Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #1846
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 266
Brotherly love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
If only I were also into "brotherly love"...
Says the man in SE PA.

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #1847
blackcaps
Do it alone

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
I got to Krasnoryask & found the bike party ok. This one is put on by some friends of mine in the Kentavri (centaurs) MC...
What was the name of the bike party? Where was it held exactly? (coord.)

Is there a website?
Travelled to Ural mountains in 2007. Travelled to Siberia in 2008. Travelled to Baikal and Mongolia in 2009. Travelled to Altai and Mongolia in 2010. Travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2011. Travelled to Russia and Siberia in 2012. Travelled to Siberia, 'Dalnie Vostok' and Sachalin in 2013.
blackcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #1848
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,622
I got to Chita, & met up with Jim, who I had seen on my last 2 trips thru here. I got a room at the Panama City hotel, this place is awesome. Friendly gals at the desk, & you’d think you were in a US hotel, with the furnishings, the size, etc. And the bungalows are cheap, and have wifi!
For the last couple days, the bike had a weird sound coming from the primary, sort of like a bolt had backed out, & something was rubbing on it. I changed the tranny oil the ‘russian way’ along the road, but saw nothing bad coming out, so I figured I’d have to pull it apart & look. Jim took me to a shop that had a workspace for me, & I took the cover off, but saw nothing.
So, I needed to take the clutch basket/alternator out & look behind it. But they don’t have an impact gun! Now this is a pretty big shop, so I couldn’t understand this, but, its Russia.
The front nut I got off ok with a long bar, but the clutch nut wasn’t so easy. You have to hold the basket, and break loose the nut. The helpful guy there offered to wedge an iron bar in the hub, or to grab it with big pliers, but the fingers are aluminum (that’s aluminium to you brits) and of course, they will break. So I thought about it for a bit, then grabbed one of the straps holding my tent on. Worked like a champ!

And…I found nothing wrong! So I said screw it, & put it back together. It still makes the noise sometimes, but not as bad as it was. I guess it got broke in, rubbed down, or wore out.

The workshop

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #1849
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

This poster was of a guy that was killed a year earlier east of Chita. Dmitry from Nishny had told me about him, & that there was a memorial to visit, so I hoped I could find it.

As I headed east from Chita, the bike is making all kinds of racket. I had cleaned the chain, the primary noise, & the rear tire is worn pretty bad. I wouldn’t have bet a dollar on it making it 100 miles. But it did, and the noises either went away, or I just got used to them J

I stopped for gas & met these guys, they had this old ZAZ jeep thing from the 60’s, and a broken Kawasaki. They were fixin to pull the bike home with some rope. They invited me to stay with them, but I really needed to cover some miles

This new road is AMAZING! I didn’t know the Russians could build a road like this. The bed was raised gravel, sometimes 20-40 feet high. Smooth pavement, rails, lines painted straight! WOW!

In 06, 2300km was dirt, in 09, 800km, and now, only about 20km left to finish.
The old federal road went thru all the towns, but this bypasses them, so no stops, no traffic, nothing. Of course its pretty boring after a while, imagine riding Alabama to California, about 2000 miles, and nothing but hills & trees, day after day.

www.motosapiens.org

Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #1850
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Along the road I met this guy (I THINK his name is Martin, but I cant find the card he gave me, and as it was a month ago, I sort of forget! Sorry!)
He was heading west. We stopped & talked, & as it was getting late, he said there was a sign for a guesthouse in the previous town, so we went to find it.

Of course just because there is a sign, doesn’t mean it will be easy to find. So we go to the town, and at the sign, is a café. Of course they have no idea where it is. This is normal here, just keep asking. Finally, we find someone that may have heard their brothers cousin mention it over vodka 3 months ago, but not sure…..
Go back to the first entrance to town, and down it a km or so.
We do that, & theres another sign! On the right track now!
Go down that road, and nothing, just houses. Ask people. Get funny looks. Finally were told we passed it, we go back (now this ‘road’ is dirt, with big holes. Full of water)
We get almost back to the turn, & a guy waves us over. Heres the hotel! Behind this unmarked board fence! Of course!
I asked the guy why he didn’t put a sign on the fence, & just got a dumb look.
But its nice & clean, and he drove us to the café for dinner.
The next morning, we forded the lake out front, had breakfast, then split up. I hope he’s doing good, and we meet up again. He was ok, for an Australian J

www.motosapiens.org

Old 09-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #1851
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Nice gas station

Theres this HUGE pile of gravel next to the road. I dunno what the screwup here was, but to cover it up, they put a cross on it, & a sign that says ‘leave a stone for jesus’ or something similar.

That way no one will complain about the $20,000 pile of rock that goes nowhere

My second notable roadkill of the trip, its either a BIG assed quail, or a small pheasant. It exploded on my knee in a pile of feathers that were all over the road.

www.motosapiens.org

Old 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #1852
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Just past Janna, I saw this memorial on the left, it is the one for Alexei, ‘Skutts’ who was riding from Nishny Novogorod to Vladivostok, & was on his way back, and was killed here a year earlier.
This is the story that I was able to piece together, but as my Russian isn’t so good, it may not be 100% correct.

He had trouble with his headlight, & stopped here, as there was a café at the time, & also a tire repair shop (remnants in the background) Im not sure if he decided to camp here or not. Anyhow, the café had a girl working there, and her brother & her boyfriend were also there. Alexei was sitting outside on a bench, talking to the girl, & one of the guys (I think her brother) shot him in the back & killed him. Then the 2 guys tried to hide the crime by making a big fire with tires & burning the body. They dumped the bike out in the woods.
Well, the local bikers found out he was missing, and scoured the region asking people who may have seen him. Somehow they narrowed it to this place (maybe the girl talked?) and 10 days later, they were here with the police. Stas, who I would meet later this nite was here, & filmed it, as they sifted thru the still smoking fire, and pulled out bones & other burned body parts. He showed me the video, it was gruesome. The local bikers found the 2 guys, & from what I’m told, beat them half to death then gave them to the police. They are both in prison now.
A sad story, Alexei left behind a family back home, he was just on a summer bike trip.
The monument reads
God decides how long is your life, but you decide how wide it is
RIP Alexei

Oh, and the bikers then burned the café, which is why the ruins are in the background.
2 thumbs up for the local bikers!

www.motosapiens.org

Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #1853
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

That evening, I got to Skovorodino, the junction where I turn north. I met Stas, & he invited me to stay at his house. Skovo is a nice town for the area, although you have to go 5 miles down a bad dirt road to get to it. Theres a big oil depot here, which has put money into the town. Stas met me on a Kawasaki police bike from the US, I didn’t expect to see one of those here! As I see a lot here tho, the back tire was completely bald. Its hard to get parts, when theres not a bike shop for 1000 miles. He also has an old Yamaha triple. The next morning, he took me to see some stuff in town before I hit the road.

His garage

This monument is for Japanese soldiers who died here, its small, in a field, and doesn’t even have a trail leading to it.

www.motosapiens.org

Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #1854
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

The junction is a huge cloverleaf. Its so out of place here its funny. Of course the roads north & south turn to dirt about a half mile later

www.motosapiens.org

Old 09-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #1855
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

The road north to Tynda turned to shit right away. Loose gravel, holes, rocks, sand, mud, construction. I think the plan is to pave it to yakutsk, someday. It pretty much beat the shit out of me. Again, Im also reminded that I built the bike too tall, and its topheavy. But, I didn’t drop it!

Big graveyard in the woods along the road

www.motosapiens.org

Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #1856
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

I met this guy from Poland, he had ripped the side of his tire out, & made a temporary fix with a piece of rolled up mudflap from a truck. You cant really go very fast here, so it held up til he could get a tire. His friend had crashed & left his bike in Yakutsk, as his arm was broken

I got to Tynda, & was met at the town border by Max. He manages a Kamaz shop here, & said he had always wanted to ride to Magadan, could he come along with me?
Sure, why not?
I was planning to spend the nite here anyhow, so we’d head out in the morning.
Max & his DRZ400

This would make a badassed camper

Edgar from Moscow made it thru the BAM road, and crated his bike to ship it back by train.

www.motosapiens.org

Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #1857
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Edgar, Max, & a couple other local guys

I’d never seen a bootwasher toilet on a pedestal before. Looks difficult to master

Thermometers here go as far down as they do up. BRRRRRRRR

The BAM monument

www.motosapiens.org

Old 09-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #1858
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Along the road I met this guy (I THINK his name is Martin, but I cant find the card he gave me, and as it was a month ago, I sort of forget! Sorry!)
He was heading west. We stopped & talked, & as it was getting late, he said there was a sign for a guesthouse in the previous town, so we went to find it.

I know that guy!!!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #1859
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:

and here is where the blacktop ends!!

Old 09-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #1860
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598