holy shit - that's tempting.
Doug could sell tickets to that!
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #2222
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,646
One fun thing about Susuman, is they keep the road wet so its not as dusty. Which means you are riding on some slick assed black mud. And it gets everywhere. I guess its always like this? But once we left town, the road got dry again. Then we hit some other road repair areas, and again, the road was wet. The dirt here is really soupy mud when wet, one stretch was only a couple miles long, but I had to fight to keep the bike up. It was deep, and slippery as snot on a doorknob. Oh, and it was mixed with rocks, just to keep it interesting.
It wasn’t fun.
The trucks are getting more common now also, big clouds of dust, its almost never ending. I bet if you look at the road on google earth, it shows as a long skinny dust cloud.
Theres not really much to see along thru here, or if there was, I missed it because I couldn’t see shit.
We stopped in Orotukan that afternoon, it was about 2/3 empty, but had some signs of life. We stopped at the police station to ask about a hotel, but no one was there. It didn’t take long tho, and I guess the locals smelled fresh blood, as they started to creep out of buildings to look at us. We finally met a couple cops/army guys, and even the mayor showed up!
They were nice, & hooked us up with an apartment to stay in for the night, at no charge.
So they took us to a building at the other end of town. There were a lot of abandoned/empty buildings, but there were also a good bit of people still here. Why? I have NO idea. It was not a nice place. After we stuck our gear in the room, we parked the bikes in a garage behind the police station, and went to the local store to get some food.
The mayor warned us to be inside by dark, & not come outside at night. I don’t know why, zombies maybe? But we didn’t go out, just in case.

In a potential zombie situation, its always best to be cautious.

We stopped in this town for lunch, the GPS showed a café, but it wasn’t there anymore, but we found another. This was a really busy town, lots of people, (I cant remember the name of this town either) there was some ‘flag day’ festival, and a lot of people were walking to the center carrying flags. The cops there kept a pretty close eye on us, to make sure we weren’t gonna start any trouble.

On down the road, there was a bridge recently washed out, we had heard there was a water crossing thru some rather fast water, but they had put a pipe in & made a passable detour over the main stream, just a small creek & some mud had to be gone thru

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #2223
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

The bridge over the Kolyma river

Tom had some stickers made up, so I put one on the wheel of the bike on the speed limit sign

Orotukan, where we spent the night.The WW2 memorial was the best looking thing in town.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #2224
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

After we got in the room, we went to the store. Would you believe they had Budweiser?

Even better than that, they had a Dr Pepper clone, Dr Shasta. Shasta is a soda here in the US that is usually pretty cheap, sort of a copy of different brand name flavors.
They had 2 cans of it here. How did they find there way here? How old were they? All I know for sure, it was pretty damn good.

The next day started out with some nice slick black mud full of rocks. It packed nicely in my swingarm. Also, I had made the fur coat/seat cover the night before. Hansjorg had given me a gel pad, & between the two, the seat wasn’t as bad.
Had I not made the bike so tall, I wouldn’t have needed the seat to be so thin.
Live & learn!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #2225
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

The road got a lot better as we got closer to magadan, dirt, then some broken pavement, then pavement! WOOHOO!
Then dirt again. Shit!
Finally, the pavement returned. It was wonderful. I was weaving back & forth, enjoying as much of it as I could. Tom had ridden on ahead earlier today, we wouldn’t see him again until the hotel later.

Finally, I got to the Magadan sign. Finally! Son of a Bitch!
I was totally worn out. It had been a long hard ride to get here.
I had brought a cigar from home to smoke when I got here, I was glad we had both survived.

rtwdoug screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 08:46 AM
Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #2226
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Heres some of Max’s pics

In the town we had lunch in. the people here are actually fixing up the place, it was a nice place.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #2227
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Lovely Orotukan

The mayor showed up pushing a baby bugy, the front wheels were clogged with dust or whatever, & didn’t want to spin or steer, so I whooped out the American marvel, WD-40 and lubed em up a bit.
Heres some useless trivia, WD 40 was developed during WW2 to dry out wet ignitions on jeeps & stuff. WD is for Water Displacement, and it was the 40th formula that they had tried, before they found one that worked.
Tom was out of room in Yakutsk, & wanted to throw away the can to save space.
So I stuck it in my bag. I’ve always got room for WD-40

Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #2228
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #2229
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,551
awesome stuff as usual Doug...kudos

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #2230
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,817
This pic clearly shows that you definately NOT in American anymore...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
Not a 'fatty' in the bunch!!!
(have ya looked at groups of American kids lately??)

EPIC ride Doug!!!
(hope to see you in Seattle)

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #2231
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,997
hey Doug
time to update that sig line
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #2232
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
The mayor showed up pushing a baby bugy, the front wheels were clogged with dust or whatever, & didn’t want to spin or steer, so I whooped out the American marvel, WD-40 and lubed em up a bit.
Heres some useless trivia, WD 40 was developed during WW2 to dry out wet ignitions on jeeps & stuff. WD is for Water Displacement, and it was the 40th formula that they had tried, before they found one that worked.
Tom was out of room in Yakutsk, & wanted to throw away the can to save space.
So I stuck it in my bag. I’ve always got room for WD-40

Doug the diplomat! Hell of a trip, man. Thanks for sharing!
2. To ignore an event until the last minute so as to avoid any expectations of attendance, but then show up anyway.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #2233
olebiker
Old buzzard bait

Oddometer: 3,476
Doug that looks like one hell of a ride. That pic of you arriving with the stoogie kinda says it all. Thanks for taking us along.
olebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #2234
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Orutukan freaked me out a little bit, even though I didn't see any zombies. First, when you pull off the "highway", there is a sign that says something like "No outside vehicles allowed" (we ignored it). Then, when we pulled into town and were waiting with the mayor for them to arrange a room, I noticed that a couple of the local kids were chasing each other around playing as vampires, how cute! Then the room that they gave us (#13) had crossbones painted on the front door. Then the army guy who dropped us off told us not to leave the apartment after dark. WTF?!

But the tiny local store had some nice surprises, including the Budweiser that Doug mentioned (great for a St Louis boy like me), as well as fresh-popped cheese popcorn. Double WTF?! And the woman behind the counter had a relative in California or Arizona or somewhere, and he had invited her to visit, but she "didn't want to leave home in Orutukan". Triple WTF?!

Anyway, this is probably the most remote, god-forsaken town I've ever stayed in, and I was plenty glad to roll out of there in the morning, notwithstanding the Budweiser.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #2235
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

hahaha I forgot about the crossbones on the door.
it was a creepy place. I sorta wanted to go outside that nite, just to see what went on, but I really didnt want to hear 'I told you so' as I was running from a vampire/zombie/horny babushka.
You know, the ONLY access to the town, at all, is over that bridge. had anything happened to it, we'da been proper fucked.

All in all, I liked the place. Sure, it was weird, but thats what travelling is about, for me.
To see weird things, meet strange people, eat godawful food, get lost, and break motorcycles.

Im glad they let me leave tho, after I consumed all of the Dr Shasta in the town.

Doug