ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #121
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Um, I guess the log pile I had just cleared is just outside of the frame. Yeah, that's it...there was an old pile of abandoned timbers. Partially rotted and really gnarly. Just begging to be conquered. (This field was the site of an old logging camp, you know.) Yep, got over the logs, but was a little off balance and had to bail to avoid the family of field mice right in front of me. They were really cute.

...Or I guess it could have been the classic diagonal limb lying on the ground. Just screwing around in the field, caught it with the front tire, which followed the limb instead of my intended path and washed out. Rookie move, really. ...Wait...I mean I was demonstrating the type of thing a rookie might do. There, that's my final answer, I was intentionally showing what not to do.
Ya, those two inch Aspens can be a widow maker some times! Arrowhead, have been looking at a KLR650 how is it lifting these beasts off the forest floor? Are you guys going to be on that June 17th ride? I am thinking of trying to get up there for that if the Walleye's are biting!
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #122
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-tell-sore! View Post
Ya, those two inch Aspens can be a widow maker some times! Arrowhead, have been looking at a KLR650 how is it lifting these beasts off the forest floor? Are you guys going to be on that June 17th ride? I am thinking of trying to get up there for that if the Walleye's are biting!
Well the only reason the bike is on the ground is because I wanted to answer the same question! conclusion-try and keep it upright! I plan on being there and hopefully Lutz is too.-The walleyes are always biting! somewhere. at some time. for some people. occasionally.
arrowhead rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #123
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,162
Yeah, I'm going to try to get in on some of the June 17-19 action, depending on what the rest of my life requires of me.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #124
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Just thought of a couple more interesting rides in the near future for anyone interested. One is up near Isabela lake. i recall the road going for quite a ways past the parking lot. Another would be the road around whiteface, frear, timber and elbow. i drove my jeep around those lakes a couple years ago and think it would be fun on a bike.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #125
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead rider View Post
Just thought of a couple more interesting rides in the near future for anyone interested. One is up near Isabela lake. i recall the road going for quite a ways past the parking lot. Another would be the road around whiteface, frear, timber and elbow. i drove my jeep around those lakes a couple years ago and think it would be fun on a bike.
Rode those Routes, interested for sure.
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #126
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 679
Cook County logging road opportunities

Quote:
....a couple more interesting rides in the near future for anyone interested.
AND, I've been looking in my home area; riding from the Gunflint Trail at the Greenwood Road towards Lost Lake area should be interesting too. I'm thinking to stay below Greenwood Lake and head east on the logging trails/roads. I've never gone through there, although I know a lot of logging happened in that general area. Firebox Road is one to follow. Plenty of opportunity to get stuck and get lost, I am sure. This weekend and next are tied up for me though.

Arrowead; I looked up what the Wanless Road is and I've been on that road a lot. It's the gravel road directly east from Isabella, and it connects to the Parent Lake Road going towards the Sawbill and the Grade, plus the Cramer Road to the south towards Trestle Pine. I just never knew it by that name. I lost my headlights on that road on my pickup one moonless winter night.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #127
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
AND, I've been looking in my home area; riding from the Gunflint Trail at the Greenwood Road towards Lost Lake area should be interesting too. I'm thinking to stay below Greenwood Lake and head east on the logging trails/roads. I've never gone through there, although I know a lot of logging happened in that general area. Firebox Road is one to follow. Plenty of opportunity to get stuck and get lost, I am sure. This weekend and next are tied up for me though.

Arrowead; I looked up what the Wanless Road is and I've been on that road a lot. It's the gravel road directly east from Isabella, and it connects to the Parent Lake Road going towards the Sawbill and the Grade, plus the Cramer Road to the south towards Trestle Pine. I just never knew it by that name. I lost my headlights on that road on my pickup one moonless winter night.
The good thing is we've got a lot of options. I think there's an almost endless supply of forest and logging roads to explore north and west of two harbors and silver bay...well throughout the arrowhead. I'm busy on the next few weekends, I think. I'm not sure about everyone else, but weekday rides might be an option for me once in a while.

Lutz screwed with this post 05-21-2011 at 07:10 PM
Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #128
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Will definately keep that in mind.You are talking after work or on your days off?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #129
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

That's a lot more original than telling HER that you ran out of gas! I hope it worked! I look forward to riding some more cook county roads with you. Maybe in a few weeks then.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #130
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Quote:
I lost my headlights on that road on my pickup one moonless winter night. AND That's a lot more original than telling HER that you ran out of gas! I hope it worked!
Actually, she was with me. However, in true north woods style and true north woods pickup fashion; I had both some wire laying under the seat plus I was able to fashion a hot lead from the battery direct to one headlight. It worked, although it was quite dark in the work area where I had to connect the wire to the headlight.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #131
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Quote:
Will definately keep that in mind.You are talking after work or on your days off?
Both. My work hours are fairly flexible, assuming I don't have pressing matters to address - I could leave early in the afternoon or take a day off here or there.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #132
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Quote:
Actually, she was with me. However, in true north woods style and true north woods pickup fashion; I had both some wire laying under the seat plus I was able to fashion a hot lead from the battery direct to one headlight. It worked, although it was quite dark in the work area where I had to connect the wire to the headlight.
Thank goodness for spare odds & ends and MacGyver ingenuity!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #133
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

MikeS- A couple weeks back you asked what could be better than riding to Dryden for work and getting paid. Well how's this- Riding to grand Marais tommorrow to deliver a bid on the roadstar. eight hours pay for handing over an envolope and five hours of riding time!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #134
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Quote:
...how's this- eight hours pay for handing over an envelope and five hours of riding time!
For your paid riding time tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be nice. Enjoy your day of toil!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #135
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Stopped and checked out Tommymerle's art gallery yesterday. He has some very interesting projects going on so if anyone is in the area I encourage them to stop and see. Watch out for his two attack dogs though! One of them I swear must have weighed at least 15 lbs and had the teeth to back them up!