Old 04-26-2011, 04:15 AM   #46
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Holy FUCK

Do you read? All of it? Ever?

I said "more prone" (in other words, I'm saying the chance of overheating goes up, not guaranteed ). All I said is that it's less efficient at cooling without the oil cooler...probably slightly more, but close to, any other air cooled motor making 40-ish HP.
But it does have an oil cooler so, aside from trolling, what's your point?
The "surely" part of your statement (of the "more prone" comment) is contradictory to what you're saying here. "Surely" implies absoluteness.

Am I now being told that the oil cooler adds no cooling benefits? That would prove my point.
Clarified this above in post #45

Your example (the same example I had read in your previous tirades about the merits of your air cooled bike)is proving my point. Calling me names doesn't make me less right. I can do this all day...being right gives me moral strength to debate endlessly
Now again, please clarify what points are "proven"?
All I see "proven" in this thread is that the DR's A/O cooling system is simpler and superior to that of a liquid cooled bike that's not making excessive horsepower.
Some high H.P. Bikes NEED liquid cooling to be reliable, not the DR.
The KLR on the other hand, has liquid cooling, makes around the same H.P. and STILL isn't as reliable in the cooling department.

Ps. Sorry for calling you a name but your dicking around with another guys words deserved it. Did he really need to spell out what he was trying to get across 100% or do you really just enjoy mincing other guys words? Deleted the name calling to show sincerity on my part.

rivercreep screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 04:25 AM
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #47
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
blah blah blah.....if you don't own and love DR's you suck...blah blah blah...air cooling is god...blah blah blah...I will never admit that anybody who doesn't own and ride a DR may have a valid technical point...blah blah blah... I will always perceive any comments about my beloved DR by a non-DR owner to be a personal attack...blah blah blah

Is your DR air cooled?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #48
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,429
I didn't "dick around" with his words, I quoted and disputed them.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #49
Blackshirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Does this forum have a personal messaging feature?

I've owned a KLR (1999 model). Pretty much trouble free...my biggest problem was fasteners loosening up sometimes (especially the windshield, header heatshield, and radiator shroud bolts). The bike was versatile, cheap to own, and was supported by a superior aftermarket. It was great on roads (especially dirt roads), but I didn't like it at all on singletrack. If I was interested in picking up a dual sport today it would probably be a DR, but only because I have other bikes. In a one-bike garage, the KLR is the stuff.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #50
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Yea, I was convinced beyond a doubt after a Summer run through Death Valley in 118F heat. My DR was cool as a Cucumber, never broke a sweat, sounded sweet, smooth and quiet at idle. Try that on a R1200GS (I have!!) Holy crap ... sounds like a Massey-Ferguson tractor!
Is that a liquid cooled Massey Ferguson?
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #51
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
DR's aren't air cooled. They are air/oil cooled. Big difference, they never overheat and last as long as a KLR, while at the same time haveing less to go wrong.
This is true,DR's last about the same as a good KLR with out the long term oil burning the KLR's are known for.
Ive had friends ride my DR,friends who used to own KLR's.
Each one has said the same thing thing when they hop off the DR.

I want one of these!

Neither bike does anything even remotely spectacular,but each can be set up to work ok for various things.
Hard to get around the wt/flex of the KLR though.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #52
farrington300
No wait....What?

Oddometer: 519
I have a KLR 685 with every upgrade under the sun. 685, seat, suspension, BC fairing, doo, t bob, IMS tank, etc. etc. I would trade for a stock DR right now. Open to offers.
farrington300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #53
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
Can you put a picture of it up please?

My DR

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #54
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,458
I looked long and hard at both, before settling on the DR. It's lighter, smoother, more powerful engine and better suspended for off-road use. Both can use suspension help, but the DR has more travel to work with. In addition, I'm cheaper than a KLR owner. To be ready to ride in the woods, locktite the NSU screws and it's good to go. On the KLR, doohicky, rear sub frame bolts and Thermobob. It's somewhat of a wash, the DR needs a bigger tank and rack, which the KLR addresses stock.

The '08+KLR has too much nice, shiny, expensive plastic for the kind of riding I do. I can toss an inexpensive aftermarket windshield on the DR and have most of the benefit of the (early) KLR fairing...and have something that's less expensive to replace when it gets broken.

Both are great, inexpensive bikes. As so many others have said, if I were running alot of highway and mild gravel roads, the KLR would be nice for the wind protection. For dirt roads, mild trails and mostly running around on backroads at modest speeds, I give the nod to the DR.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #55
farrington300
No wait....What?

My klr...
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #56
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
I have a Trailtech Vapor on my DR. I've seen 367 deg indicated (the sensor is mounted to a spark plug). It was running fine at the time and continues to run fine since. I'm thoroughly impressed with how this bike runs. I especially like that it doesn't burn oil like it's going out of style. :)

Yeah the KLR's better on the highway, for some I guess. Mine's plenty comfy on the highway. The newer KLRs are certainly better LOOKING... but I like the lighter weight.

For some, the KLR is the best choice. For others, the DR is the best choice.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #57
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Some high H.P. Bikes NEED liquid cooling to be reliable, not the DR. The KLR on the other hand, has liquid cooling, makes around the same H.P. and STILL isn't as reliable in the cooling department.
When I used to read the KLR forums I remember some guys really looked into the cooling system on the KLR. They found it wanting. Apparently the water channels were inadequate and not all that effective at cooling the engine evenly, so it had "hot spots". Out of all this came the Thermo-Bob device to help the motor run cooler.

IIRC (and please, KLR guys, correct me if I'm wrong) the new version KLR ('08 onward) have a redesigned cooling system. Better water flow. Know idea if the "new" KLR's stay cooler than original ones.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #58
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post

Blah, Blah Blah Blah Blah....I'm a Trolling Dickhead who now has to resort to fucking around with peoples quotes because I can't make a good argument stick....
Previous apology rescinded for the name calling.

I don't view what you're saying as a personal attack at all. It's just that your ignorance of how well the DR's cooling system works is pitiful and your comments anecdotal at best since it's obvious you've never owned one based on your comments.
How the hell can you even consider yourself qualified to comment on it?
(and I do have personal experiences with the KLR F.W.I.W.!)(old Gen)

Now do a reach around, grab ahold of your neck and then, pull your head out of your ass.

Now to test the ignore function for the very first time.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #59
farrington300
No wait....What?

When I used to read the KLR forums I remember some guys really looked into the cooling system on the KLR. They found it wanting. Apparently the water channels were inadequate and not all that effective at cooling the engine evenly, so it had "hot spots". Out of all this came the Thermo-Bob device to help the motor run cooler.

This is not true, the t bob is designed to prevent temp fluctuation. Because the t bob has a larger bypass it helps prevent fluctuation in coolant temp reaching the motor. In other words the motor would get hot and the thermostat would open and release a bunch of cold water into the motor, then it would cool off, the thermostat would close, the motor would heat up and repeat. The T bob stops this with a larger bypass hole, so a little more "hot" water is mixed back into the cold water from the radiator. A side benefit was that the bike heats up quicker and it will actually run at operating temp when its really cold out. All of this is to prevent the cylinder from going out of round (the main reason for oil burning). The cooling system on the KLR with the T bob is really good over a wide range of conditions. Mine never over heats and I run it in deep sand for miles on end.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #60
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrington300 View Post
This is not true, the t bob is designed to prevent temp fluctuation. Because the t bob has a larger bypass it helps prevent fluctuation in coolant temp reaching the motor. In other words the motor would get hot and the thermostat would open and release a bunch of cold water into the motor, then it would cool off, the thermostat would close, the motor would heat up and repeat. The T bob stops this with a larger bypass hole, so a little more "hot" water is mixed back into the cold water from the radiator. A side benefit was that the bike heats up quicker and it will actually run at operating temp when its really cold out. All of this is to prevent the cylinder from going out of round (the main reason for oil burning). The cooling system on the KLR with the T bob is really good over a wide range of conditions. Mine never over heats and I run it in deep sand for miles on end.
It's been years since I've read the KLR forums ... so thanks for clearing that up. My memories were slightly different than yours but I probably go back a ways and I'm sure more has been learned about all this. I've forgotten most of what I knew about KLRs, sorry. But I think what I said basically concurs with what you've said ... KLR suffered from UNEVEN HEATING and hot spots. The Thermobob helped with this. Am I close here? Have you seen inside the KLR and seen the water channels? I saw them online years OK, and my faint memories were that KLR Forum "experts" claimed they were somewhat inadequate ... I've forgotten most specifics.

Do you know if KHI up graded the cooling system (water channels, radiator, water pump) on new version KLR? Anything changed at all?

A cylinder getting out of round would explain oil burning on old version KLR, but what's the explanation on the NEW version KLR's, which burn oil from day one?

I know quite a few new KLR riders who got KHI to take the bikes back. Some got new motors or motors rebuilt. The rumors I heard was that pistons were not correct or somehow faulty??. Not sure. So what is really going on? Do you think KHI is ever going to address these issues?
I could see another, all new KLR650 coming down the line very soon. The carb'd version will have to go ... and soon, as it will no longer pass EPA.
Seems to me KHI should have addressed all this in '08 with the new model. Be interesting to see how they handle ever tightening regs. Suzuki are in the same boat with their DR650 ... which already can't be sold in most EU states.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 01:16 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote