Pcq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkerfluid View Post

The girl who rode that bike is only 5' 3".. Just sayin'

Build thread if you're interested:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=lowered
What tyres do you have on there?? I need to get me some new ones and those look great for serious offroad
Pcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #18
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Those are Dunlop 606's, I had them on my 640 too.. My 690 came with MT21's though, and I think I actually like them more. Just my opinion though, either tire is probably fine. Both are a 90/10 dirt oriented DOT tire.. if you want something more dirt oriented than that but still DOT check out the Pirelli Scorpion Pro.
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Wicked Ouch

[QUOTE=Blinkerfluid;15772315]

The girl who rode that bike is only 5' 3".. Just sayin'

That was a low blow. It looks like she had the forks and shock shortened. That is V-strom travel range.
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #20
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Yea, I think it still had about 6.5"-7" of travel, but it was also much lighter than a v-strom and it looks better . She had the suspension lowered 3" I think (Maybe 4", but for some reason I don't think it was actually lowered that much), resprung and revalved for her weight and riding style.. The bike performed very well offroad, especially in rocky sections. Practically no deflection on baby-head rocks, the bike would just roll over them.. Here are a couple short clips of her riding it:

Well I was trying to embed those, but it's not working for me for some reason.. I'll try to fix it later, for now you can just click on the pictures if you want to watch the videos.
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,736
Wickedly beautiful cult classic

T,
If you need to ask I would consider something else.
It is not a machine to learn on.
It's more like grad school for a doctorate in dual sporting.

If you don't know what you are doing it will cause you some grief especially if you use it hard.

The machine was designed for Paris Dakar racing and KTM won with it.
The non race version sold to the public is designed for off road touring and dual sporting and for travel in the second and third world.

There is no other machine like it, it is special because of it's suspension, fuel carrying capacity, aerodynamic cowling with dual lights, brakes, tire size and general quality.

The owners are all a little weird and eccentric, a cult.

The machine is a classic in it's weight class.

The motorcycle's looks are wickedly beautiful.

It is no longer made and has not been replaced except by the 690 and a pile of money.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #22
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
T,

If you don't know what you are doing it will cause you some grief especially if you use it hard.

The non race version sold to the public is designed for off road touring and dual sporting and for travel in the second and third world.

There is no other machine like it, it is special because of it's suspension, fuel carrying capacity, aerodynamic cowling with dual lights, brakes, tire size and general quality.

It is no longer made and has not been replaced except by the 690 and a pile of money.
bill
Spot on.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #23
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,339
I Love this bike.

I was worried about the vibration - yes its a bit more, but seriously - people who complain about it are seriously off base. I hardly notice the way the bike purrs/shakes.

It - Just - Does - Everything.

It IS the perfect all around bike.

You can TEAR it up offroad, you can luggage it up and take it 10,000 miles without a hiccup, you can rip around town on it like a super moto (albeit a slightly heavier one).

I cannot say enough about the 640 Adventure.

I even ride it through winter (when the roads aren't icerinks !)

Find one and ride it. The 640 Adventure is like Opera - You either absolutely LOVE it of you absolutely hate it.

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #24
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,227
It is the best bike ever. The only bike I ever had that compared was the original Yamaha Tenere, itself also a great bike and much-loved, but simply not in the same class by any stretch. The KTM is just so good.

If you didn't get a factory-allocated 660 Rallye then you would have bought one of these and visited the hardparts catalogue, then gone and raced Dakar. It eats anything in it's path, and is a far and away better bike than I am a rider. Road, trail, track, desert, you name it.
I'm not selling mine either.

Mine's a 2003 model and doesn't shake for some reason (I got lucky?).

PS It's not a novice bike either.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #25
theunionjack
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hey y'all, just out of curiosity, why specifically does it cause grief for the noobs? sounds like maintenance schedule and performance are not a big deal, so where is the learning curve exactly? just taming her abilities? i too am falling in love with this bike, but want to know what i'm getting into!
theunionjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #26
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Its not a starter bike

But if you have some experience you can handle it. The motor pulls smoothly like a tractor. So it only goes as fast as you twist the throttle. I you are coming from a very light 400cc or less there is a size difference. But nothing you cant adapt too with a little time.Dont let these big mouths scare you off. They think they are more skilled than they are. Like we all do.
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #27
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
...It's more like grad school for a doctorate in dual sporting....
I think Bill hit the nail on the head.

I had been riding dirt bikes for over 30 years when I got mine and it took quite a while to master the beast, both wrench-wise and riding-wise.
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #28
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
For me it really depends on what type of riding you'll be doing. The 640 is a blast down gravel roads but for me it was a handful on tight trails and you only have to lay it down once with a full load of fuel to say you'll not do that again. I have owned 2 and enjoyed them both. I switched over to the XR650R and then I put a few features of the KTM that I enjoyed like the long range fuel tank....plus the aftermarket for the XR650Rs is still robust and in the US there is a Honda shop just about anywhere you go...KTM parts can take a while to arrive.

Bottomline is you need to find a bike that you feel comfortable on but you can grow your skills with...If this is your first dual sport bike, I would opt to go with a Suzuki DR650 for a year or two then move up to the KTMs.
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #29
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunionjack View Post
Hey y'all, just out of curiosity, why specifically does it cause grief for the noobs? sounds like maintenance schedule and performance are not a big deal, so where is the learning curve exactly? just taming her abilities? i too am falling in love with this bike, but want to know what i'm getting into!
Guessing it's not a novice bike because it is not a light bike compared to a 450 full blown dirt bike, with a full tank it can be very top heavy, often catching you ( meaning me) off guard doing tight turns on a single track.

'91 Vespa PX 200E "Lusso"
'05 KTM 640 ADV "Fatman"
'99 HD FLHRCI "Leviathan"
Laromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #30
B.Ross
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
T,

bill
Perfectly Stated. Especially about the owners If you have to ask just move along........
B.Ross is offline   Reply With Quote