'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #77
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
he likely did mean 800 instead of 8000. If the tires couldn't slip you'd have a mess with said 400 lb.ft engine and 100:1 crawl ratio gearing. Not sure what the weak link would be
"Some Specifications on the Dana 70:

Max gearing is a massive 7.17:1
Excellent Locker Selection
1.5 35 Spline Shafts
Max Torque Rating: 8,000 lb-ft or 8,800 lb-ft for the HD
Nodular Iron Housing"
-http://www.greatlakeoffroad.com/Dana-70-Disc-Brake-Swap.html
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #78
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
I still say it will take a lot of fuel to offset the cost if the gasser is still strong.But honestly I do shit like this too and understand. I Usually wait till I blow the old one up though. If there is anthing you want to know about the chassis PM me the vin. I work for a Ford Dealer so I can get you the specs.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #79
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,847
@NDebt: Thanks for the VIN check offer. I've already run it through and didn't find out much - not that I care. It was an unfinished body (whatever the actual term is) when it left Ford so the VIN isn't as helpful as on a regular truck.

On the way home tonight, right around the corner from my house I pass a wrecked F250 with a couple'a good old boys tearing it down. It has the 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel. It's been sitting there for a few days now with the front end totally wrecked. Apparently he hit some of those 'safety' barrels on the highway - you know: filled with sand. Anyway it wrecked the front axle, frame, front clip, etc. The long and short of it all is that he's pulling the engine & transmission to put in a 'new' truck he just bought. He's parting out the rest......

So on a hand shake deal I got dual tanks, all the fuel lines, the filler necks, fuel switching setup - the whole kit! The price was reasonable & I'm happy. If my original (gas) fuel tank is galvanized then I can't use diesel in it. Apparently diesel fuel will dissolve the coating and gum everything up.

The plan is to stop by on Thursday afternoon and strip it all out!

SWEET! Funny how things just work out sometimes!

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #80
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
So on a hand shake deal I got dual tanks, all the fuel lines, the filler necks, fuel switching setup - the whole kit! The price was reasonable & I'm happy.
Nice!

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #81
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 459
knowledge

Just a quick note:
I stumbled upon this thread and am sitting here with my jaw on the desk in amazement of how much knowledge and wilingness to tackle amazing projects. You guys are unbelievable.

Keep it us Joz!
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #82
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 814
Freakin awesome swap! The drivetrain will handle the 6bt no problem. Its set up for a 460 and a crap ton of weight. The cummins makes similar torque, just gets way better fuel economy that the big block.

Check the casting numbers on that 460. It may be the tall deck and you could get a 557 stroker kit for it and drop it into a t-bucket or rat rod. Just a thought.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #83
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
Check the casting numbers on that 460. It may be the tall deck and you could get a 557 stroker kit for it and drop it into a t-bucket or rat rod. Just a thought.
Or, if for some reason the Cummins doesn't work out, he could put the stroked 460 back in. Probably wouldn't do much for his fuel economy, though.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #84
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 814
Thats why I opted for dropping it in a rat rod. When your a cool kat then your not worried about fuel economy.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #85
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
Thats why I opted for dropping it in a rat rod. When your a cool kat then your not worried about fuel economy.
How about zoomies on the motorhome? That move it toward the rat rod category?
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #86
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Some serious goodness came into my world today! I should have taken more photos of the F250 who surrendered her fuel tanks, fuel lines, filler necks and fuel switch to my greasy hands today, but this is about all I got:

A few hours, more than a few beers later this is the result:

It seems like half the neighborhood showed up to see what was going on. The guy with the F250 got visited by the neighborhood HOA, the city ordinance folks and even the sheriff! Seems like someone wanted him busted for trying to fix a busted truck. No matter. With enough friends (some old and some new) we got the engine/transmission/transfer case out of the wrecked truck and onto the bed of his 'new' truck. Then dropped the chassis onto a solid front axle and rolled/slid the remainder of the wreck into his driveway (had to get it off the public street by noon tomorrow). The original 7.3L PowerStroke (from the wrecked truck) has better than 500,000 miles and that's the good engine! That will go in his 'new' truck. Then engine in the 'new' truck sounds WAY worse than my Cummins when I got it.

Speaking of Cummins..... I got some Cummins goodies today:

Piston, rings, cylinder head bolts and full gasket kit! Whoo hoo! Guess what I'm doing this weekend????

Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #87
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
Some serious goodness came into my world today! I should have taken more photos of the F250 who surrendered her fuel tanks, fuel lines, filler necks and fuel switch to my greasy hands today, but this is about all I got:

A few hours, more than a few beers later this is the result:

It seems like half the neighborhood showed up to see what was going on. The guy with the F250 got visited by the neighborhood HOA, the city ordinance folks and even the sheriff! Seems like someone wanted him busted for trying to fix a busted truck. No matter. With enough friends (some old and some new) we got the engine/transmission/transfer case out of the wrecked truck and onto the bed of his 'new' truck. Then dropped the chassis onto a solid front axle and rolled/slid the remainder of the wreck into his driveway (had to get it off the public street by noon tomorrow). The original 7.3L PowerStroke (from the wrecked truck) has better than 500,000 miles and that's the good engine! That will go in his 'new' truck. Then engine in the 'new' truck sounds WAY worse than my Cummins when I got it.

Speaking of Cummins..... I got some Cummins goodies today:

Piston, rings, cylinder head bolts and full gasket kit! Whoo hoo! Guess what I'm doing this weekend????
Bah, bureaucracies. Idiots don't have anything actually important to do so they hassle regular honest citizens. Aren't there like, crack houses, and fences painted the wrong color these idiots can focus on?

This weekend will you be.... rebuilding a lawnmower engine?

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #88
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Well, after blowing off working on the engine last Saturday for an EPIC ride, then domestic bliss on Sunday, we went riding yesterday leaving....finally.....today to work on the engine:

New piston ready to go onto the connecting rod:

Cylinder honed and ready:

Cylinder all honed with piston installed:

Hopefully I'll carve out some time to get the rest done this week....

Old 05-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #89
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,283

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #90
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
found this today on criags list in my area..

http://southbend.craigslist.org/pts/2349673033.html
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: