Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #346
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
I'm heading towards Sarajevo, always wanted to see bosnia, & never made the time to do it, so it should be interesting.
Doug
Bosnia is great.
Make sure you try the cevapi
Old 05-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #347
BikerNerd
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzs View Post
RTW Doug, you are a mad bastard,
Not going to wish you luck.......you don't need it, your already living it.
Can anyone inform me how Barber Motor Museum faired in the storm
They were fine. I went over there the day after the storms for a book signing but they were closed due to no power. I didn't see any damage around the museum at all. I have no idea about the track though.
BikerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #348
Tiago
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
The best coffee I have ever had I got at a gas station in Italy.
Clearly you haven't tasted a proper cup of coffee in Portugal.
Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #349
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,645
My bike finally arrived in Frankfurt on Saturday, only a couple days late, due to the idiots at US Customs Atlanta, who decided they needed a special power of attorney form to be able to ship my bike. Of course they dont tell anyone this until friday afternoon, too late in the day to do anything about it until monday.
The zoll ashloch (customs officer) decided he should check it out, so he had me open it up to see what I had. My green top box is actually a Smith & Wesson pistol case and has the S&W logo on it. His eyes lit up when he saw it, thinking maybe it had a pistol in it.
‘Don’t worry, Himmler, I left all of my guns at home’
finally, he decided that I HAD left my guns at home, & cleared us to leave.
Klaus & I picked it up, & took it back to his place where I stuck it all back together. We then all jumped in a couple cars, & headed to a party put on by another chapeter of his bike club, Chopper Club Germany, it was about 250km north, near Koln. Was a good party as always, & we stayed until about 2 am then headed back. I got to see many of my old friends, & as usual, made some new ones.
I got a few hours sleep, then finished loading the bike & hit the road for Munich that afternoon. I found out that I left the mount for my GPS at home, which especially sucks as I now have 2 zumo mounts in the US, and none here with me. It had a charged battery tho, so I figured I would just follow the road signs to Munich, & use the GPS to frind my friends house when I got close.
Well, for some reason, (my guess is to just annoy the french when they visit) but the shortest way, is not the way the signs tell you to go, so I ended up travelling a couple hours longer than needed, but I finally got there, about 10pm.
I met Peter last year at the HD super rally in Greece, he recognized me from my stories in The Horse (a chopper magazine) and he invited me to visit him.
The next morning, we went to go find a GPS mount, as without it, I cant get power to the unit. We went to Louis, a big bike gear chain here.
They had the mount, but the damn thing was $140.00! OUCH! I talked to the guy a bit, & then he says wait a sec, & goes in the back, comes out with a mount that he says was for a display, & it may work, may not, but go to try. So I did, but of course it was a dummy for display, & didnt work.
Dammit! So Im bummed about it, but oh well. I go back inside, tell him it doesnt work.He pulls the new one from the box, sticks the dummy in, & hands me the new one.
'no problem, I will send it back & say it doesnt work' What a guy! I thought that only in the US we pulled such shenanigans! (I did flip him a 20 for hookin me up)
So now, the GPS is fixed, so we went to visit the BMW Museum. I was last here in 06, & they were building a new museum, so hadnt been able to see it, & was looking forward to it. We get there, the damn place is closed on monday! Oh well, we'll come back tomorrow.
So we went to Peters shop, & I did a few minor things to the bike, installed some electrics, bled the rear brake, tightened a few bolts, etc.
The next day was cold & wet. we went to the BMW museum, it was really nice, many old bikes to look at, (seems BMW makes cars also!?) spent a couple hours there, then I finished packing up & headed off to Austria. It was a cold ride, not much rain, but overcast & nasty.

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #350
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Pickin up the crate. They will bring the crate to the bay for free, but to put it on the truck costs 12 euros.

Klaus & Bianca, he is remodeling this old train station into a house. It even has an air raid bunker in the basement, with thick steel doors

Some sites in Frankfurt (which I learned, was NOT named for the hot dog. Its actually from long ago, when the Franks crossed the river here at a ‘furt’ (ford in English)
Learn something new everyday……

This was downtown, this building was cool, has a hole built into it.

Hercules military bike

Nice rat.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #351
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Old Porsche at a gas station

Early Honda Africa twin at the Louis shop in Munich. I really like these, and shaft drive. Honda knows how to make a rear drive that will last, unlike some others……

The BMW factory museum & headquarters

I pulled up at the front for a pic of Peter & my bikes.

And left a little something for them

Old 05-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #352
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

The next morning we came back to the museum. What a cool collection.
On the way in, it seems they were covering up my oil spot with a big plant. It was just a little drip!

When you enter, theres all of these balls hanging from the ceiling. They make different shapes, old & new cars, etc. all done to music. It was a lot of work to figure that out. Now you know why a new GS costs 20k, you are paying for their fancy balls.

Ok, now some bikes!

Old 05-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #353
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

And heres something I learned, the original BMW roundel wasn’t a propeller, it was the Bavarian flag, which is blue & white checkered. They changed it backwards tho, to not offend the ruler of Bavaria at the time. The blue (blau) will always be on the left where the B is, and the white (weisse) will always be on the right where the W is. This is how they all look.

But then the museum guy showed me this one, which is backwards. They only know of 2 of them done this way, but no one knows why. So theres a little useless trivia for you.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #354
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

This car was beautiful. Late 50’s model 507 (if I remember right) was one of my fave cars there

This was my other

Of course hard to top an M1

Another thing I learned. Schorsht Meier (I probably spelled that wrong) the seat company, was started by Georg, Meier, a factory BMW bike racer, who was really good, & even won the Isle of Man. TT. They had several of his bikes on display, he died a few years ago at age 101

Old 05-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #355
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

We went to BMW world across the street, where they had all the present model cars & bikes on display.
This one was very exciting. Comfy seat just right for taking a nap on

At Peters shop, I was drooling over his wifes Panhead

Sissy bar made from a WW1 flag topper

Peter Mike & Alex
They share a garage with some other guys, & all had cool bikes

On the way back, we went down shit gobbler street

Peter made this badassed coffee table from a WW2 harley motor. I think I’ll make one from my blown out Indian motor.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #356
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,834
love the pics

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #357
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Yay!! We got pictures! Looking forward to some good ones from the party?!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #358
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,548
THIS is what I read Doug's ride reports for.

keep em coming Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post

On the way back, we went down shit gobbler street

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #359
Donmanolo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Umag.....

Well...turns out that while I was walking around waiting for the party to start I came across this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and after taking this picture I happened to look over at my bike which was nearby only to find this guy taking a picture of my bike

By giacomo77 at 2011-05-07

Sherry Jo turned up after a while...

By giacomo77 at 2011-05-07

Was such a cool surprise to meet you folks, sorry I didnt manage to run into either of you later during the party and I didn't get the chance to wish you both safe journey, so I'll do that here...!

Donmanolo screwed with this post 05-07-2011 at 06:51 PM
Donmanolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #360
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,425
I would think BMW would of been better off spending some of that money on a rear end you would not have to worry about. ;-).
Great pictures and a very cool place. Love that table.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote