Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #1576
TeamJunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
Unfortunately no exc owners on here answered my question about the size of chain they have. On rocky mountain atv/mc under machine specs I found the answer for myself so hoping its correct., running at
The stock chain lenght on the 500exc is 114 pins with 15/45 gearing, runnnig a 14/48 gearing the rear tire rubs the
the rear shock guard mud flap with stock chain lenght, I run a 116 pin chain with 14/49 gearing.
TeamJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #1577
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamJunk View Post
The stock chain lenght on the 500exc is 114 pins with 15/45 gearing, runnnig a 14/48 gearing the rear tire rubs the
the rear shock guard mud flap with stock chain lenght, I run a 116 pin chain with 14/49 gearing.
That's weird. I looked at this http://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/KTM2012/2012_500XCW.pdf on page 22 and says the chain is 118 rolls. I'm assuming a roll is a link.

Also on this link http://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/KTM2012/2012_500EXC.pdf for the exc on page 21 it says the chain is 118 rolls.

They both have the same part number for the chain which is 78010167118. Maybe there are less pins than there are links??
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #1578
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
I think he's talking about your ADV ticker you post whore.
oh.. lol - yeah in the past 10 years I've posted a time or two
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #1579
robmeoff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Front Brake squeals like a pig

Has anyone else had issues with their front brake squealling? I have read back through this post and cant find anything so thought id post this up.
I have had it back to the dealer twice. The first time was just a cleanand rough up the second was new pads but still it squeals like a pig when under heavy or long braking.
I took the pads out myself and cleaned the disc with a scourer and brakleen and then hit the pads with a rasp and brakleen but still no good. Ive checked the disc bolts and even the little magnetic pick-up for some sort of harmonic vibration.
Its very annoying and the brakes also dont seem to be ultra grippy, to do a stoppy is quite hard as i dont feel the brake gripping as it should.

Any comments?
robmeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #1580
robmeoff
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLY View Post
Has anyone else had issues with their speedo. Both mine and a mates have lost illumination while running, both are still collecting data and display works for a period when button is pushed. Both bikes have done around 50 hours and have a blown headlight, possibly a related issue?
Hey Belly i just replaced my blown headlight at around 50hrs also. Had blown a fuse also. I looked at the bulb and the Hbeam diffuser had warped and shorted out the bulb.my speedo is still fine though(i will double check when i get home)
Old 06-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #1581
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmeoff View Post
Has anyone else had issues with their front brake squealling? I have read back through this post and cant find anything so thought id post this up.
I have had it back to the dealer twice. The first time was just a cleanand rough up the second was new pads but still it squeals like a pig when under heavy or long braking.
I took the pads out myself and cleaned the disc with a scourer and brakleen and then hit the pads with a rasp and brakleen but still no good. Ive checked the disc bolts and even the little magnetic pick-up for some sort of harmonic vibration.
Its very annoying and the brakes also dont seem to be ultra grippy, to do a stoppy is quite hard as i dont feel the brake gripping as it should.

Any comments?
mine does the same thing....ehhh, I just deal with it.....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #1582
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
mine does the same thing....ehhh, I just deal with it.....

same
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #1583
robmeoff
Adventurer

If it was just in the bush it wouldnt be a problem but even a quick blat down to the beach to check the swell and the thing howls its guts out, not good when i think the worlds highest concentration of cops seems to be in the same area and just love pulling dirt bikes over for any and everything thaey can think of.(yes, number plate is not legal as its plastic, indicators are not ADR, dont like your haircut, and definately are not fans of mono's!!)
Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #1584
EVELKNIEVEL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Ktm factory rim set

AAAAWWWWWWW YEEEEEEAAAAAAAWWW ups just dropped off my factory rim set today with preset torque wrench for spokes
gonna get some sand tires for these rims

HAPPY LANDINGS
EVEL KNIEVEL
EVELKNIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #1585
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
organic pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmeoff View Post

Any comments?
Mine don't make a sound, but i only have 23 hrs so far. E-ticket put the KTM organic pads on his for better feel. I am sure they wear out faster, but the softer compound should not glaze so easily. Have any of you guys with the squeal tried them?

While I am on here, I use 14/48 with a stock EXC chain with no rub, just flipped the blocks, don't know what the link count on it is on the chain. And my low beam went out at less than 14 hours but my computer still works fine. Haven't checked the fuses or replaced it, just run high beam on the road and no beam on the trail. No night riding so far. If I did, I would be leaning towards the BD lights.
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #1586
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Nice!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVELKNIEVEL View Post
AAAAWWWWWWW YEEEEEEAAAAAAAWWW ups just dropped off my factory rim set today with preset torque wrench for spokes
gonna get some sand tires for these rims

HAPPY LANDINGS
EVEL KNIEVEL
I'm gonna need to see some pics of that set up! Sharp!
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #1587
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
my bet it is on the easy map not a the aggressive map
Mudguts, why do you say that?
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #1588
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Mine don't make a sound, but i only have 23 hrs so far. E-ticket put the KTM organic pads on his for better feel. I am sure they wear out faster, but the softer compound should not glaze so easily. Have any of you guys with the squeal tried them?

While I am on here, I use 14/48 with a stock EXC chain with no rub, just flipped the blocks, don't know what the link count on it is on the chain. And my low beam went out at less than 14 hours but my computer still works fine. Haven't checked the fuses or replaced it, just run high beam on the road and no beam on the trail. No night riding so far. If I did, I would be leaning towards the BD lights.
I am pretty much the same. My breaks dont squeel, and I use them a LOT... My front brake will raise the rear wheel at any time.. almost too touchy for me.

I too run a 14/48 without issue. My experience on the 530 was that 48 rear was as high as you can go without another link. I run a 140 - S12 on the rear and can run 15/48 and still have room.

Also ; tell me about aggressive mapping. I put a maping switch on the 530 and didnt notice the difference. Is this the same thing?

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #1589
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
I put a maping switch on the 530 and didnt notice the difference.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #1590
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
My brakes make a god awful squawk too,since new.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote