User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
Travop OP
Freakazoid

Oddometer: 52
KTM 640 Adventure: Is it any good?

I'm thinking about buying one of these. I've read two reviews that say it's ultra reliable and awesome, has anyone owned one of these and had any major issues with it?
Travop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,552
Yes they are very good - but you should post over in thumpers - KTM twins here.... and theyre better
Old 04-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
Travop OP
Freakazoid

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Yes they are very good - but you should post over in thumpers - KTM twins here.... and theyre better
Haha yer yer, I guess I can't argue with that, it's like saying a hyundai excels better then a ferrrari cause it has less cylinders
Cheers
Travop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
Groundhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I sold one when I bought my 990. Great machine. I moved to the 990 only because at highway speed the 640 got a little buzzy. I would ride a lot of dirt trails/roads 50 miles or so miles out and then 50 miles asphalt back. As I started extending that 50 miles I decided on the 990.
I like the 640 way better in the dirt. The 990 way better long distance. (Usually make a 2,000 mile or so annual trip somewhere, 1/4 dirt, on the 990. Wouldn't really want to do that on the 640). But then I'm an old f**ker. When I was younger I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

groundhog

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I like the 640 way better in the dirt. The 990 way better long distance. (Usually make a 2,000 mile or so annual trip somewhere, 1/4 dirt, on the 990. Wouldn't really want to do that on the 640). But then I'm an old f**ker. When I was younger I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

groundhog
.....Me too...I was thinking 690E, did some road miles on one...I'm old f**ker now I guess.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
gregneedham
I seem to fall often

Oddometer: 854
Just finished a ride from Key West to Austin on my 640A. It was a great ride. The LC4 can run at 6000 rpm all day long. It's buzzy, but you get used to that.

I love my 2002. I came from an 1150GS and haven't looked back.

Greg

My 640 Adventure blog
My 1150 GS blog (retired)
Memphis to Moab - TAT 09 Blog
designkeywest.com
gregneedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
sjeproductions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Huge Fan!!

I've had mine for a little over a year now and can't think of a better machine as far as balance of off-road and on-road capability.

I've logged plenty of off-road miles (loaded and unloaded) and it is a blast to ride when you hit dirt. The road miles aren't so bad, but if that is what you prefer, you might want to look for a 950A. It's a fair bit heavier, but plenty of power, very capable off-road (in the right hands) and can log miles for days on the tarmac. if you do get a 640A, I would recommend getting the suspension reworked. The stock setup is a little soft and over damped.

Oh and don't worry about the vibrations, they really aren't that bad and seem to go away with the twist of a throttle!
sjeproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
basepc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
are you tall and have no nerves in your butt

I owned a 2001 640 adventure. It was painful on pavement (even with a modified gel seat), an absolute dream on dirt and gravel (where the rough roads negated the vibration pain), built for tall folks (with more than a 34 inseam), other than a luggage system this bike has all the dual sport requirements but is not exactly simple to maintain. It seems to be easy to get one of these with low miles because of some of these negatives. There was a range of years there where the main bearing was an issue I think.
basepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,008
There not for everyone.

I think they are a brilliant all round bike, but many people would disagree.

To me, tar is just for transport sections or when I have to get some where quick, so I value off road performance over pleasant highway manners.

And besides, you can ride anything on tar.

Tar is boring anyway.

I don't see the maintenance as being difficult, but yet again, I value performance over an extra 15 minutes a month on an oil change.

I have done less work on my 640, than I had on my old DR at 65000K, it is off the road now waiting for a new piston, clutch bearing and top end rebuild, just because I think the old girl deserves it, not because she needs it yet.

Mine vibes so much that it will move around if it is on the centre stand and is revved, but I have never noticed the vibrations on the dirt.

I have heard a lot of complaints about the seat on the early ones (mine is an 02), but I thought it was a bit to wide and soft so now it has a 92 enduro seat with 01 SX 125 foam in it so I can move around easier on it, but I value freedom of movement over having a nice comfortable seat to sit on for hours on end.

And I am a firm believer in training your but to shut up and deal with it (I couldn't think of a way to say that any other way with out it sounding gay).

But a lot of people can and do find these characteristics hard to live with, and they are much happier with a much broader focused bike like a DR or KLR, and then personalising it to what they want.

It is a much better way to go for some people.

I have owned an old DR, and could never go back (I was trying to make it a 640 anyway).

Depending on your needs the 640a can be very hard to live with, or an absolute joy to own, or somewhere in between.

So in summery, great bike for dirt, and looking good, but not for everyone.

And you are the only person who can say if you are the right type of person to live with one.

Oh and you don't need to be tall, there a dirt bike for Christ sake, you don't need to put both feet flat on the ground at the same time, and I value long travel suspension over being able to place both my feet flat on the ground when I am on a firm flat surface...

That and I am 5,10 with short legs, so there aren't to many dirt bikes I could do that on anyway.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #10
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
It's a shame they don't make them any more.

The 690 is an awesome machine, but isn't in the same class as the 640 Adventure.

IMHO, the bike is indeed a compromise. When I'm on the highway, I wish for a larger bike. When I'm off road, I wish for a smaller one.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 02:38 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #11
Dave KLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I have a 2001 adventure it is my second. I love the bikes, the looks, the performance and quality all make up for its downsides in my book! Grab one if you can and have fun!
Dave KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:09 AM   #12
Pcq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Great bike... this machine is all about feeling... yeah it buzzes, but you are so well connected all of the time... just does everything well. Highway is the weakest point, but you know what I now just look for backroads all the time!!

Just a great package (ha, he said package..!), everything is at the same high level: engine, bakes, chassis & suspension... plus you get awesome range with that tank (mine is 28l, more than the 1100GS I was coming from). All mechanical, no electronics (but you have an elec start!) , easy to fix anywhere in the world... a great bike to travel to africa with...

For someone who wants only one bike and good enough for serious offroad, I think theres nothing better. For anything better offroad youd have to forget daily commutes and city use or look into a trailer ...

dont think twice...!! You wont regret it!!
Pcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:26 AM   #13
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Thumb

I've luckily got an '07 (last year they were made), and I WILL NEVER SELL IT!!

I love the bike!!!!

It is just so versatile.....dirt, gravel, pavement....the bike does it all.

I had a DRZ400s before, and while it was good in the woods, it lacked power and was not very comfortable on the pavement. Plus it was a bit small.

The KTM is just as good in the woods....has way more power, and is great on the pavement. It is a large bike, but fits me perfect.

It vibes a bit, but only at certain rpm's, but that is a negligible complaint compared to all of the positives. I have ridden mine for 3 years now, with zero issues. Oil changes are a bit more involved, but not a big deal.

I've also got a Renazco Racing seat in suede.....awesome comfort!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #14
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,370
The 640 Adventure is an awesome bike. I few blokes I ride with have one.
And if i wasn't 5'4" i'd have one as well.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #15
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
The 640 Adventure is an awesome bike. I few blokes I ride with have one.
And if i wasn't 5'4" i'd have one as well.

The girl who rode that bike is only 5' 3".. Just sayin'

Build thread if you're interested:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=lowered
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote