Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #61
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
The D70 axle is good up to 8000lb/ft of torque and came stock behind the Cummins for many years.
8000 ft/lbs?

Now THAT'S good metallurgy!

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #62
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldoc View Post
That Cummins is a good sized lump and those engine rooms are pretty tight with the 460 or 7.2 diesel. Will you have to modify the engine cover or make a new one? How about the firewall? Is the Allison going to clear the floor, or will you have to cut it?

It was difficult to measure the 460 while in the chassis and I did it a while ago, but I think the Cummins was only 2 inches longer & about the same width (with the turbo & accessories). I don't know about the bellhousing and the Allison clearing the existing floor pan cut out nor the dog house. I'm fully prepared to modify those. I fully believe it all will clear the firewall without issue. Only time will tell.

From what I've read, I will need to modify the dog house to make more room for the engine. No problem.

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #63
Streamin' E
Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
I'm in.
Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their “betters.”- Tom Sowell
Streamin' E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #64
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
8000 ft/lbs?

Now THAT'S good metallurgy!
even a small engine with a granny low and double x-fer cases could make 8000 at the pinion. If you have a 100:1 crawl ratio and 5.13 gears it takes less than 400 lb ft at the engine to get to 8000 lb ft at the drive shaft yoke. At that point, the axles themselves would be twisted to the tune of 40,000 lb ft...mind you that you might have to mark the tire with chalk to prove to yourself that it's turning
Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #65
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
3.55 is the smallest ratio you would want. 3.73 or 4.10 would be better for hauling heavy loads so I wouldn't recommend towing anything too large with it.

The D70 axle is good up to 8000lb/ft of torque and came stock behind the Cummins for many years.
depending on tire size 3.54 seems alright, i wouldn't go any higher than 3.73 to keep the revs down, but I'm unfamiliar with the ratios in the allison. can we get a model number off the tranny and your tire size? We can figure out what RPMs you will be seeing at the engine using one of the many online gear calcs.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #66
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Diesel Generator

You can solve the diesel generator issue.
Find an engine from an old Thermoking, they used Isuzu 25HP engines, or an old Carrier, they used Kubotas, from a reefer trailer and add a generator head to it.

With new smog laws out in California etc the old units are nearly worthless today and the engines run forever. My thermoking has 34,000 hours on it, just started to use a little oil. The Carrier I have has 31,000 hours on it and uses no oil.

They're heavy for a genset use, but I doubt you could find anything more reliable.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #67
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

@ZeroKnots: The Allison is a 542. The tire diameter is 30". I remember seeing a calculator somewhere that you put in the high gear ratio, diff ratio and tire diameter and it would tell you what engine RPM at what speed. Too tired to do it tonight but if you're bored I'd sure appreciate an estimate. Thanks!

@CatFish: Hmmmm.... that's a good idea but probably out of scope for the next few months. It was previously suggested that an unleaded genset converted to propane would drink fuel. While I don't use it too much I really don't want to fill the propane as often as diesel. I'll keep my eyes open and if I stumble across a small diesel like you suggest I'll snag it just in case!

Diesel RV build

Old 05-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #68
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
@ZeroKnots: The Allison is a 542. The tire diameter is 30". I remember seeing a calculator somewhere that you put in the high gear ratio, diff ratio and tire diameter and it would tell you what engine RPM at what speed. Too tired to do it tonight but if you're bored I'd sure appreciate an estimate. Thanks!

@CatFish: Hmmmm.... that's a good idea but probably out of scope for the next few months. It was previously suggested that an unleaded genset converted to propane would drink fuel. While I don't use it too much I really don't want to fill the propane as often as diesel. I'll keep my eyes open and if I stumble across a small diesel like you suggest I'll snag it just in case!
at 65mph you will be turning 2584rpm in 4th gear at a 1:1 ratio. Otherwise known as redline for that motor and pretty common on most diesel buses, coaches, and general fleet vehicles.

Here are your transmission ratios 3.454/2.253/1.407/1.000 and reverse 5.02

A secondary OD unit would be sweet in this rig to bring the RPMs down to a more fuel manageable 1800-2200rpm.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #69
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
even a small engine with a granny low and double x-fer cases could make 8000 at the pinion.
I'm having difficulty getting behind that one: we're turning an 8.5" bit at the end of 7800' of pipe and torquing up to 8500+- ft lbs. downhole-- I have trouble believing that a driveline could endure anywhere near 8K.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:54 AM   #70
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
at 65mph you will be turning 2584rpm in 4th gear at a 1:1 ratio. Otherwise known as redline for that motor and pretty common on most diesel buses, coaches, and general fleet vehicles.

A secondary OD unit would be sweet in this rig to bring the RPMs down to a more fuel manageable 1800-2200rpm.
turning those RPMs trying to maintain hwy speeds will kill your gas mileage. Sounds like OD in your future.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #71
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Wow! Those numbers don't look so great. I'm open to suggestions: regear the differential? divorced OD unit? I can't seem to find any married units. Besides, for what I'd pay for a new Gear Vendors unit I could just buy a 6 speed automatic transmission and solve the whole problem. I would prefer to stay with a fully mechanical transmission. A transmission requiring an electronic shift controller just opens a new can of worms.

Ideas?

Diesel RV build

Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #72
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,518
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
turning those RPMs trying to maintain hwy speeds will kill your gas mileage. Sounds like OD in your future.
Quote:
Wow! Those numbers don't look so great. I'm open to suggestions: regear the differential? divorced OD unit? I can't seem to find any married units. Besides, for what I'd pay for a new Gear Vendors unit I could just buy a 6 speed automatic transmission and solve the whole problem. I would prefer to stay with a fully mechanical transmission. A transmission requiring an electronic shift controller just opens a new can of worms.

Ideas?
55mph was the prevailing speed limit when both the RV and the Dodge were built, so I'm not surprised that it's geared that way. Maybe a 2-speed rearend could be found, but whether the ratios would be any better is a crapshoot. If the wheelwells are big enough, maybe you could go up a couple of tire sizes to drop your effective rpm at 65.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #73
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:

Ideas?
A .8 final gear would give you 2050 rpm at 65mph so I would look for an old divorced OD unit for a few hundred bucks. Apparently the Spicer 5831 is a popular unit.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #74
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,648
In!!!
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #75
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I'm having difficulty getting behind that one: we're turning an 8.5" bit at the end of 7800' of pipe and torquing up to 8500+- ft lbs. downhole-- I have trouble believing that a driveline could endure anywhere near 8K.
he likely did mean 800 instead of 8000. If the tires couldn't slip you'd have a mess with said 400 lb.ft engine and 100:1 crawl ratio gearing. Not sure what the weak link would be

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: