Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #31
jlsworks
Acid Stained

Oddometer: 784
WOW!! Thanks for sharing, just the pictures I was looking for.
James
jlsworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #32
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,375
In Post #25, I said--
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
The problem with the 1150 is that there's no good place to attach a strut forward of the cylinder head. It can be done, but it would involve so many extenders and angles and joints that I'm not sure how much good it would do.
In reply, twintwin posted up this pic of, I think, an 1100? --

I can see how this is a solution, though it's not what I would call an "elegant" solution. Inside the circle there you see three different brackets supporting a straight strut that's attached to a curved strut that's attached to the tub frame. That's a lot of joints.

I'd like to emphasize that my mounting system is working fine. I subscribe to the old "if it ain't broke" adage so I have no plans to make any changes here. I'm happy with it just the way it is! If any cracks appear, then I'll cross that bridge.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #33
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsworks View Post
WOW!! Thanks for sharing, just the pictures I was looking for.
James
Thanks, James!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #34
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,910
Drone, just found this thread.

Wow! Absolutely stunning outfit. Congrats.

Dave
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #35
drbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
You have a great looking outfit, congrats...

Double congrats on sourcing some very interesting, great looking farkles!
drbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #36
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbike View Post
You have a great looking outfit, congrats...

Double congrats on sourcing some very interesting, great looking farkles!
Ah, sourcing . . .

With internet search engines and online stores we have wonderful opportunities to farkle our bikes unlike even 10 years ago! From Germany I have brake discs, luggage, and horns; from England, China, Germany and Japan I have lighting components; tires from the Netherlands and Germany; suspension from Sweden; two of the crossbar pads came from Bulgaria of all places; graphics from England; and of course lots of parts new and used from all over the U.S. and some from Canada.

Not to mention the advent of forums like this one that are crammed full of great info . . .

For an old guy like me, it's really wonderful. I remember when you had to spend days and weeks pawing through those tiny little ads in the back pages of motorcycle magazines, then writing letters to suppliers (yes, twenty-somethings, letters on paper that you gave to the mailman) to see if they had what you wanted. For me, this is like the Golden Age of Farkling.

I mean, I just ordered a set of custom-made top-loading red cordura liners for my Happy-Trail panniers with "WUMPA" embroidered in white letters from some gal in Georgia (click here) for $109 shipped! That's crazy! I love it!

Thanks, drbike, for the reminder. And for the compliments.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:22 AM   #37
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Ah, sourcing . . .

With internet search engines and online stores we have wonderful opportunities to farkle our bikes unlike even 10 years ago! From Germany I have brake discs, luggage, and horns; from England, China, Germany and Japan I have lighting components; tires from the Netherlands and Germany; suspension from Sweden; two of the crossbar pads came from Bulgaria of all places; graphics from England; and of course lots of parts new and used from all over the U.S. and some from Canada.

Not to mention the advent of forums like this one that are crammed full of great info . . .

For an old guy like me, it's really wonderful. I remember when you had to spend days and weeks pawing through those tiny little ads in the back pages of motorcycle magazines, then writing letters to suppliers (yes, twenty-somethings, letters on paper that you gave to the mailman) to see if they had what you wanted. For me, this is like the Golden Age of Farkling.

I mean, I just ordered a set of custom-made top-loading red cordura liners for my Happy-Trail panniers with "WUMPA" embroidered in white letters from some gal in Georgia (click here) for $109 shipped! That's crazy! I love it!

Thanks, drbike, for the reminder. And for the compliments.
Hey Drone. Very Nice looking outfit. Ride it hard.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #38
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Hey Drone. Very Nice looking outfit. Ride it hard.
Thank you Claude! Some of the online pics here in Hacks showing CSM builds definitely influenced my decisions, especially the Nicklin build.

DRONE screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 08:31 AM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #39
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Added two more mods over the weekend. Now for you novice farklers--don't try this at home--these mods are definitely high tech and should be attempted only by advanced professionals!!!

First, I made a plywood floor for the tub to be used when DOG is my co-pilot. This required a saw, a measuring tape, a pencil, a drill, some glue and 4 screws. Optional equipment--a sander.

You can also see in this pic the passenger grab bar that I installed. Just something for the monkee to hang onto.

The round rugs I'm using there are 100% wool, pretty thick and cushy, and only cost $10 each at IKEA. I might leave them round, or I might one of these days cut them to size and staple them down. Haven't decided yet.

A platform like this let's DOG sit or stand about 3" lower down than on the seat cushion, and also let's him curl up and lie down when he wants to. When camping, I can put the tonneau cover on, leave the "door" unsnapped, and he can use the tub as his crate.

The 2nd farkle is a new garage door opener. This one required some Velcro and a wire tie. And, of course, a garage door clicker.

This pic also shows the 2-way momentary switch for the electric tilt mounted inside the handguard. I used a steel bracket I found in my garage and some 3M double-sided foam tape. The switch and the waterproof cover I got on eBay. The location is very handy for the index finger. I don't constantly change the tilt, but like for instance this weekend I did a little 150-mile round trip to Woodinville to buy some wine, and I probably adjusted the tilt 6 or 7 times. The amount of tilt I like on the superslab (I-5) is definitely not what I want on something like the high-crowned Carnation Farm Road.

You can also see in this pic a small rocker switch installed above the light switch on the left grip. That's the switch that turns the off-road LED's on and off.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #40
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Its a very niuce rig.But I'm wondering why there is no front mount.After last summers fun.I'm now quite happy with my rig I've broke just about evrything Jay built.The steerimg mod works great,I bought a heel-toe shifter from them,works good.But I am putting on a VW steering dampner on later this summer.I have a small low speed wobble on my rig.Stroker is building me a bracket to mount the dampner.Drone you did a hell of a job rebuilding your rig my congrates.May the hacking gods smile on you good luck this summer and ride the hell out of it,thats what I'm doing right now....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 AM   #41
batphluke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
WOW,that makes mine look like I built it in a shed for under $1,000...

AMAZING RIG !!.Hope to see it in Chelan !!.
Mine is being built in a shed for under a $1000... but that's beside the point! Just want to say you have a beautiful outfit there, looks great overall and superb attention to detail too, thanks for sharing it here, I needed some more inspiration, now enjoy riding it.

Mal
93 Triumph Trident 900
83 Kawasaki Z550
78 Honda C70
Velorex 562 (attached to Mrs. B's 85 Honda XBR500)
batphluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #42
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Luggage

Got some pics of my luggage to share.

First is my Bags-Connection "GS" tankbag. It mounts to the gas cap ring--it doesn't touch or rub on the tank anywhere, and has a rigid base. There's a GPS mount for my Zumo, and a waterproof port if you're one of those guys who want power inside the bag for accessories. When you need gas, there is a pull tab at the front of the bag that releases the locking mechanism. To mount it, just place it onto the locking ring (which is permanently mounted to the gas cap) and press down until the lock clicks. This is a very nice, very large, very expensive ($285) tankbag. Only complaint is that on full-lock left turns the bag activates the left turn signal but I can live with that.

Edit--this tank bag ended up being just too big. Replaced it a year later with a Bags Connection "City" tankbag. Same bag, just smaller.

Next is this Cortech tailbag mounted to the trunk lid. This is a light duty bag but a handy place to put rain gear, lunch, dog food, or whatever. It comes with a stretchy waterproof cover for rainy days but even with the cover on it's not waterproof. I got it for $40 in the Flea Market and that's about all it's worth. Mounts with built-in bungie hooks.

Edit--this Cortech bad ended up being pretty worthless. Now if I got extra stuff, I pack it into a Helen2Wheels waterproof sack and bungie it to the rack. Here's a pic of my "little" H2W bag--

And my "big" H2W bag--

The Givi rack I installed on the trunk lid is working really well. Note also how nicely my tent fits on the pannier lid with a small cooler on the tail rack.

Next, I just got these really cool pannier liners from BagsForBikes.com. Only $109 shipped! They were custom-made for me and my panniers so the fit is perfect. Heavy-duty waterproof nylon cordura, top-loading, two outside pockets on each bag (one zippered on top, and a large velcroed pocket on the side), carry handles, and even embroidered! Wow!

Close-up of the large side pocket and the zipped top pocket--

I've taken the outfit on some shakedown rides, but the first big trip starts next Thursday--that will be a 500-mile 4-day camping trip to Lake Chelan for the Chelan Sidecar Rally. Haven't decided yet if I'm taking the dog or the wife in the sidecar.

DRONE screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 12:08 PM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #43
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

In the 2nd pic of the above post, you can see some marks on the fender. The sidecar originally had a DMC tail light mounted there--three bolt holes and a large center hole for the wiring. I trash-canned that light because I wasn't keen on having electrical wires on the underside of my fender just waiting to be destroyed by the tire, mud, rocks or whatever. I also didn't like being able to see wires spanning the gap between the car and the fender. So that's why I bought a used 1150 tailight and mounted it to the back of the car.

I filled the three bolt holes with some epoxy, and stuck a plastic body panel plug into the 1/4" center hole. I thought about putting a sticker or something there, and that's still something I might do.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #44
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,549
So I will get to see WUMPA in person next weekend right ????.
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #45
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Got some pics of my luggage to share.

First is my Bags-Connection tankbag. It mounts to the gas cap ring--it doesn't touch or rub on the tank anywhere, and has a rigid base. There's a GPS mount for my Zumo, and a waterproof port if you're one of those guys who want power inside the bag for accessories. When you need gas, there is a pull tab at the front of the bag that releases the locking mechanism. To mount it, just place it onto the locking ring (which is permanently mounted to the gas cap) and press down until the lock clicks. This is a very nice, very large, very expensive ($285) tankbag. Only complaint is that on full-lock left turns the bag activates the left turn signal but I can live with that.

great bags
i've had a marsee on almost every bike i've owned
ingenious method of attachment
glad you like yours, as well
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote