Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #31
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
I had an 01 640e for a while. Fantastic fun when it was running but unfortunately mine was a "Friday bike". Do you guys know that expression? Built on a Friday afternoon when everyone is in a rush to get out the door. The engine was apart more than once and I was glad to move it on as it was a liability. For some reason you seem to either get a good one or a bad one with the 640. I know quite a few folk who have spent a lot of money having engines repaired or rebuilt.

I agree with the comments though. Very capable but not a bike for novices. They are quite tall and top heavy (even the 640e without the fairing). I always found that where I could steer a lighter bike around obstacles the 640 would catapult itself forward, when the throttle was twisted, and I ended up hanging on tight as the bike launched itself off whatever was in its path. Perhaps a more skilled rider would find it easier, but for me the bike is definitely suited to gravel tracks more than the tight stuff.

Strange, but I now ride an Xchallenge which weighs the same and is equally tall but I find it easier to ride. Perhaps I am a better rider now but it seems to carry its weight lower down and be more controlable. It certainly has a smoother engine and so far has needed far less maintenance.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #32
vainamoinen
Bumblebee master

Oddometer: 36
Hi all,
What kind of range(consumption) can one expect from and 640 adventure? I am really torn between this one and a 660 tenere. The tenere is more expensive and new but... i like the ktm as well. Never ridden the yammie nore the ktm.
vainamoinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #33
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by vainamoinen View Post
Hi all,
What kind of range(consumption) can one expect from and 640 adventure?

Pryor to me getting my Duke, my google-fu abilities researched and found 55 was a common number.

Tho weight and gearing may mar things up a bit...
Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #34
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
another fuel economy sample

Quote:
Originally Posted by vainamoinen View Post
Hi all,
What kind of range(consumption) can one expect from and 640 adventure? I am really torn between this one and a 660 tenere. The tenere is more expensive and new but... i like the ktm as well. Never ridden the yammie nore the ktm.

My ( 100% stock, original BST40 carburetor ) 2007 640 Adventure tends to get 48 miles per US gallon
( 4.9 L/100km ) riding without a passenger and almost no luggage weight.

This consumption gives a range of 250 miles ( 402 kilometers ) with the stock fuel tank, before needing to
switch to the reserve tank.

I am sure it is possible to get better fuel economy than this, if the bike is ridden in a sedate fashion, but I've
never had that much patience :-)

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 12-14-2011 at 04:17 PM Reason: added info
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #35
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Another opinion on the 640 Adventure

I've been riding for many years and I've owned & ridden a lot of different bikes, everything from road racing Yamahas
to 2-stroke Husky motocross bikes, to BMW "airhead" touring bikes to Honda sport bikes.

I think the 640 Adventure is the most versatile bike I have ridden. I liked it so much I
bought one, and every time I ride it, the bike puts a smile on my face.

The various issues and items which benefit from modifications are well documented in various threads on ADVrider.

The bike remains in a class by itself and is head and shoulders above other similar bikes with respect
to its wide range of capabilities and the high quality of its components. It also has systems which are
inherently more reliable than those of many newer bikes which have fuel injection and other more complex
bits such as ABS ( which an off road bike decidedly does not need ).

As someone ( I think it was BMWKTM Bill ) said : "the 640 Adventure is a graduate-level course in
dual sport motorcycling". ( I may have misquoted this slightly but the essence of the statement is
true ).

Buy carefully and have the bike inspected pre-purchase by a real expert and you will have
a bike you can enjoy for many years.
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #36
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I think they are a brilliant all round (offroad) bike...To me, tar is just for transport sections or when I have to get some where quick, so I value off road performance over pleasant highway manners.

And besides, tar is boring anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
There is no other machine like it, it is special because of it's suspension, fuel carrying capacity, aerodynamic cowling with dual lights, brakes, tire size and general quality.

It is no longer made and has not been replaced except (possibly) by the 690 and (investing) a pile of money.
bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
It is the best (multi purpose offroad) bike ever.

It eats anything in it's path... Road, trail, track, desert, you name it.

I'm not selling mine...
+ 1. Agree totally with all of the above...

And regret that I still don't have mine in the garage (should never sold it... as bmwktmbill wrote; it's a cult classic).

Irreplacable now...

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #37
greentree428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
The 640 Adventure is an awesome bike. I few blokes I ride with have one.
And if i wasn't 5'4" i'd have one as well.
I'm 5' 7" with a KTM meant for a 200lb rider and I have plenty of control. Boots help. But with one foot down its all good. A 990 might be more intimidating...
greentree428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #38
greentree428
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post

And I am a firm believer in training your but to shut up and deal with it (I couldn't think of a way to say that any other way with out it sounding gay).
In my opinion you basically just have to shut up and take it. Did that help at all? Whether you consider it a pounding or smooth its all subjective. I love my 02 LC4with her supermoto rig but my only other experience was on an 81 Honda 250XL which was uncomfortable as sh** for anything past 50 miles. Don't mind this seat at all but haven't taken her for a long ride yet..
Old 12-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #39
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,563
Oh man, I love my motorcycle!!!

Here's the 'cult classic' in action this summer.

Miles City, Montana to Tomahawk, Wisconsin.
965 miles.
20 hours.
Crusing for the crib.

Or this...

Last winter in Guatemala.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-16-2011 at 11:00 PM
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #40
KTMatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
To put it simply the 640 Adv is the bike that can do it all.

There are plenty still running around as stock as the day they came out of the shop which says a lot for the bike and then you have the ones that get a little worked over to suite there owner. Look at bmwktmbill's bike which looks to be lowered and then mine has been liftered to 300mm at the front and 330mm at the rear a 41 FCR , Staintune , MSC Rally Kit and damper ,custon dash with builtin GPS, Rally Bash Plate and 15.5L rear tank for the long trips.

My bike is like the Jeckel & Hide of bikes. From one ride to the next it could be cuting through the tuffest single track leaving those little bikes in its dust to covering 1500km in a day to over night camping trips to hill climbs to just ducking up the road for some bread and milk.

If you want a bike to do it all just save your self the time and get the almighty KTM 640 Adv.

Taking on the tuff stuff

Leaving all the litte bikes behind. The mighty 640 was the only one to get to the top of Pork Chop Hill out of 6 others

Taking in the sunset with tHEtREVE at Canron Corner after 1500km in under 14hr.

Enjoying the wide open spaces.

This bike will be in the shed for quite a few years yet.

Cheers Matt
Old 12-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #41
greentree428
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyw View Post
But if you have some experience you can handle it. The motor pulls smoothly like a tractor. So it only goes as fast as you twist the throttle. I you are coming from a very light 400cc or less there is a size difference. But nothing you cant adapt too with a little time.Dont let these big mouths scare you off. They think they are more skilled than they are. Like we all do.
HEHE I went from a 250 to that with a full aftermarket Akra exhaust. Even though mine is 2002 it was scary fast at first. Now I want more unfortunately because this apparently is addicting, but seriously could never sell my 640. It's just too much all around fun. Size wize I got used to it farely quickly but the speed I still have to be careful with around corners.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #42
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMatt View Post
Taking in the sunset with tHEtREVE at Canron Corner after 1500km in under 14hr.

Cheers Matt
And for that trip I rode for a few thousand Ks in 5th because I lost the gear lever just past the halfway point on day one of a four day trip.

And it still has the same clutch plates in it from the day it was made...

Tough bikes.

And here is a vid from my last trip on it...

Not my most elegant moment, considering I had a brand new T63 on the back...

(And thanks to El Toad Man for capturing it.)

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .

tHEtREV screwed with this post 12-18-2011 at 02:31 AM
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #43
Pokey66C23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
great bike

You can't go wrong with a 640Adv. Make sure it was well cared for, oil and filter changes, valve adjustments, etc. Be religious about your maintainence and it'll serve you well. I could never sell my 03, maybe the 99e, probably not the 97. I did buy a low miles 02, BMW 1150GS for long highway trips. The BMW is a pleasure to roll up highway miles on, but could NEVER move my fun meter in the dirt like a 640 does. 25 years from now these bikes will be seriously sought after machines, classics before their time.

If KTM started up the line on these bikes tomorrow - they'd sell.
Pokey66C23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #44
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
I had an 01 640e for a while. Fantastic fun when it was running but unfortunately mine was a "Friday bike". Do you guys know that expression? Built on a Friday afternoon when everyone is in a rush to get out the door. The engine was apart more than once and I was glad to move it on as it was a liability. For some reason you seem to either get a good one or a bad one with the 640. I know quite a few folk who have spent a lot of money having engines repaired or rebuilt.
I think I musta got a 'Wednesday just before the quality audit' bike Mine's been great - I did the cam bearings, water pump & sprag clutch at 50 K km & she kept on trucking til 95K km & a major rebuild then. Other stuff - chassis bearings, suspension etc has been the same or better than anything similar. Good stuff.

Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #45
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey66C23 View Post
If KTM started up the line on these bikes tomorrow - they'd sell.
Never a truer word was spoken in here. Well said.

"Dont let these big mouths scare you off. They think they are more skilled than they are."
Strange, I thought I said explicitly the bike was much better than I'd ever be?
The remark about novices applies because they go like cut snakes, mine with stock gearing is geared for 196kph in top gear, and I'm kinda thinking it will get there too. It's one fast single.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote