Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #61
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Thumb A great description!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
T,
If you need to ask I would consider something else.
It is not a machine to learn on.
It's more like grad school for a doctorate in dual sporting.

If you don't know what you are doing it will cause you some grief especially if you use it hard.

The machine was designed for Paris Dakar racing and KTM won with it.
The non race version sold to the public is designed for off road touring and dual sporting and for travel in the second and third world.

There is no other machine like it, it is special because of it's suspension, fuel carrying capacity, aerodynamic cowling with dual lights, brakes, tire size and general quality.

The owners are all a little weird and eccentric, a cult.

The machine is a classic in it's weight class.

The motorcycle's looks are wickedly beautiful.

It is no longer made and has not been replaced except by the 690 and a pile of money.
bill
Bill is a master wordsmith... This is the second time he has so eloquently described the 640A and I agree wholeheartedly!

Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #62
Dirty3
Just add sauce

Oddometer: 106
I'm in the market for a new bike. Stepping up from a 250 Yamaha. Want to do longer touring trips plus dirt trails etc. Basic 4x4 trails, getting out in the bush.
All i've read here mentions you need to be an experienced rider etc. But for me its about the height. I'm 6'4 so for me height is all important, plus weight ok, is heavier than my old bike but other options (BMW Dakar etc) are heavier.
Can you do road miles comfortably on these or is the vibe thing a real issue. I'd be looking for as late a model as possible.
Any feedback would be helpful.
Dirty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #63
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
I think it would be a good fit, given your size. I am 6'6" tall, and find the ergo's just about perfect (after adding bar risers, a higher Renazco seat, and lowered foot pegs).

You don't have to be an "expert" to ride the 640 (heaven knows, I am far from one!). I think most people complain its hard to ride simply due to the height of the bike.

The motor definitely has plenty of zip, but it does not come on so fast that it catches you unaware. The bike can be ridden either balls out, or in tractor mode.

As far as vibes go...that is tough to tell. I have heard people say that a DRZ400 vibes....I had one, and never ever noticed a single vibe.

Does the 640 vibrate? Yes. Does it bother me? No.

I tend to notice it most while the bike is warming up on the centerstand. My driveway is cement and has a bit of a slope to it. The bike likes to start making its way towards the road before I get on it.

Once under way, I seldom notice it. The most important thing to improve "streetability" is to get a good seat. I have a Renazco Racing seat, and it greatly improves comfort.

Your best bet is to track one down, and some how convince the owner to let you take it for a test ride.

For what its worth, I will never sell mine.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #64
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygod View Post
bill is a master wordsmith... This is the second time he has so eloquently described the 640a and i agree wholeheartedly!

+1
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #65
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,655
tHe best bike ever ! Will take you everywhere

In the last one, thank God the bike was wearing Chris Barnes tank protectors...
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #66
fredN4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I think they are a brilliant all round bike, but many people would disagree.

To me, tar is just for transport sections or when I have to get some where quick, so I value off road performance over pleasant highway manners.

And besides, you can ride anything on tar.

Tar is boring anyway.

I don't see the maintenance as being difficult, but yet again, I value performance over an extra 15 minutes a month on an oil change.

I have done less work on my 640, than I had on my old DR at 65000K, it is off the road now waiting for a new piston, clutch bearing and top end rebuild, just because I think the old girl deserves it, not because she needs it yet.

Mine vibes so much that it will move around if it is on the centre stand and is revved, but I have never noticed the vibrations on the dirt.

I have heard a lot of complaints about the seat on the early ones (mine is an 02), but I thought it was a bit to wide and soft so now it has a 92 enduro seat with 01 SX 125 foam in it so I can move around easier on it, but I value freedom of movement over having a nice comfortable seat to sit on for hours on end.

And I am a firm believer in training your but to shut up and deal with it (I couldn't think of a way to say that any other way with out it sounding gay).

But a lot of people can and do find these characteristics hard to live with, and they are much happier with a much broader focused bike like a DR or KLR, and then personalising it to what they want.

It is a much better way to go for some people.

I have owned an old DR, and could never go back (I was trying to make it a 640 anyway).

Depending on your needs the 640a can be very hard to live with, or an absolute joy to own, or somewhere in between.

So in summery, great bike for dirt, and looking good, but not for everyone.

And you are the only person who can say if you are the right type of person to live with one.

Oh and you don't need to be tall, there a dirt bike for Christ sake, you don't need to put both feet flat on the ground at the same time, and I value long travel suspension over being able to place both my feet flat on the ground when I am on a firm flat surface...

That and I am 5,10 with short legs, so there aren't to many dirt bikes I could do that on anyway.
I enjoyed reading that. Next time I am in Brisbane I will look you up! One of my daughters lives in Ashgrove and her husband is a bike nut. I am looking for something lighter to ride off road. Will check out the 940A.
fredN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #67
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I've owned my 2000 640E for a bit over a year now.. Unbelievable motorcycle!! It is (imho) much better than a 690. Hell its the best, most powerful, take you anywhere you dare to go D/S bike out there! Big question.. Why did KTM stop building the LC4? Good luck finding one..very hard to come by and most guys I know that own one won't part with it! Its probably the only motorcycle that I've ever owned that I will keep forever.
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #68
Dirty3
Just add sauce

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
I think it would be a good fit, given your size. I am 6'6" tall, and find the ergo's just about perfect (after adding bar risers, a higher Renazco seat, and lowered foot pegs).

You don't have to be an "expert" to ride the 640 (heaven knows, I am far from one!). I think most people complain its hard to ride simply due to the height of the bike.

The motor definitely has plenty of zip, but it does not come on so fast that it catches you unaware. The bike can be ridden either balls out, or in tractor mode.

As far as vibes go...that is tough to tell. I have heard people say that a DRZ400 vibes....I had one, and never ever noticed a single vibe.

Does the 640 vibrate? Yes. Does it bother me? No.

I tend to notice it most while the bike is warming up on the centerstand. My driveway is cement and has a bit of a slope to it. The bike likes to start making its way towards the road before I get on it.

Once under way, I seldom notice it. The most important thing to improve "streetability" is to get a good seat. I have a Renazco Racing seat, and it greatly improves comfort.

Your best bet is to track one down, and some how convince the owner to let you take it for a test ride.

For what its worth, I will never sell mine.
Cheers Yooper Bob. Thanks for the advice.
Dirty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #69
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBDRdude View Post
I've owned my 2000 640E for a bit over a year now.. Unbelievable motorcycle!! It is (imho) much better than a 690.
You're the first person I've heard say the 640 is better than the 690!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBDRdude View Post
Why did KTM stop building the LC4?
They didn't (haven't). The 690 is the next-gen LC4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #70
ericGSsti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I had read and was worried about the vibrations with the 640 adv. I had a chance to buy one two weeks ago. Their a rare bike here in Ireland. I've only ever seen 3 in total. One on a uk plate and the other 2 where imported buy my mate from the UK and registered here in Ireland.

I had an Africa Twin RD07a but wanted something lighter for playing on. When my mate offered me one of his 640's I put the twin up for sale. It sold that night and was collected 2 days later.

I bought the 640 and although it's still early days I am enjoying the 640. It has vibration in comparison to the @ but nothing i cann't live with. I ride it to work every day a distance over 50 miles and although it doesn't have the speed of the twin it is well able to sit at the speed limit and still have power at hand to battle the strong winds we're been hit with here at the minute. The sound of the high revs on motor ways will take a bit of getting used to though. Sitting now just over 6200rpm at 120kph I thought it would rev the head off but am assured its perfectly fine and capable of sitting at those revs.

I am 6ft 3" and find it fits perfectly.

I haven't yet taken it off road but this Saturday I'll be on some greenlanes and fire tracks so really looking forward to it.

I don't think I'll regret buying it. A smile on my face every time I ride it.

The only down side is it has drawn some unwanted attention in that I had a visit from two scum bags yesterday at 1:30 in the afternoon. I had just left the house when they showed up, parked their car and jumped the wall to where I keep the bike. The lad that lives at the back of me saw them and ran the little fuckers back over the wall.

Someone has tried for every bike I've owned through the years so I don't expect this to be any different but less then 2 weeks and their around already. Just a point to note when buying one.

Mine is an MY07 640 adventure R on a 08 plate with 11500km now on the clock.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -

ericGSsti screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 01:08 AM
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #71
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty3 View Post
Can you do road miles comfortably on these or is the vibe thing a real issue.
I've done 4 SaddleSore 1000-type rides on mine. I think my most intense road trip was over 3400km in 4 days. Mostly B/C (D?) roads not motorways. I've done many 1000km days without a concern.

However... the vibes vary with the bikes, and so do people's tolerance for them. Best you test ride the one you want. I've test-ridden an MXC400 that blurred my vision and chattered my teeth at 110km/h (smoothed out at 130km/h). Some people report LC4s like that, mine certainly is nothing like that. Yet mine vibrates way more than a friend's low-flow bike did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #72
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
You're the first person I've heard say the 640 is better than the 690!!

They didn't (haven't). The 690 is the next-gen LC4.
I ride with guys that have 690s and 640s. A lot of ppl preferred the older LC4. The 640 leans a bit more toward the dirt, the 690 a bit more towards the pavement. The 690 is the next generation, but don't confuse it with the LC4 engine. The 690 is a different 'beast' altogether!
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #73
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 142
Sold my 690 SM last year and missed it.

RIght up until I purchased a 640 ADV less than a week ago. The 640 has more "soul". You know, if you're into that kind thing :)
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #74
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosobrad View Post
Sold my 690 SM last year and missed it.

RIght up until I purchased a 640 ADV less than a week ago. The 640 has more "soul". You know, if you're into that kind thing :)
And mechanical spirits.

mechanical spirits
pl n
cheerful and exuberant boisterousness
[originally, referring to a vital force believed to be dispatched throughout the body by the 'motorcycle'.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #75
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericGSsti View Post
I had read and was worried about the vibrations with the 640 adv. I had a chance to buy one two weeks ago. Their a rare bike here in Ireland. I've only ever seen 3 in total. One on a uk plate and the other 2 where imported buy my mate from the UK and registered here in Ireland.

I had an Africa Twin RD07a but wanted something lighter for playing on. When my mate offered me one of his 640's I put the twin up for sale. It sold that night and was collected 2 days later.

I bought the 640 and although it's still early days I am enjoying the 640. It has vibration in comparison to the @ but nothing i cann't live with. I ride it to work every day a distance over 50 miles and although it doesn't have the speed of the twin it is well able to sit at the speed limit and still have power at hand to battle the strong winds we're been hit with here at the minute. The sound of the high revs on motor ways will take a bit of getting used to though. Sitting now just over 6200rpm at 120kph I thought it would rev the head off but am assured its perfectly fine and capable of sitting at those revs.

I am 6ft 3" and find it fits perfectly.

I haven't yet taken it off road but this Saturday I'll be on some greenlanes and fire tracks so really looking forward to it.

I don't think I'll regret buying it. A smile on my face every time I ride it.

The only down side is it has drawn some unwanted attention in that I had a visit from two scum bags yesterday at 1:30 in the afternoon. I had just left the house when they showed up, parked their car and jumped the wall to where I keep the bike. The lad that lives at the back of me saw them and ran the little fuckers back over the wall.

Someone has tried for every bike I've owned through the years so I don't expect this to be any different but less then 2 weeks and their around already. Just a point to note when buying one.

Mine is an MY07 640 adventure R on a 08 plate with 11500km now on the clock.
What final drive are you running on it? i have the enduro with 16-42 and it has a sweet spot around 60ish, at this speed there is next to no vibration, going to be putting a 17-42 combo on just to make the sweet spot nearer the 70 mark for longer trips. If you get a chance to come over the water drop me a line.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote