Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #46
Bo_9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Nope, they suck. You can't hardly ride them anywhere...

Really this is one that I'll ride till there are no more parts left.
Then put it on the shelf just to stare at...
Bo_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #47
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,618
Damn... you guy's have me think'n hard about a 640 now!
On my 3rd engine (now a 705) in the KLR and only time will tell if this one will hold up without blow'n on me.
I know a twin will live longer under my wrist than these thumpers... BUT I'm not ready to gain that much weight yet
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #48
mancunian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
amazing! not just good

as has already been said, in a class of its own, even the oldest models are superb adventure bikes there really is no competition
Attached Images

mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #49
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
I'd sure like to find one close by that I could test ride as I have been intrigued with the 640A for a long time. I have ridden old Triumphs twins for a few decades so I know what vibration feels like but would like to see how the 640 compares. I like the size and weight of my DR350 but wish it had the power of my old R100GS.

marksbonneville screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 02:19 PM
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #50
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
I'd sure like to find one close by that I could test ride as I have been intrigued with the 640A for a long time. I have ridden old Triumphs twins for a few decades so I know what vibration feels like but would like to see how the 640 compares. I like the size and weight of my DR350 but wish it had the power of my old R100GS.
Well then it really sounds like you want a 640 ADV just shy of the R100GS and a bit heavier than your DR350 give a little on both sides and you end up on the 640. I'd consider giving up my XRL for one.
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #51
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,286
Horrible bikes, no fun, steer clear

'91 Vespa PX 200E "Lusso"
'05 KTM 640 ADV "Fatman"
'99 HD FLHRCI "Leviathan"
Laromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #52
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laromonster View Post
Horrible bikes, no fun, steer clear
+1 on no fun:)

Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #53
Shiveley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I love my 99. Highway, singletrack, sand dunes. It can do it all. It's a tough bike that can handle any terrain. As others said, its at home in the dirt. It will do highway, but it prefers the frontage road. My main qualm is it is heavy and super tall, which makes for interested technical off road riding. All that being said, If you want to ride fast on rough mountain roads and then ride it home its an awesome bike!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #54
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Best allaround bike ever built!!
We need a 2013 model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #55
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 533
Buy. Ride. Smile. A bunch. Rinse and repeat. I don't think you can go wrong with a 640A. Even if you don't like it, there's a line of people waiting to buy them.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #56
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 533
You know how someone's always putting up the "Sign the petition to have yamakawazuki bring the whatever kinda bike to the USA"? We oughtta do a "Start building the 640 Adventure again" one... First in line.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #57
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
I had an 01 640e for a while. Fantastic fun when it was running but unfortunately mine was a "Friday bike". Do you guys know that expression? Built on a Friday afternoon when everyone is in a rush to get out the door. The engine was apart more than once and I was glad to move it on as it was a liability. For some reason you seem to either get a good one or a bad one with the 640. I know quite a few folk who have spent a lot of money having engines repaired or rebuilt.
My 00 640E must've been built on Friday by the same fellow the year before.
Quote:
I agree with the comments though. Very capable but not a bike for novices. They are quite tall and top heavy (even the 640e without the fairing). I always found that where I could steer a lighter bike around obstacles the 640 would catapult itself forward, when the throttle was twisted, and I ended up hanging on tight as the bike launched itself off whatever was in its path. Perhaps a more skilled rider would find it easier, but for me the bike is definitely suited to gravel tracks more than the tight stuff.
I loved the chassis and suspension, the E was a great bike....
Just not the engine so much. Mine on enter stand if you blipped the throttle it would walk across the concrete shop floor.
Quote:
Strange, but I now ride an Xchallenge which weighs the same and is equally tall but I find it easier to ride. Perhaps I am a better rider now but it seems to carry its weight lower down and be more controlable. It certainly has a smoother engine and so far has needed far less maintenance.
The Rotax mill is much like my TT600 engine its a tractor and makes smooth power from idle on, where my 640 if you bogged it a little it started to chug and snort and did not like it at all. So it is easier to ride you don't have to
worry about the gear so much because of the torque just twist and go....

Everyone has an opinion and my opinion is I loved the 640e chassis and suspension but the engine....
I had originally bought the bike with an eye on riding the TAT in a year or two, but with it the way it was around here locally I couldn't imagine taking one into the nether regions.....

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #58
DefyInertia
Saratogian

Oddometer: 153
I loved my 2000 640A off road (I think those 50 mm WPs are just amazing) but it was no slouch on the twisty pavement...basically zero restriction fun...even fully loaded and with Knobbies.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #59
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Tire Tester

Would this be a good bike for a heavy rider (320lbs)? I have a 1000 Vstrom and love it on road and like it off road, but I'm looking for something to get a little dirtier in and I LOVEEEEE this bike. Just have to find one now and pry someons cold dead fingers off it...
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #60
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMatt View Post
To put it simply the 640 Adv is the bike that can do it all.

There are plenty still running around as stock as the day they came out of the shop which says a lot for the bike and then you have the ones that get a little worked over to suite there owner. Look at bmwktmbill's bike which looks to be lowered and then mine has been liftered to 300mm at the front and 330mm at the rear a 41 FCR , Staintune , MSC Rally Kit and damper ,custon dash with builtin GPS, Rally Bash Plate and 15.5L rear tank for the long trips.

My bike is like the Jeckel & Hide of bikes. From one ride to the next it could be cuting through the tuffest single track leaving those little bikes in its dust to covering 1500km in a day to over night camping trips to hill climbs to just ducking up the road for some bread and milk.

If you want a bike to do it all just save your self the time and get the almighty KTM 640 Adv.

Taking on the tuff stuff

Leaving all the litte bikes behind. The mighty 640 was the only one to get to the top of Pork Chop Hill out of 6 others

Taking in the sunset with tHEtREVE at Canron Corner after 1500km in under 14hr.

Enjoying the wide open spaces.

This bike will be in the shed for quite a few years yet.

Cheers Matt
Your bash plates are THE BOMB!! (its a good thing) I need one!!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote