ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Dcc46 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Moving to Eastern Tennessee

I recently retired and I am looking to relocate to eastern Tennessee from upstate NY. A little background ,I am 43yo married with 2 high school age kids. I am looking for a town of 3-10k people, low/ no crime and a good school system. I am going to ride down in the next month or so and look around some. I plan to rent for a little bit before i buy so i can make sure i like it before I am locked in. Anyway I'm looking for some advice on areas to check out from those who would know best.

Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 04-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 15,702
I live near Crossville, Tn there is another inmate within a mile of my house. The area has great riding, and you can be into NC or N GA within a hour or so for even better riding. The no state income tax is fantastic, vehicle tags are dirt cheap, the local sales tax is a little high but when you add everything together your dollar goes a lot further. Housing is CHEAP compared to other parts of the country. If you enjoy golf this area is the golf capital of TN, we have a ton of great courses and the greens fees are not expensive. If you are interested in this part of the state PM me your plans and I can show you around.

John
Old 04-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
Dcc46 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Hawk , I'll add Crossville to my list of places to check out when i get down there.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc46 View Post
I recently retired and I am looking to relocate to eastern Tennessee from upstate NY. A little background ,I am 43yo married with 2 high school age kids. I am looking for a town of 3-10k people, low/ no crime and a good school system. I am going to ride down in the next month or so and look around some. I plan to rent for a little bit before i buy so i can make sure i like it before I am locked in. Anyway I'm looking for some advice on areas to check out from those who would know best.

Thanks in advance
Dave

If you're trying for good schools they aren't here (Oak Ridge is supposed to be some of the best in the state).
I lived in NY and the cost of living is so much lower you will not regret it.

PS I'm jealous 43 and retiring
Old 04-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,730
It's a little bigger, but Farragut is nice. Oak Ridge is nice too, and my company is finishing up some nice new apartments right on the river.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Dcc46 OP
Studly Adventurer

Adding Oak Ridge and Farragut to my places to check out.
Thanks