Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 AM   #91
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
I've ridden both. The advantage to me is the significantly lighter weight of the DR650 compared to the KLR. I also prefer the simplicity of air cooling over water cooling.

On the road, in stock form, Id give the KLR an edge. The seat is wider and the bike seems more at home running the highway than does the DR in stock form.

Everybody is different. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and desires. Try them all and ride what you want.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 AM   #92
JeffD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Yes , many compromises. It's all in taste and preference. I had a really nice wee strom but only put 1500 miles on it before selling. It seemed too heavy for anything but pavement. I am getting old. The DR 650 does it all for me but the new KLRs look awesome. Love to have one.
where are you located?
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:55 AM   #93
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
NE Ohio

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #94
JeffD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
A little too loaded for my tastes. Maybe we need a 3(or more) way trade.
It is easy for me to pull stuff off LOL. hmmmm
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #95
grogger123
fatbastard

Oddometer: 467
Wasnt the original question "anybody buy a DR650 who wished they bought a KLR?"

I have bought a DR and thus far I havent wished I bought a KLR. The reason being the riding I have done so far has been better suited to the DR as it has been mainly dirt, including a long stretch of deep, soft, rutted coastal sand along the far south coast of Western Australia going to a place called Israelite Bay. I was pretty happy with my choice that day.

In a months time I am riding 3500km on the bitumen along the Eyre Hwy across the Nullabor Plains to Melbourne. A mate of mine has a 2011 KLR and he may come along as well. I strongly suspect there will be times on that trip where I will really wish I was on my mates KLR and not on the DR. A long (read really, really long) largely straight road, with prospect of hours and hours of cross winds, rain, road trains and 'roos will probably make me wish I was on a heavier, softer sort of a bike.

So really its horses for courses. The DR for me is better when the road gets tougher. When the road is mainly bitumen and straight, I think the klr wins pretty comfortably. If it is a mix of both, well, take your pick. At the end of the day they are both well made, reliable, economical bikes. I like both of them. Here in Australia at least I think the KLR is much better value straight off the floor. You really dont need to do a great deal to be off and touring. With my DR I got the Seat concepts seat, Safari Tank, ventura rack, just to get the DR to a similar starting point as the KLR. I was happy to spend the money because the DR is a more suitable platform for the riding I hope to be doing. When I bought it, I wasnt really contemplating the long across Australia trip. I think it will do it fine, but even with the mods I have made, I think that kind of trip would be more comfortable on the KLR.

That being said, I would rather do the Great Central Rd, the Gibb River Rd or the Tanami Track on my DR.
grogger123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #96
koorbloh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogger123 View Post
At the end of the day they are both well made, reliable, economical bikes.
I, for one, can't disagree with this....
Old 01-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #97
ericos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I'd take the KLR over a DR any day. The KLR has a bigger tank, is heavier and is more complicated which allows for more fiddling and repairs. It also looks like shit which means it often goes unnoticed by potential thieves.

I feel so bad for all you unfortunate DR owners that I'm willing to take one of your inferior DR's off your hands. Send me a PM if you want to sell I'm in South Oz
ericos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #98
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericos View Post
I'd take the KLR over a DR any day. The KLR has a bigger tank, is heavier and is more complicated which allows for more fiddling and repairs. It also looks like shit which means it often goes unnoticed by potential thieves.

I feel so bad for all you unfortunate DR owners that I'm willing to take one of your inferior DR's off your hands. Send me a PM if you want to sell I'm in South Oz
Your FIRST post on advrider, and you make swarthy comments about other people's choice in bikes, and use sarcasm?

You'll fit in here fine! Welcome!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #99
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Somehow I missed this thread the first time around.

I had a 89 and a 2002 KLR 650 as well as a ?? KLX 650. I now have a 2009 DR650 and can't see ever going back to a KLR. At 6' 2", the KLR fit me better and came with a bigger gas tank. That's it for the KLR advantages. The DR runs really smoothly, doesn't require oil at every gas stop at highway speeds, and feels much lighter.

The whole air vs. liquid cooling bruhaha doesn't matter because the DR650 doesn't overheat any more often than KLRs do. In my experience, cooling isn't an issue on either so why bother with the added complexity of liquid cooling?

They're both fine bikes but I'm a DR guy now.... Until I spot a smoking deal on a KLR.
xKLR_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #100
chucky004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I bought a DL650 and wish I'd bought a KLR. I also have a DR650. Are you proposing a Trade? I'm not far away.
I just bought an 11 orange klr. I would trade for a DR in a heartbeat if I could find one with low miles
chucky004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #101
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKLR_John View Post
Somehow I missed this thread the first time around.
Me too, subscribed !

I'm keeping my beloved 07 DR650, although I'll keep my eyes open for a DRZ650SM,
should it ever surface...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #102
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
Your FIRST post on advrider, and you make swarthy comments about other people's choice in bikes, and use sarcasm?

You'll fit in here fine! Welcome!

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #103
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Seven pages and all I've learned is that the KLR is liquid cooled, and the DR is...Well shit, I still don't know.
Another glorious and educational ADV tech thread!
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #104
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
Seven pages and all I've learned is that the KLR is liquid cooled, and the DR is...Well shit, I still don't know.
Another glorious and educational ADV tech thread!
Try the index threads for tech info ... or ask any questions on the BIG DR650 thread.
DR650 Index:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32

DR650
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135295

There are also several good KLR threads ... and forums like KLR.net Most are responsive to queries from Noobs.

Within the BIG DR thread there are pages and pages comparing KLR to DR650 ... with the DR usually coming out on top, which you would expect on a DR thread.

You can also track down many former KLR owners (like me!) who switched to a DR. Both are good, solid bikes. Can't really go wrong with either. In terms of doing any serious dual sport touring/Adventure riding both, iMHO, are a better choice than any KTM, BMW or Husky. Japanese reliability trumps all other factors in the end.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #105
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 204
My best riding buddy has a KLR. I have A DR. We swap out all the time on trips.

One thing that most don't read here is that the KLR goes really well in the dirt in the hands of a good rider. My friend steve does ridiculous things with that 09 KLR.

I like his seat a lot better, I can jump better.

That is all.
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote