Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #61
farrington300
No wait....What?

Oddometer: 511
It is my understanding (not 100% sure) that Kawi did upgrade the radiator on the 08 model, it is a little bigger and more effective. This is why I think the 08s had such bad oil burning problems...with a more effective radiator the temp spikes would be even more extreem. My guess is that some time in 08 or 09 they changed the cylinder wall material/metal process, which has helped with the oil burning issue. Please correct me if Im wrong, I really dont know or care about the gen 2 KLRs. Too much of a road bike for me to study.
farrington300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #62
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,114
A friend in Reno got a 2009 KLR about a year ago. He had read on the forums about the oil burning, so he's been extremely careful about break-in. He has around 1000 miles on the bike so far (maybe a bit more) and so far, no burning. He's keeping his fingers crossed. Now he needs to do that Doohickey thing.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #63
Milosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
Try driving an aircooled car and a watercooled car, and see which needs a "refresh" after 40K miles. Aircooled hit the dustbin of history 50 years ago for a reason, IMHO. Even my VW Beetle has a watercooled Subaru engine now.

But yeah, as long as it lasts, it's simpler.
Porsche 911s were air cooled until 1997.
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #64
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Previous apology rescinded for the name calling.

I don't view what you're saying as a personal attack at all. It's just that your ignorance of how well the DR's cooling system works is pitiful and your comments anecdotal at best since it's obvious you've never owned one based on your comments.
How the hell can you even consider yourself qualified to comment on it?
(and I do have personal experiences with the KLR F.W.I.W.!)(old Gen)

Now do a reach around, grab ahold of your neck and then, pull your head out of your ass.

Now to test the ignore function for the very first time.
What are you talking about? What argument are you making? What argument am I not making stick? What did I say that gave you the idea I was being negative towards the DR's cooling system, or was ignorant regarding it?

Use quotes and examples, back yourself up, or STFU. You have once again resorted to name calling rather than having an intelligent debate backing yourself up in a clear and coherent manner...you're not even having the same debate.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #65
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,149
Rivercreep and bobnoxious, thanks for making this thread so much fun!

Meanwhile, back at the subject...

I've had both. Once, I bought a beater year-2000 DR650 with over 20k hard miles, and I had to get rid of it. Agricultural, crude, and slow. I thought, "Why, a nice, water-cooled, sophisticated KLR650 would do very nicely. I think I'll buy one!"

So I did, a nice shiny 1-year old one with only 1 or 2k miles, and found it... crude, slow, and agricultural!

Then, after a few more bikes, I realized I really wanted a dual-sport to do light trail riding but was OK on the highway, and I found the DR650 to be the perfect blend of purpose, capability, and most of all, looks!

The DR looks like a dirt bike should, and the KLR doesn't. It's all subjective. Both are pretty good, all-arounders that don't do anything exceptionally well, except put a smile on your face.

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #66
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
What are you talking about? What argument are you making? What argument am I not making stick? What did I say that gave you the idea I was being negative towards the DR's cooling system, or was ignorant regarding it?

Use quotes and examples, back yourself up, or STFU. You have once again resorted to name calling rather than having an intelligent debate backing yourself up in a clear and coherent manner...you're not even having the same debate.

Whatever! I already did. All you have to do is read back to the yellow highlighted parts.
You made assumptions that I highlighted in my first response and gave plenty of clarification on.
Now to move on to keep from further detracting from this thread.

Sorry guys!

Bob, ya wanna argue more...pm me.

Having just received a pm from Bob...
I think I misread the dude so I'm offering up a public apology here!

Gotta give credit to someone who takes the time to e-mail you to resolve a personal dispute!

rivercreep screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 01:27 PM
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #67
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
I've had both. Once, I bought a beater year-2000 DR650 with over 20k hard miles, and I had to get rid of it. Agricultural, crude, and slow. I thought, "Why, a nice, water-cooled, sophisticated KLR650 would do very nicely. I think I'll buy one!"

So I did, a nice shiny 1-year old one with only 1 or 2k miles, and found it... crude, slow, and agricultural!
I had similar revelations regards the DR650. In the 80's I was a Honda guy all the way. XL's, XR's and XR-L in the 90's. I was riding Enduro then on two strokes and had street bikes too.

We had a DR650 test bike in 1997 and somehow my first impression was not that good, I remember it was unstable at high speeds on highway, don't recall much else about it. Never spent much time on the bike ... but turns out it would come back to me later ...

The old '97 DR650 was still around ... and we started riding it more. Had over 30,000 miles at this point. Somewhere along the way a light went on!
I started to "get" the DR650.

I'd been trying to ride Vstroms on dirt at that time () so the DR650 was truly a breath of fresh air. Loved it. I bought my own the next year and have never looked back. The same has happened to several experienced riders in the press. Peter Egan (Cycle World) and Dave Searle (Motorcycle Consumer News) to name just two. Both have become Big Time late comer DR650 fans. (like me!)

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 08:51 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #68
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Arguing between KLR vs DR is like arguing if Vanilla or Vanilla Bean is better. There are more hard core dual sports available right off the floor for more money. I have this dark desire to own a Husky TE630, but for the very few times I go hard off road, it isn't worth the $8k+ for something so focused. Same with the aprilia RXV. I personally don't care for Suzuki as a brand so I never considered a DR. It doesn't make the DR a bad bike, just personal preference. The XR650L is one ugly motorcycle with that tail light appendage. I have always had a thing for lime green Kawasaki's so it was down to finding a 2006 (the only year they made it) or a F650 Dakar. I was determined to get the Dakar when I stumbled on an incredibly clean, very well documented and maintained 2006 KLR about an hour away. I love the bike and it does what I need it to do as I have a hard core sport bike and am looking at getting a sport tourer. My oldest daughter likes to go for rides and the TE & RXV aren't really 2 up bikes. People need to decide what is right for them and get what they want without feeling the need to belittle others choices.

Edit - here is a pic of mine. I have put money into it and I'm not done yet. I enjoy the adding process.
Attached Images

Royal Tiger screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 06:44 AM
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #69
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
For the most part (with a few obvious exceptions) no one is belittling the KLR. Really there is a lot of miss information and prejudice about these two bikes and it helps to shed a little reality on the subject. When I was looking for my first dual sport I had never even heard of a DR, you say dual sport and everyone said KLR. The truth is that there other bikes besides the KLR that can go down the freeway as well as run off road. I think that a lot of people ended up with KLRs because they are so well known, when in reality they would be better served by a GS, DR or XR. I think the main reason so many KLR owners are adamant about it being THE dual sport is that they have never tried the competition and lets face it, if you've never tried a different flavor then of course you are going to like yours best. I have let a lot of people ride my bike over the years, several of them KLR owners, and to my knowledge at least three have immediately sold their KLR's and replaced them with DR's, not because they were bad bikes but because the DR fit there needs better. One of the people was a friend who was taking off for SA for a year, he sold his fully set up KLR two months before leaving after riding my DR for a few hours. He said he had simply never considered one before because KLRs were all you hear about. I have ridden several KLRs before and after I purchased my DR and would never consider buying one, there was nothing about them that I liked better than the DR, except of course the seat.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #70
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,363
The best bike to ride is the one you have!

Ride!
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #71
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Arguing between KLR vs DR is like arguing if Vanilla or Vanilla Bean is better.
I don't think they are really that much alike. Not only in technical terms, but in personality and riding character ... very different machines, IMHO. Ride both ... them comment.

Quote:
I personally don't care for Suzuki as a brand so I never considered a DR. It doesn't make the DR a bad bike, just personal preference.
Maybe you owned Suzuki's back in the 60 or 70's to have such an opinion? (the "bad old days"?) Suzuki have hit several home runs over the last 20 years ... very few misses in my experience:
GSXR's: Has any sport bike done more? Or received more accolades?
SV650: one of the best "do it all" fun bikes ever made, huge seller.
V-Stroms: 1st reliable and affordable adventure bikes. Many now with over 100K miles and counting. Legendary reliability.
DR650: Best true 650 class dual sport bike since 1996. (unheralded)
DR350: Awesome light weight dual sport. Unsurpassed until ...
DRZ400E and S: First modern, liquid cooled, lighter, sportier dual sport 400cc class bike. Game changer and still a super popular bike.

NOTE: Every single one of the above bikes has proven to be most reliable in class. Compared to any Euro bike, not even close reliability wise.

Quote:
The XR650L is one ugly motorcycle with that tail light appendage.
Did you own an XR650L?
Looks aside, the Honda is a pretty good bike and will run rings around your KLR in any off road situation. I owned a '93. At the time the XR650L won all the dual sport shoot outs, year after year. Lots of guys tried to make them into Baja racers and lots of guys found the limitations of the Honda ... including me. A good bike with limitations.
After only about 5000 miles and a year I sold mine off. It did OK in Baja but was lacking everyplace else.

The real problems with the XR-L did not center around looks ... but weak subframes, broken battery boxes and overheating motors. But the suspension was best of the bunch (this pre Husky and KTM).

With the right mods the KLR can be transformed. The new version the OP has is improved in a few good ways over the original. Decent brakes (original KLR brakes were just plain dangerous), bigger front forks, better damping, better cooling, better looking.

But it still needs a better seat, a doo hickey and sub frame bolts. Not a big deal. Oil burning to me is no big deal ... within reason. Kawi should have gone to F.I. in '08. They will have to do this soon anyway, should have done it then. Now, it will be more costly but they will have no choice. Hopefully when they do that they can do a good upgrade. Really, an all new motor is called for. A modern version of what they've got. Good economy, more power, lighter weight. $$$$
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #72
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
Both are pretty good, all-arounders that don't do anything exceptionally well, except put a smile on your face.

Yeah, that!
IdahoRenegade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #73
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,331
"Originally Posted by Royal Tiger
I personally don't care for Suzuki as a brand so I never considered a DR. It doesn't make the DR a bad bike, just personal preference."

Yeah, it's preference, for sure. I prefer Suzukis over all others. So damned reliable.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #74
JeffD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
I did compare an 02 dr650 to an 02 klr back in 02 and did end up getting the 02 klr as I thought it was a better bike back then based on test riding on the street. This new 09 is just such a tank off road if I had to do it over again I would have spent the extra money and gotten the dr. i see now suzuki has the incentives on left over 09's. My 09 has not burned a drop of oil as of yet but only has 5000 miles but it has seen 75mph highway duty so hopefully I got a good one that way. I wish it just were not such a pig off road. I also would perfer air/oil cooling vs the h2O cooling as I have owned 3 beemer oilheads and 2 harleys and never an issue with air vs a hole poked in the radiator in the middle of nowhere.
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #75
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
I did compare an 02 dr650 to an 02 klr back in 02 and did end up getting the 02 klr as I thought it was a better bike back then based on test riding on the street. This new 09 is just such a tank off road if I had to do it over again I would have spent the extra money and gotten the dr. i see now suzuki has the incentives on left over 09's. My 09 has not burned a drop of oil as of yet but only has 5000 miles but it has seen 75mph highway duty so hopefully I got a good one that way. I wish it just were not such a pig off road. I also would perfer air/oil cooling vs the h2O cooling as I have owned 3 beemer oilheads and 2 harleys and never an issue with air vs a hole poked in the radiator in the middle of nowhere.
I'd forgotten about the Suzuki incentives! Wow! Huge discounts! Honestly,
I'd sell off the KLR, take the loss the step up to the DR650 while the incentives are still offered.

One of the things I first noticed with the KLR off road was that the KLR felt quite big from the riders perspective. Standing up on the pegs and seeing that huge tank and fairing before you really puts you off.

As a dirt bike guy I'm used to having nothing in front of me and the skinny DR really feels "right" off road. So Mentally, the DR really has the advantage as the KLR kind of scares you until you get used to it. Once you get going you quickly realize that not only does the DR "feel" right, it actually works well in the dirt and even deep sand.
Good luck and safe riding whatever you end up doing!