User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #1696
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,634
Thanks Dude!
I cant imagine being an inspiration to anyone, but Im happy your travelling & having a good time.
The plan is to be back at the motocamp by friday, sept 23rd, as were having a travellers meeting that weekend. So if you (or anyone else) wants to come hang out, drink beers & swap lies, your more than welcome.

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by neighbor's goat View Post
Doug, you are an inspiration for a lot of us.

Three years ago I was barely able to keep the bike straight and now I went to France and back on it, having you as a spiritual mentor. I dedicate the entire 6300 km made in only 2 weeks (on a thumper) to you !

Looking forward to meeting you in your moto camp in Idilevo, I am planning a trip there when you will be around, as I miss those nice places and Polina's hospitality.

Cheers,

neighbor's goat

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #1697
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

I got to Yurga, which is a small town between Tomsk & Kemerovo, and found the bike party.
I couldn’t believe how many people here remember me. Some the Indian, some the chopper, some both. And they have never seen a harley enduro before. I almost was famous!
As usual, its good to see my old friends from before, and make many new ones. The bike scene in Siberia doesn’t seem to change much, the parties are fun, the people are nice, I had a great time as usual!

But I know…. You want pics……

Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #1698
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Old 08-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #1699
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

They had one of the best bands Id ever seen in Russia. 3 chicks, one on cello, 2 on fiddles, and they ROCKED
(ok, they were hot also. Especially the cello chick!)

On the road the next morning, I stopped to help this guy with an Ural. Motor was stuck, & one carb wasn’t getting any gas, so I think it got a bit hot. These 3 guys from Poland stopped, they were on the way home from Mongolia. A guy in a small van also stopped, & they decided to pull the ural with a piece of rope the 100km to the guys house. I didn’t want to see the results of this great idea, so I took off.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #1700
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Later, some guys invited me to a cookout by a lake. The small van & ural rider showed up, minus ural. Im not really sure what happened, but the best he could tell me was it caught fire & burned. How? I dunno.
So the cookout was a celebration for the day after a wedding. They insisted I eat, & everyone wanted to talk to me. A couple older guys were drunk tho, and one was sort of an ass, so after eating, I said thanks, but I had to get to my friends in Kemerovo.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #1701
nomadicbear
Vagabond

Oddometer: 53
Laugh

THANKS! again for the trip and Photos. Love the stretched URAL ride eat drink could it get any better.

Nomadicbear (James)

Retired Free to Ride

nomadicbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #1702
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

I got to Dominik’s, it was great to see him, as we hadn’t met up since 09 in Belgium.
I met Dom in 06, when I was on my Indian. He was riding a new ural across Russia, and we traveled together for 3 weeks off n on, & had a great time. On that trip, he met Nadya, who he later married. They lived in Belgium for awhile, but this summer moved back to her hometown. Im wondering how he is going to like the winters here?
As Tom’s vacation was pushed back a week, I figured I’d spend a few days here resting and servicing the bike before another bike party, then the long haul east.

My friend Andrei has a bike shop in Kemerovo, and let me do a service on the bike here, I checked the fork bearings, did some adjusting here & there, and gave it a much needed bath

I had another shop repair my mirror, as the weld broke. (the uber kickstand is still doing fine)
They did a nice job, but then they ground the weld down to make it look good, and of course weakened the weld. It lasted a few days, then broke again.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #1703
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Dom & Nadya took me to a local blacksmith, who makes knives. We had met in 09. He has a really cool shop, and its full of neat stuff. I am having me make me a knife, with Damascus steel. He says it will be done when I come back thru, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

This is a mammoth tooth, dug up by some miners

I headed on to Krasnoryask after a few days of sitting around. It was a welcome break!
The bike started acting funny tho, I’d be riding along, and it would lose power, and sometimes just act like I turned off the switch, but always started back up. I hate intermittent problems, hard to diagnose. But, then it seemed to get better, so I quit worrying about it, for now.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #1704
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

I passed thru Marinsk, and there was a memorial. I think it was for the Gulag victims, but wasn’t sure. Looked to be new, and I didn’t remember seeing it before.

On the way, I met these guys, Ilya?(I think) on the right. He sees me, stops, & asks if Im going to Magadan? I was a bit surprised, but then he tells me he’d been reading my story on ADV.
Pretty cool I thought! He & his friend are heading to Mongolia soon on their bikes. I hope that trip went well!

Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #1705
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
As you can see the guy on the left in the Kung Foo stance is ready for anything that Doug may do.....He's obviously the hired muscle and he's not having it!
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #1706
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
Dom & Nadya took me to a local blacksmith, who makes knives. We had met in 09. He has a really cool shop, and its full of neat stuff. I am having me make me a knife, with Damascus steel. He says it will be done when I come back thru, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

[FONT=Arial]

Great, great RR. This photo is amazing !!! You really have to take a few minutes and look at all the detail from his stance his boots the hammer on the anvil ...

Thanks Doug for taking the time and posting.

Mike
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #1707
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
That knife will be a great souvenir. I have a damascus blade knife... they are works of art... but yours has a story with it.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #1708
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Congrats!

Not that ANY of us doubted you. Damn fine RR too BTW. I'm in for the ride back too, let's roll! Lovin' the whole damned thing, I really can't just say good pix,story telling, etc. Just...

AWESOME!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #1709
H2oskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Laugh Doug- check the bank angle sensor,

Doug- your intermittent cut out may be caused by the Bank Angle Sensor. If it is loose it can cause all
kinds of problems. Is is associated with the turn single sensor and is designed to turn off the engine when
it falls over. Just a thought and fairly simple solution to fix. Lots of info if you google it.
Thank you for the great ride report, you have knack for low key humor and I love it. Have a safe
trip home.
Dave
H2oskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #1710
JamesOn2Wheels
Banned

Oddometer: 422
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
They had one of the best bands Id ever seen in Russia. 3 chicks, one on cello, 2 on fiddles, and they ROCKED
(ok, they were hot also. Especially the cello chick!)

On the road the next morning, I stopped to help this guy with an Ural. Motor was stuck, & one carb wasn’t getting any gas, so I think it got a bit hot. These 3 guys from Poland stopped, they were on the way home from Mongolia. A guy in a small van also stopped, & they decided to pull the ural with a piece of rope the 100km to the guys house. I didn’t want to see the results of this great idea, so I took off.

Man I dig the Cello chick......................

Great fotos
JamesOn2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote