSU screws (after how many years of production?), and the lack a tachometer. Oh, and the seat..it's a 200 mile seat as far as mine (seat) is concerned.

IMO-Suzuki could offer an "LE" version of the DR with some minimal bodywork, better instrumentation and seat, and a larger tank....charge a "bit" more for it, and snag some KLR buyers without redesigning/retooling the bike while retaining the current version for the more off-roady DR buyer.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #34
eakins
Butler Maps

last month a started my dr to run it a bit in the garage and get the motor running again for the season. well 1 time i forgot i started it and went back inside for over an hour. i went back into the garge and said oh shit it's been idling for an hour. ims tank was unreal hot and it was venting gas fumes out the cap & pouring a ton of heat out of the oil coller. anyway i shut it down worried i did damage...motor is fine, no leaks, no issues, runs fine, tank is fine. i'm convinced beyond belief that the cooling system works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I think what you are missing is how the Suzuki SACS system works ... and just how much better it is than simple air cooling. You can Wiki it to learn more.

So NO ... its not just the oil cooler, it's the design of the patented SACS system that puts the DR650 out front of any other air cooled single: like the Honda XR650L radial valve engine, which is a chronic over heater/piston/cam eater. (I owned 3)

Look at the history on this system. Cycle World's Kevin Cameron did an very complimentary column about SACS system on the AMA championship GSXR's back in the early to mid 90's. At this time most all other OEM's had gone to liquid cooling. Suzuki resisted that trend in an effort to save weight (and no doubt re-tooling costs) They had great racing success with the SACS GSXR's for about 6 or 7 years and that technology trickled down to the DR650.

But as is typical in racing, HP output increased, so they eventually had to go with liquid cooled engines to keep pace with the competition.

Case in Point: The DR650 makes only 37 HP so is ideally suited to the Air/Oil SACS system.

The SACS system adds more oil galleries, specifically squirts oil up to the head and top of piston areas ... the hottest area of a motor. They use an upgraded two stage oil pump to increase flow for more heat exchange. It works quite well. Remember, this system was originally designed to cool 120 hp race bikes (Circa 1990), and it worked spectacularly in that venue.

Kevin Cameron gave a far more intelligent and high tech explanation of this system. Lost somewhere in the archives.

PS: I have yet to see or even hear about a DR650 overheating, or being damaged from overheating. They are not perfect, but over heating is just not an issue.
Butler Maps website:
Old 04-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #35
eakins
Butler Maps

funny i found the klr operation to be more agricultural.
dr operates much more smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
I'd been jonesing for a KLR for a number of years, when push came to shove and it was time to buy, I opted for the simpler, and slightly more agricultural DR650.

I've ridden the bike long distances on the highway, in the mountains, to and around Death Valley and in town. I've had no regrets, and for me it's my touring bike as my other rides are scooters (have toured on my Vespa though, quite nicely). My 09 DR has been stone reliable, fine on the freeway, and most importantly an entertaining and engaging bike to ride. I would not hesitate to ride it anywhere, or consider another.

My ONLY gripes with the DR are the size of the fuel tank, the need to address the NSU screws (after how many years of production?), and the lack a tachometer. Oh, and the seat..it's a 200 mile seat as far as mine (seat) is concerned.

IMO-Suzuki could offer an "LE" version of the DR with some minimal bodywork, better instrumentation and seat, and a larger tank....charge a "bit" more for it, and snag some KLR buyers without redesigning/retooling the bike while retaining the current version for the more off-roady DR buyer.
Butler Maps website:
Old 04-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #36
eakins
Butler Maps

big thing is both are great bikes.
for those taller klr is better
for those shorter dr is better.
Butler Maps website:
Old 04-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #37
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
Maybe what year DR? My KLR is loaded and pristine not a mark or ding.
I think it's an 07, stock except for fork springs, petcock and choke knob, not immaculate but very clean. It's at a different house right now or I could tell you the mileage, but it's low.
Can you describe "loaded"?
lamotovita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #38
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350

About seven Guiness's

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #39
JeffD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I think it's an 07, stock except for fork springs, petcock and choke knob, not immaculate but very clean. It's at a different house right now or I could tell you the mileage, but it's low.
happy trails skid plate and pd crash bars, bark busters, sargent saddle, rear pelican box, upgraded rear shock spring, an extra lower tooth cs sprocket, eagle mike fork brace and on and on lol.

JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #40
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
A little too loaded for my tastes. Maybe we need a 3(or more) way trade.
lamotovita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #41
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
I would like to hear from DR owners on how they've liked their bikes.
It's ok, but I had to replace my chain at 22,000 miles (80% pavement), it was almost worn out. Although the rear sprocket showed very little wear, I replaced both.

SACS engine, gear driven counter balancer, negligible vibration, a lot lighter (366 to 432), lower seat height possible (zero cost, with original, stock parts), easy screw adjust rocker arms; no radiator fan issues, no water pump issues, no doohicky, no recalls, one for rotting rubber pieces on the KLR and a 685 kit isn't in my future.

Aftermarket: RT / Cogent suspension upgrade, skid plate, Corbin, FMF (stocker is just too heavy), safety wired NSU.

Quote:
My only concern with my KLR is the oil consumption.
Quote:
So far my KLR has surpassed my expectations in all areas except for one, oil consumption.
They definitely F'd up on that little detail.

Oh, and no adding oil (3500 mile oil changes).

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #42
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
funny i found the klr operation to be more agricultural.
dr operates much more smoothly.
Speaking in terms of features (bodywork, essrntially) and more dirt-oriented then the Kawi....)
Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #43
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I would like to hear from DR owners on how they've liked their bikes. I think Suzuki does some damn fine engine engineering. If they had been offering the DR with a big tank, a rear rack, and a little better passenger ergos and wind protection I'd probably be riding one now.
Plenty of used DR650's out there with better seats and big tanks ... even windshields. But the KLR is a slightly longer and wider platform ... so probably better for 2 up. If you're leaning towards a TE630 .. I'd take a real close look at just how small they are. Great fun to ride ... for Solo, short distances!

Quote:
So far my KLR has surpassed my expectations in all areas except for one, oil consumption. They definitely F'd up on that little detail. The doohickey is a trivial fix in comparison. Ya ya, I know, ..... get a 685 kit.... heard it before.
A friend has an '09 as well, but kept his highly farkled original version. Both use oil, with the new one using the most. He says now ... ALL the new KLR's use oil. I'm surprised. He's says its no longer a big deal (for him). He really likes the bike, just tops it up a bit every 2 to 300 miles.

Speaking of two up .... I've noticed lots of KLR guys really load up the bikes. Thing is, it's the DR650 that actually has a stronger frame and more robust rear sub frame. The KLR is notorious for breaking the bolts ... and more. I've been on two rides where this happened. Once in Moab (unloaded KLR) and again in Baja. (loaded with only a 20 lbs. tail pack)

Most DR650 riders don't tend to load up as heavy as the KLR guys and many DR guys go with soft luggage. But the DR is totally capable of carrying a big load. Like the KLR, if you do this, suspension mods must be made ... and more.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #44
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
last month a started my dr to run it a bit in the garage and get the motor running again for the season. well 1 time i forgot i started it and went back inside for over an hour. i went back into the garge and said oh shit it's been idling for an hour. ims tank was unreal hot and it was venting gas fumes out the cap & pouring a ton of heat out of the oil coller. anyway i shut it down worried i did damage...motor is fine, no leaks, no issues, runs fine, tank is fine. i'm convinced beyond belief that the cooling system works.
Holy Shi€#§¨ Man, if I did that ... i'd be sleeping in the back yard for a week. My GF hates fumes, oil, grease and chemical smells in general.

Yea, I was convinced beyond a doubt after a Summer run through Death Valley in 118F heat. My DR was cool as a Cucumber, never broke a sweat, sounded sweet, smooth and quiet at idle. Try that on a R1200GS (I have!!) Holy crap ... sounds like a Massey-Ferguson tractor!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #45
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Holy FUCK

Do you read? All of it? Ever?

I said "more prone" (in other words, I'm saying the chance of overheating goes up, not guaranteed ). All I said is that it's less efficient at cooling without the oil cooler...probably slightly more, but close to, any other air cooled motor making 40-ish HP.

Am I now being told that the oil cooler adds no cooling benefits? That would prove my point.

Your example (the same example I had read in your previous tirades about the merits of your air cooled bike)is proving my point. Calling me names doesn't make me less right. I can do this all day...being right gives me moral strength to debate endlessly
F.W.I.W. I read and comprehended everything you said but, decided to play with your words the same way you did with the other guy.
IRRITATING ISN'T IT! (when only key phrases are selected and warped out of view)
As for the oil cooling not adding to the cooling of the bike...my oil temp gage did read higher without it but never at a level that I felt would compromise the reliability of the engine.
So my statement about it not overheating without the oil cooler is still valid and PROVES NOTHING in regards to what you're saying. I never said the temps didn't rise, I said it didn't overheat.

I could also be like you and play this mincing of words game all day long... What else would you like to say that I can distort since it's obviously a game you like to play.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote