Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #1096
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstan View Post
Doug, is the "model of the vehicle" in your bike registration papers really "nada" or did you just tell this name to the customs officer? Hilarious either way

Naw, HADA = "What bike number?"

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #1097
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post

Then the local chapter of Allahs Avengers MC showed up.
 I'm still laughing over that one!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #1098
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
Hey Doug. Just catching up here. I had similar experiences in TM. Whatshisname was still alive then. Wierd place. Hey, after Osh are you heading over to lake Issyk Kul? It's pretty cool- I know a good place to stay- ask for Valentine at Yak tours. You'd like him. He builds some wild rides in his shop there. He used to teach off road sidecar riding skills for the Soviet army. Now he builds kooky Ural quads and stuff- total motorhead. He must be like 80 by now.

UZ has plenty more to reccomend it than the last two 'stans. Have fun man! Even though it is a lot of barren wasteland, I liked this part of the world.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:27 AM   #1099
Tiffany
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 951
Thumb Dodgy Alternator??

Doug
I'm not one to give technical advice ( I can hear the cackles of laughter from here)
however, why don't you get another alternator sent out? I got one sent to Outer Mongolia.

I've done the research- google did say that I am the first person to ask how much a Harley Davidson alternator weighs.

the answer is 9-11lbs

DHL can get one to you for $200

won't it make a differenc to your journey if you don't have to rely on the battery being charged every night? it will give you some flexibilty on where you go - places like Song Kul which is really nice do not have any electricity (or even hotels or restaurrants) but hey, it's a pretty place to camp.

however, I do realise you probably have a cunning plan in place, to sort it out. I'm just trying to be helpful.

Good luck

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #1100
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,559
Hey Tiffany
if you had been paying attention like the rest of the class....

My friend Nick from Italy was heading to KRG/UZB and stopped by my friend Rolands shop in Hungary, picking up a new stator & regulator to bring me (its my support truck, all us big time adventure riders have them)
Anyhow Nick is riding a big harley geezer glide. (it IS a truck....)
So he broke down in Kusari, KAZ, far west of here, in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Why? well, his alternator went out also

His bike is fuel injected, so uses alot more juice than mine does, & also has a different alternator, as I told him to use mine to fix his bike, & I'd have another shipped in. but its different.
Anyhow. so now I have to have the parts moved from BFKaz to Almaty, as theres no borders to cross, therefore no customs BS to deal with.
So I contact my friend Andrej from Finland (longwaybackhome on here) who works part time in Kaz. He put me in touch with Yeldos, a biker/businessman in Almaty, who got a guy to pick up the parts from Nick, put them on an airplane, & they got to almaty yesterday. I got here last nite.
It was quite an international effort, but the parts & the bike are now in the same place.
So guess what Im doing today?

But as always, thanks for the shipping (or any other) advice/tips. where are you at now?

I met several people that met you, mostly on bicycles. I wish we could have met up

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 09:01 PM
rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #1101
Mtl-Marc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Hey Tiffany
if you had been paying attention like the rest of the class....

Doug

Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #1102
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,559
Yesterday I crossed from Kyrgyzstan to Kazakhstan. At the border, there was a mob trying to get thru. many cars, and ALOT of people, all carrying/dragging/pulling big piles of stuff, boxes, bags of whatever.
everyone is pushing, trying to get thru a spot wide enough for a car, and cars trying to get thru also. it was such a clusterfuck!
then a soldier fought his way in, and started yelling at people and hitting there bags/sacks/boxes with a billy club, trying to get them to move. but there were SO many people, and now they are trying to get away from the pissed off soldier. I'm on the bike, getting bumped around, almost knocked over a couple times. Then the soldier starts hitting people with the club. he's beatin the shit out of a guy about 6 feet from me. they guy cant go anywhere because of the crowd.
My helmet is on the handlebars, so I figure I should put it on, just in case he comes after me. He sees me put it on & starts to laugh
'no, no, you are ok'
so then he gets in front of me & clears a path so I can get thru.
It was some of the craziest shit I'd ever seen.

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #1103
SlowernOlder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Maybe he is following this ride report and wants an update.........
Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #1104
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
Oh, so now the border staff are beating the snot out of people to clear a path for your ease of access, WOW - true cult status :
Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #1105
Ardyjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
Oh, so now the border staff are beating the snot out of people to clear a path for your ease of access, WOW - true cult status :

That's what I was thinking!
Ardyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #1106
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones..

Oddometer: 12,732
Quote:
My helmet is on the handlebars, so I figure I should put it on, just in case he comes after me. He sees me put it on & starts to laugh
'no, no, you are ok'
Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #1107
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:

Well, that's saying something. Hey you know David from Stantours lives in Almaty (above a decent pizza joint). He's a cool guy and a good contact if you need one. Not much going on in that town as I recall. Good luck with the bike.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #1108
adaleb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
This is what we tune in for

Quote:
Yesterday I crossed from Kyrgyzstan to Kazakhstan. At the border, there was a mob trying to get thru. many cars, and ALOT of people, all carrying/dragging/pulling big piles of stuff, boxes, bags of whatever.
everyone is pushing, trying to get thru a spot wide enough for a car, and cars trying to get thru also. it was such a clusterfuck!
then a soldier fought his way in, and started yelling at people and hitting there bags/sacks/boxes with a billy club, trying to get them to move. but there were SO many people, and now they are trying to get away from the pissed off soldier. I'm on the bike, getting bumped around, almost knocked over a couple times. Then the soldier starts hitting people with the club. he's beatin the shit out of a guy about 6 feet from me. they guy cant go anywhere because of the crowd.
'no, no, you are ok'
so then he gets in front of me & clears a path so I can get thru.
Doug, this post is why you are the best. Great sense of what you are going though as you make your way across the world. I can just picture the scene...
adaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #1109
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
'no, no, you are ok'
Bet you never thought you'd hear that one from a cop.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #1110
O'B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorang View Post
Hi

Mr. Doug and his Dirtster, yesterday evening:

No oil spots there (and just in case - they all belong to my bikes )

He met me some 50 km before Graz and followed me on smaller roads to a coffee at my home where we waited for Hannes to pick him up. Never rode with somebody that slow - he just sucked in the sun and the landscape, all eyes and ears, and obviously enjoyed the route, took some photos etc.

After some talk about life in general and hungarian/other old sidecars (which he knows a lot of) he left for an overnight stay at Hannes' place.

I hoped for him it was warmer today, but my gauge says 3 C. Sorry Doug, and safe travels!

Andy
Thats the coolest looking Harley I have ever seen. How does it handle? Is it top heavey?
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote