ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Northeastern Minnesota

It is sounding like there are a lot of adventure riders in our area so if anyone wants to post any thoughts or upcoming rides of local interest feel free to share them here.
arrowhead rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,400
I'm up in Kenora, which puts me closer to MN than most of Ontario. Two hours down to your sandbox, or two hours to Winnipeg. How far north are you?
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,613
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

So far most of the local riders are between Duluth and Grand Marais but we are interested in what our near northern neighbors are up to as well.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,591
There is always a few of us that head to Ely once or twice a year. Will keep you guys in mind for our next run.

On another note, anyone know if and when the next Aerostitch Rally is scheduled for ? Just curious, had a blast at the last one.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 712
Sat Apr 30

So, there's talk about a ride from Grand Marais Sat, Apr 30. My vote is to ride up the Gunflint to Greenwood, cross over the top of Greenwood and head to Portage via Ringo Road. I want to hit the Pigeon River overlook again, plus see if I can get in to Partridge Falls. S&T shows a road to the falls, and I've never checked it out. Time/meet location to be figured out soon; Arrowhead Rider???

If C-Zulu is coming, probably 10AM or so would be a polite meet time. Java Moose to meet in the morning? Let us know Jerry. Nace can meet us in town or at the Greenwood cut-off.

Pie/late lunch at Hovland Store is logical, since we'll be passing by.

As a thought, I wonder what the snow condition is up the hill. I've been working on Caribou, and there's plenty of snow. Plowed roads are clear and mud now.

MikeS screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 05:17 AM
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,676
Have a couple rides into your neck of the woods this summer with the wives etc but not sure how far in the dirt we will be going.

Want to do the Orr - Ely - Grand Marais loop at least once.

Also have a ride into the Houghton - Copper City - Keweena Peninsula planned, then around Lake Superior in September.

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,243
I'm out for the 30th (Work) Somebody take pics at the overlook please..

Does anyone have this coming Monday free? (May 2nd) If there isn't a foot of snow on the ground, I'm up for a ride.. Is the Delta Diner open ?
http://www.deltadiner.com/ Looks like they're open Mondaze..
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR

c-zulu screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 10:46 AM
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
So, there's talk about a ride from Grand Marais Sat, Apr 30. My vote is to ride up the Gunflint to Greenwood.....
I saw Nace today, and he's out on the dirt. C-Zulu is out. Unless I can get Woody S to come, it's me and Arrowhead. Java Moose??? What time??? I can go any time, earlier than 10AM is fine.

Hope the snow stops and then melts. This weather sucks!

C-Zulu: I'd love to ride the sand in the Bird Sanctuary east of Gordon, and eat at Delta Diner. I just heard about DD this spring, and haven't been there. Monday won't work, weekends are best for me. Enjoy if you go solo.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
There is always a few of us that head to Ely once or twice a year. Will keep you guys in mind for our next run.

On another note, anyone know if and when the next Aerostitch Rally is scheduled for ? Just curious, had a blast at the last one.
Backroader- I've been waiting to hear when you guys were going to reschedule your Ely ride. I'm guessing no date yet. I'll inquire at aerostich next time I'm there on the rally. I Know they have alaska,new mexico, and south american for tours this year.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
So, there's talk about a ride from Grand Marais Sat, Apr 30. My vote is to ride up the Gunflint to Greenwood, cross over the top of Greenwood and head to Portage via Ringo Road. I want to hit the Pigeon River overlook again, plus see if I can get in to Partridge Falls. S&T shows a road to the falls, and I've never checked it out. Time/meet location to be figured out soon; Arrowhead Rider???

If C-Zulu is coming, probably 10AM or so would be a polite meet time. Java Moose to meet in the morning? Let us know Jerry. Nace can meet us in town or at the Greenwood cut-off.

Pie/late lunch at Hovland Store is logical, since we'll be passing by.

As a thought, I wonder what the snow condition is up the hill. I've been working on Caribou, and there's plenty of snow. Plowed roads are clear and mud now.
I'll be there sat. morning in Grand Marais. Still working on the time. I talked to my father-inlaw and he still cant drive his truck to his cabin yet do to snow. The cabin is near Lost lake-brule river. I am thinking we are going to have to stick to plowed gravel roads but i'm willing to try whatever you have in mind.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Have a couple rides into your neck of the woods this summer with the wives etc but not sure how far in the dirt we will be going.

Want to do the Orr - Ely - Grand Marais loop at least once.

Also have a ride into the Houghton - Copper City - Keweena Peninsula planned, then around Lake Superior in September.
All very fine rides. I am taking my daughter around Lake Superior and to copper Harbor in june or august. keep us updated on dates for Orr,Ely and Grand Marais.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,591
No date set for Ely, will have to wait and see if Humvee gets some free time as he was going to set this one up.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,233
Howdy all,

I just want to say hi, and throw my hat in the ring as a Northeastern Minnesota rider. I haven't met most of you yet...ok, so I actually only know one of you. I expect that will be changing. I live in Two Harbors and work in Schroeder.

Anyway, I'll definitely be up for some group rides. Right now, I've only got the KLX250S, so the dirtier the better, though I commute Hwy 61 to work on the thing regularly, so I'm not adverse to pavement (it's just slow and a bit boring on my bike).

Right now, I'm waiting on parts - I lowsided on Stewart Lake in early March and broke the shift star. Should I not have been riding without studs? ...it seemed like a good idea. I'm hoping to have it back together this weekend. 2 months off the bike is a long time...but I digress.

Here's to a good summer riding season.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Howdy all,

I just want to say hi, and throw my hat in the ring as a Northeastern Minnesota rider. I haven't met most of you yet...ok, so I actually only know one of you. I expect that will be changing. I live in Two Harbors and work in Schroeder.

Anyway, I'll definitely be up for some group rides. Right now, I've only got the KLX250S, so the dirtier the better, though I commute Hwy 61 to work on the thing regularly, so I'm not adverse to pavement (it's just slow and a bit boring on my bike).

Right now, I'm waiting on parts - I lowsided on Stewart Lake in early March and broke the shift star. Should I not have been riding without studs? ...it seemed like a good idea. I'm hoping to have it back together this weekend. 2 months off the bike is a long time...but I digress.

Here's to a good summer riding season.
Welcome. I am also from Two Harbors. I'm thinking the drummond line and stewart lake had plenty of snow in march. Sounds like fun. I wasn't so adventurous untill april. I am heading up to Grand Marais this sat. to join Mike S. Get yourt bike fixed so you can join us next time.