Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #211
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
i see this sight is still going.Alot to talk about,I see.That great tire that came with my wheel kit finnally fried this summer on way to the MOA Nationals barely had 7k on that tire..I'v got almost 40k on my rig and the clutch feels good.I do bleed it every winter and the steel braided line makes a different(was on there when I bought it..) Keep it guys always a learning experince...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #212
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43 View Post
I'm gonna miss these lessons. I have seriously considered going to a ceramic clutch and now feel a bit more educated. Thank you, sir!
Matt--Welcome back to North America! It never occured to me before but now I gotta ask--does BigBoi have an OEM clutch? If it does, then, DANG! Were there times during your trip when you were cursing at the organic clutch, or was it dependable? I kinda remember you having trouble getting to a tree house?

I've noticed that the Winterbiker people use sintered clutches in their world-traveler rigs. Would you agree that for serious travel it makes sense to switch out the OEM clutch, or does it work just fine (even though of course we all know it will wear out faster than on a solo bike) and should only be upgraded once the original clutch is done?

BTW, great pic--

Anybody who hasn't read Matt's ride report, set aside 2 or 3 days then click here.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #213
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,280
a suggestion

Drone
Originally you asked if issues ever end with sidecar rigs, probably not and there are so many of them.Perhaps if your bikes not apart yet you should consider changing the final drive ratio and see how that goes before spending the money to change clutches. Final drives are allot easier cost less and play a major role. When I decided to attache a chair to my GSadv I added a 32/11 (11** RT ) I had laying around these are cheap and plentiful on ebay. 65 mph is 4K rpm in 6th on the Adv trans. Beemer gear sets are 11/33, 11/34, 11/37 I've also played with an 11/34 in my hot rod gs the trade off is they spin the tire allot easier in slippery stuff.
I live in MN I ride Mississippi river valley possibly the NE US, I'm not taking an 8-9 hundred pound behemoth places it doesn't the stock clutch will last along time if your not slipping it, to get out of situations.DB
Old 08-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #214
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Well certainly changing your crown gears will reduce the wear and tear on your clutch and give your rig more low end grunt. But remember -- I don't actually have anything wrong with my clutch. I'm replacing mine proactively because my slave cylinder went south. I'm saving about $300 in labor costs by getting them both done at the same time. Now I simply won't have to worry about it anymore.

I have the 31/11 crown gears and I find that my outfit has enough power and enough suspension to run most backcountry roads around here in 2nd or 3rd even when loaded up for camping. When the road turns nasty I can usually power through in 1st at 2500 or 3000 rpm without using the clutch. Pretty seldom when I actually have to rev the motor and slip the clutch at the same time to finesse my way through a steep boulder field or deep ruts or something like that. And to tell you the truth, I hit 85 (90 indicated) more often than is probably wise. So, for me, the 31/11 seems to be working OK. But for the guys who use their rigs more aggressively off-pavement changing out the crown gears will protect the clutch.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #215
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,921
MAN that is a SWEET rig!!!! Thanks for sharing your info!!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #216
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,092
DRONE,

Remember you were asking about how to prevent your Happy Trails right side pannier from hitting your car?
I believe you put a limiting strap on the inside to remedy this. (Claude's idea)
I have come up with a different solution.

I called Jesse Luggage and spoke with Al.
He is making me a set of Safari bags with hinges on the front for me...at no additional charge.
I will post a few pics when they show up.
Should be about a week or so.
The one down side is that there will only be one handle to lift the bags off, but I don't see that as too much of a hassle.

Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #217
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Thats what the original own did to my Happy trails.He moved the hinge to the front on the right sude bag only. It works great...Lifts up doesn't hit the tub...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #218
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Yeah I did do the limiting strap idea and that's working well for me especially because I use that pannier for the stuff that I only need to get at the end of the day. Ya know, things like the whiskey bottle and the dog food.

The front hinge would require some modification to the lids to grind off the existing hinge flanges but should work just fine.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #219
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
To continue the pannier lid hijack: Has anyone done a top lid hinge on a Micatech?
Elmer was going to do it, but didn't have time. I need to do it and would like to show my local machine shop guy an example when I get home.
TIA
Old 09-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #220
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
To continue the pannier lid hijack: Has anyone done a top lid hinge on a Micatech?
Elmer was going to do it, but didn't have time. I need to do it and would like to show my local machine shop guy an example when I get home.
TIA
I did contact the guy/gal at Micatech to see whether they could do a top lid mod with hinge facing forward; kinda expensive I was told...as I would be the first one to have such a modification done...low volume...the whole side door will have to be welded shut, etc...! although they could do it. Thought of doing it myself...using a lot of fiberglass trimming, rivetting and epoxying the side door shut, etc...but since my aluminum welding is not up to par, ditched the idea and lived with it.

I think you'd be better off in designing of how you want it to perform: open; lift; hinge; lid; sidedoor...lock... water resistant grooves, etc then take it to you local aluminum fabricator!

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #221
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
TIA
Your cases hinge to the side like this one?--

To retrofit this to a top hinge would be pretty difficult. Seems like it might be easier (and cheaper!) to sell those cases and buy a set of top-loaders.

The other option would be to post up a trade in the Flea Market--your Micatech's for somebody else's Zegas. It would be easy to put a front hinge on a Zega or a Pak-Meister.

Also, there is an inmate in Portland, Stefan Dietz, who makes custom panniers. Since he's so close to you it might be worth the effort to see what he thinks about the project. Here's a link to his vendor thread.

Anybody else know who makes a top-loader with a front hinge?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #222
triumphsidehack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Top loader's / frt hinge

Traxx ...from Twisted Throttle , in the process of mounting a set 38 's on the Rocket 3 this weekend ... pic's to follow soon.
triumphsidehack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #223
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
How far east did you come to pick up Yuengling?
Or was it "Rally Diet" time?

Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #224
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphsidehack View Post
Traxx ...from Twisted Throttle , in the process of mounting a set 38 's on the Rocket 3 this weekend ... pic's to follow soon.
Yes the Traxx cases have the right kind of hinge--

But even if painted to match I think they'd look wrong on Ingrid. Too utilitarian--

DRONE screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 10:11 PM
Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #225
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Drone:

Thanks for the link to Stefan. Not sure what I will do - I have Metals Mules on my 2011 GS and like them a lot, but they get pricey because of the new exhaust. I like not having the cut-out on the left side bag. Claude makes side cases too.

I think there is a way to lower the stock exhaust on the GS. That may give me more options.

The TRAX look like they mount really high. Wunderlich sells a Hepco-Becker set with front[?] hinges and a exhaust lowering kit.

Whatever, I'm going to have to keep the paint scheme similar to what's on the Micatechs now. :-)