User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM   #1
dah OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
One more time: Ktm 500exc vs 350exc

Help me decide, I am coming from a WR250R that I use to ride dirt roads in the mountains of NC, some dual sport rides, and nearby riding parks which feature some single track. I'm a slow, careful 57 year old rider, and have been leaning toward the 350EXC since I know it will work better than my Yamaha. I will buy new from my local dealer who has both bikes (500 and 350) on the floor. I'm apprehensive about the abrupt nature of the power of the 500, from what I've read. My dealer has touted the 500 as better for the dirt roads, and thinks the bike would not be too intimidating in stock form. Also, I've read many ADV posts on the 350 about how much easier it is to ride slowly, less tiring, etc. Any comments on which bike would be easiest to trail ride slowly, I don't want to deal with more bike than I can handle, I generally like to shift early when trail riding, lugging the bike is more my style as opposed to higher revs.

Sorry for the long, redundant post, I've read both threads on the 350 and 500, any information on which seems easier (I guess I mean slower) to ride would be greatly appreciated!
David
dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #2
tradmark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Youre in my boat. 500 is the easy choice imho, i got the husky. Power is not abrupt. Very very gradual
tradmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #3
Duane1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
"I generally like to shift early when trail riding, lugging the bike is more my style as opposed to higher revs."

If this is the case.................I would say 500 without a doubt. The newer models are very smooth on the power delivery (other than a little "twitch" off of idle on some bikes due to the fuel mapping) and very manageable. More power...........more right hand.

The 350 likes to be "reved" a bit more.
Duane1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM   #4
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,211
Yeah, definitely the 500. Plus, if you really want to start lugging it, get a Rekluse and gear it down a bit.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #5
Chris6501
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
What about the Beta 500? or the Beta 430?

Go to youtube and type " ktm 500 single track" do the same for the 350....with the go-pro cameras you can really get a good feel for each bike. I'm in this same struggle between bikes, I want both!

but for slow riding....I would think the 500 would be able to tractor better with all that torque.
Chris6501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #6
MotoChris521
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah View Post
I generally like to shift early when trail riding, lugging the bike is more my style as opposed to higher revs.

So is that why you sold your WRR ?
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #7
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Love my 500 XCW - won't say that I ever loved my WRR but after almost 60K miles lets just say that I respect it.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #8
dah OP
n00b

I haven't considered a Beta as my KTM dealer is a dedicated dirt rider and just up the road. I, too, have great respect for the WR250R as it's never let me down, but I'd like something new, with a bit more low end power and less weight.
David
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #9
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 491
For what it's worth, I also ride mountains of nc, brown mountain, sometimes brushy, and dual sport events. I am riding a ten year old 450 which I like a lot. I have ridden both the 350 and 500. If I were to get one, for the riding previously described, I would get the 350 xcw and tag it. If you don't want to go that route, I would get the 350 exc.
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #10
dah OP
n00b

I don't want to worry about NC DMV hassle with anything other than an EXC. Sounds like your riding area is mine, are there some specific reasons you'd opt for the 350 over the 500? You certainly know where we ride!
thanks
David
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM   #11
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,994
The 350 will lug just fine, with a down shift if you need a burst. It has very tractable power that won't toss you down the mountain if you hit the gas at the wrong time. It does have a higher revving power band, but that's why I like it. Very controllable at low revs but a downshift and you can get after it. It handles dirt roads just fine, will cruise no problem 70mph with 14/50 gearing. You can't go wrong with either one, but if you want that rip your arms off feeling get the 500, if you want manageable power down low with a hit higher up get the 350. They're both fast with excellent suspension.

Check out jimmy Lewis' review of the 350 in dirt rider (I think) and chilly whites on enduro360.com. Chilly really captures what the bike is about IMO.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #12
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 491
For brown and brushy there is no need that I can foresee needing the 500. Hell my bike is tiring some times and if I could afford an additional small woods bike I would have one. So to meet the middle ground, I would choose the 350. The 350 exc, once correctly geared and de smogged etc etc, is plenty for brown and brushy. For forest roads and dual sporting, I ride with three guys (good riders) that have 350 exc's. I have not seen or heard these guys ever wish for more bike. Once again, only my opinion
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM   #13
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Hey Dah,
I ride the same areas too. I have a 14 500EXC and a 14 Husaberg FE350 (the same basic engine as 350 xcw/exc). I love them both, dual sport the 500 and race enduros/trail ride the 350. I could race the 500 and dual sport the 350... so it is a tough choice.

Myself and Bart at Ride PG, were having this same discussion the other day about the new Husky FE350S and FE501S. He asked me which I would buy, for me if I could only have one, I would go with the 350. This surprised him because I have had larger displacement dual sports. I explaned because I currently would ride more off road and it would be a bit easier to manage, even though the 500 is very capable and I have tons of fun on it.

Also, the 350 engine is not a slouch by any means, these things will rip. It would rev out a little higher on highway duty, but is a blast in the woods.

It really all boils down to how you are going to ride the bike and what you are going to be more comfortable on.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #14
danptobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
the 500 is smooth and gentile. unless you popthe clutch or really yank the throttle it doesnt get out of hand. its not like a 2stroke motocrosser. alot of guys who have ridden both in the tight stuff do seem to prefer the 350 for tught stuff thet say it feels lighter.
danptobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:34 AM   #15
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
So, I've never ridden a 350 so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I've always ridden 2T dirtbikes, mostly 250's and 300's in recent years until a few months ago. I purchased a FE 501 S in January and got about 30 hours seat time on it in February in CA. Power wise, it's not as abrupt at my TE 250, but loads more torque. I did not find it unmanagable at all and not once did I find myself in any "oh shit" moments.

However (there is always a "but"), if I could only have one bike, I'd probably look at a plated 350. I love riding tight, technical ST and I doubt my 501 will get much duty there. The lighter, more nimble 2T is the ticket, but from everything I have read, the 350F would be a close second.
Taurkon is online now   Reply With Quote