User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #976
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,598
Hey Tiffany
I saw your sticker on the fridge at the boat ticket office in Baku. the one where Mr Cheerful works. Mine is on there now also.

Im heading to Khorog in the morning. Ive had enough of this big city livin.

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #977
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Magadan

Hey Doug, depending on when you arrive in Magadan, you may meet up with motorfiets. He's planning on arriving there in about a week. He's in novosibirsk, russia right now.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...686573&page=18

Awesome pics, btw. Love 'em.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #978
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,775
Subscribed. Another one to spend hrs reading.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #979
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

I had no idea what to expect in Azerbaijan. Now Iím going to places Ive never been before. Iím a little nervous, but also excited, new places, new things to see, new cops to annoy.
It took about 2 hours to get thru the border, 90% of that was waiting. The Azeri police reminded me of the catholics, as the higher the ranking the guy had, the bigger hat he wore. They were that old hi peaked soviet style.
But, they were ok, and were insistent that I knew about the 3 day/72 hour rule. I have a 30 day visa, but the bike is only allowed in for 72 hours, then it has to be put in the customs office at the port. Yeah, itís a pain in the ass. I would have liked to spent a little time exploring the country. So I finally got thru & headed east. I was trying to get to Ganja, its 150km from the border, good place to spend the night I figured. I was about 100km in, cruising along, and an oncoming cop car hit there lights, yelling at me over the speaker, then turned around & pulled me over.
OK, WTF is this about?
Well, according to them, I was speeding, 72 in a 40 they informed me, Then they took all my documents, & started writing out a ticket.
I asked where the speed limit sign was, as I was just leaving a town, & was doin 55km in what I thought was a 60 zone. They said I had passed the sign. I showed em my gps, & said I was doing 50, not 72.
They then inform me that I will have to go to a bank in the morning, pay a 100 dollar fine, and bring the receipt to the police department, & they will hold my license until then.
Well THATíS not good!
So Im trying to remember if I have an old copy of my DL with me, if so, they can keep my current DL, & Iíll get another when I get home.
Then they start saying I can just pay my fine directly to them, & save the trouble of waiting until the morning.
Well, isnít THAT helpful of them!
So I open my wallet, & show them that I only have 5.00
Oh, that wont work!
Then Im asked to sit in the car. So I do. And Im looking around, and then I ask the cop
Where is your fucking radar?
These clowns donít even have a radar!
Then they explain that THEY didnít clock me, but I was clocked at the last police checkpoint as I went thru.
So I asked them if they meant the one about 10km back, they said yes. I said, oh, the one where the speed limit was 50 (its always 50 thru the radar control places) and where the cop looked at me, & we waved hello to each other. Is that the one I was speeding thru?
They just sort of looked at me.
But you must pay the fine for speeding
They are losing now, after being caught in a few lies, & they know it. I now have the upper hand, sort of. The sun is setting, & I want to get off the road before dark, or I would have played the game a bit longer, & not paid anything. I pull out my wallet, show em the 5. they are not happy. I say ok, & put the wallet back in my pocket. Finally, they say ok, give us 5.00 & go.
So I did.
Bastards.
I learned from Ukrainian police, these guys were amatures.
A little farther, & another police check. I stopped & asked the cop where a hotel was, he was nice, & told me Iíd see it soon, cant miss it. And he was right. At the border to Ganja was a huge new marriot! 5 stars! Oops, I cant afford thisÖ. But I stop anyhow. Yep, cant afford it, 130 for a nite. I try to talk em down, as I donít need the sauna, pool, fitness, etc, but no luck. They did tell me where the cheaper hotel was in town tho, so I went there. The ganja hotel was an old soviet era place, was probably nice 40 years ago, not so much now tho. Still wasnít cheap, 60 bucks, but oh well, I was tired.
The next morning I walked around the center a bit, not much to see, so I hit the road early, long way to Baku.

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #980
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Fancy new castle lookin place at the border

Nice toilet, with a bidet

Traffic jam, with some mean ugly cows

An azeri Ďhamburgerí a bun, with some sort of processed Ďhamí looking stuff, with ketchup. Was about as tasty as it looks, which is not very

Sights in Ganja

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #981
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

The entrance to town

No more Ganja.

The ride to baku was mostly flat, boring & hot. I didnít stop much on the way. Finally, I hit the Caspian Sea & turned left, and arrived at Baku about 5pm

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #982
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Baku is a new modern city, and pretty big. 1.5 Million I think? Anyhow, I went down along the shore, to the old town & found a room at the Noahs Ark hotel. Very nice place, & friendly people. They opened a small door off the alley, & let me put the bike inside.
The next day I wandered around town to see some sights, the old town still had the walls around it, & was pretty nice, everything else was new & modern

I went to the history museum, as I wanted to learn a bit about the area, and also get some more info on the Azeri-Armenia problem.

The museum was in a mansion built about 100 years ago by some big time oil tycoon. They made me leave my knife at the door (had to go thru a metal detector) then I had to put on these cheap plastic shoe covers

Theres been people thruout the caucus region for a really long time. In fact, they call white folks Ďcaucasiansí because they originated from the area. Or so I remember being told..

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #983
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Anyhow, lots of history here, & some really old stuff to look at.

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #984
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

The gold filigree work was nice

This is an early oil well. The Azeri economy has been mostly run from oil for over 100 years, and its still the main thing here

The museum followed a timeline until they became independent in 1918. then it either just ended, or I missed it. As its in an old mansion, the museum sort of snakes thru the first floor rooms. From 1918, then I was ushered upstairs to see the rest of the mansion. So really the only thing I learned was the AZ-AR conflict isnít recent, it started in the 1800ís, with the Armenians taking over azeri land, or so it said. Which seems a bit odd to me, as Armenia has pretty much been in the same spot for almost a couple thousand years. But then, I donít believe everything I read.

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #985
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

So when I get upstairs, I have to put on these carpet slippers to continue.

This guy had a lot of money. The decorations & craftsmanship of the work was unbelievable

The carpet shoes were because of the handlaid wooden floor

This room was awesome, the whole ceiling was made with cut mirrors

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #986
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

And heres the outside

Luckily, I only walked about Ĺ a block, before I realized I had forgotten to remove the plastic shoe covers.

This is the Maiden Tower, its got 7 floors, & a spiral staircase to the top

Nice views from the top

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #987
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

And did you know there is a bike club in Baku? Well, neither did I, but there is. This is Vlad, Doc & Emil (the guy to my left is the hotel manager)
They are in the Motosaurs MC (I like the name) Great guys, & we had fun hanging out, they took me to see some sites, and helped A LOT with dealing with customs & the ferryboat.

They took me out to dinner, then we went to the port to ask about a boat. The ticket guy has a reputation among travelers as being something of a dick. And I know why. They guy must just be miserable, & takes it out on everyone. Maybe his ol lady ran off with an ural rider or something?
Anyhow, with the guys along, things went easier, but he still didnít say when the boats left or anything. I donít think they actually HAVE a schedule, they just go when full. And he wouldnít give a price for me either, said to come back tomorrow.

The fridge in the office had stickers from several travelers on it, some that I know. Tiffany, Guzzi overland, & Nicola, from Italy

The next day, Emil had invited me to stay with him, so I left the hotel, & we went to his work, he installs drilling rigs, & puts these huge electric motors on the drills.

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #988
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

After work, we took the bike to customs. I got there 30 minutes before the 72 hour deadline. Dropping the bike off was pretty easy, no headaches. Finding the place was tough tho, as theres no signs.
So if you want to find the port, the entrance is north of the old town about 3km, across from Liman restaurant, theres a little unmarked road

After the train tracks, theres a building on the right, with a small sign

Keep going to the front, & look for this door, thatís the ticket office. The port is at the end of the road, just keep going down it.

The next morning, Vlad & I went to the office, & they said a boat was leaving in 45 minutes! Damn, nothing like cutting it close! So the ticket for me & the bike was about 140.00. different ticket guy today, he was nice, & cost less, mr dick said it would be 220.
We went to a store, as theres no food on board, its just a cargo boat, & sometimes it can be stuck 2-3 days waiting for the port at turkmenbashi to clear so they can dock. The crossing itself is about 14 hours.
So I said bye to Vlad, & got on the boat. The guys are planning to go to a bike party in Ukraine next summer, so we made plans to meet there. They gave me an Azeri flag, which will look good in the bar. I was hoping to have more time, as Vlad is also into old bikes, & wanted to show me some stuff. Theres a few old bikes in AZ still, they told me of a guy who had a BMW R12 that he took to the scrapyard recently (they didnít know until it was too late)
So I told em I wanted to buy old bike stuff, & they want new bike stuff, so manybe we can work out some trades!

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #989
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

I get on the boat, & some guy offers to chain my bike down for only 20 bucks. I laughed, & said no thanks, Iíll do it myself. He wasnít too happy about that, & even less so when I pulled a ratched strap out of my bag & secured the bike. It wasnít going anywhere.

A lady on the ship took me to a cabin. I wasnít expecting that, and I was waiting for her to want money, but she never asked. Luckily, the porthole window opened, as it was pretty damn hot in there. Crappy cabin, and I had to rewire one of the lights to make it work, but better than sleeping on the deck!

Last views of Baku, look out Turkmenistan!

My friend Vasili from Bulgaria had given me this swiss army looking fork/spoon set for my trip, & asked that I post a picture, so here ya go, its being used well!

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #990
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,690
That is just plain GROSS!!!!
I'd hafta be pretty damn hungry to chow down on that!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
An azeri Ďhamburgerí a bun

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote