Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #151
JKL
Rider

Oddometer: 742
I have a 2010 Husaberg FE450 and have had no issues with the FI, minor flame outs were corrected with increasing the idle.
At some point I will add a better fuel filter and check the injector, but meanwhile I will keep flogging it on the trails.
Oh I checked the valves after 80 hours and they were spot on, so really all I do is keep the air filter clean and change the oil and filter every 15 hours and keep riding.
Attached Images

JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #152
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 874
500 EXC Reliability

I've had problems with many of the bikes I have owned in the past. (Anyone here remember Motoplat ignitions and walking out of the woods stranded?) I think various problems just go with dirt bikes. Some are more trouble free than others. My 525 (now a 565) RFS has never failed me and has been far less balky than some 525s. My '09 300 XC-W has killed a plug and that has been it. Newer KTMs are pretty reliable. I suspect the new 500 will be as reliable as my '07 525 continues to be. The numbers of 500s that fail most likely will be pretty small but that probably will be no consolation if you are looking at it trailside after it stops unexpectedly.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #153
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigothic View Post
DOHC vs SOHC The DOHC takes longer to work on. Its like having a Vtwin SOHC, sorta.

DOHC allows the cam to ride above the cam via a bucket shim design without the use of rocker arms for higher RPMs. Less valve lash. Other than that I guess theres no real difference other than to give an engine designer something to do.

I like the 500, SOHC has roller tapets the DOHC does not, DOHC two cams with one or two chains no rollers or SOHC one cam with rollers and one chain. Take your pick . For most people it makes no difference.

SOHC is more DIY friendly: valve adj.

Chime in here somebody.
SHOC=less mass, less ROTATING mass to boot, high up in the bike=better handling

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #154
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I've had problems with many of the bikes I have owned in the past. (Anyone here remember Motoplat ignitions and walking out of the woods stranded?)Stu
Been there and done that Stu, just like you, and not only with old bikes. A 2009 KLX250 that is fuel injected whilst riding down a fire road on tour just up and quit on me. No prior rough running or any hints of going south. Just rolled to a stop. Ended up towing it 40 miles as there was no trailside remedy. Sadly KTM with the 2008 - 2011 four stroke EXC model left a poor taste in quite a few peoples mouths. Not a majority but enough for people like me to bypass that generation and keep my 2006 RFS. Here's hoping they have the FI figured out as it will be looked at with careful eyes by buyers such as I that ride in remote places and a dead bike can be quite serious. The benefits of FI I realize and appreciate, but those advantages I refuse to adopt it if it comes with any unreliability. Motorcycles are vulnerable enough to crash damage, let alone getting hampered by a machines own engineering. Please KTM make sure the FI issorted and troubleshootable when things go awry.

Looking forward to the release of the 500 and seeing peoples experiences.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #155
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,490
What KLX 250 do you get over there, thought they were all still fitted with carbies.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #156
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
I believe kawasaki is assembling its KLX250's here in Thailand. In most of Asia (Japan, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia) the KLX250 is fuel injected now. I have not been impressed with the FI that is used as it is not perfect, takes forever to get the bike lit up which is not good when offroading and taxing the battery a lot. Seeing a handful have their FI fail also has me casting some jaundiced eyes.

Hopefully KTM will have their homework completed.

Also kudos to KTM for keeping the kickstarter, a major weakness from my perspective regarding the Husaberg. I've had multiple DRZ 400's and KLX250's die here in the jungle when the battery was drained after battling all day crashing through difficult off road terrain and no kickstarter to relight the motor.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #157
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #158
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Great video, thanks!
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #159
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Good to know...Why havent you tried the Husky TE FI models??
Well.... in 2008 I looked hard at them. Really liked the modular frame to engine thing. Didn't like the Marzochi/Sachs suspension or the Eye-tailian Engineering. Got screwed hard in 1986 by their first attempt at water cooling.

I started working at a KTM dealer, so....must sample the candy.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #160
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,535
The 350 SX will rev to 12-13k, so it gets dual cams with finger followers to allow this. The 350XC and 350 EXC has the same, but I'm not sure of the rpm limits. This may have a little more friction than the roller rockers. It will not tolerate low-dirty-cheap oil. Adjusting the valves takes a little longer, about like all the other four-stroke mx bikes. Not a difficult job except for aligning the cams again.

The 500 exc (and 450 XC) has a single cam with roller rockers. These are heavy and are limited to lower revs, maybe about 8000 rpm or so. Much lower friction, will tolerate almost no oil, and the oil can be dirtier and cheaper than other designs. Very easy to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigothic View Post
DOHC vs SOHC The DOHC takes longer to work on. Its like having a Vtwin SOHC, sorta.

DOHC allows the cam to ride above the cam via a bucket shim design without the use of rocker arms for higher RPMs. Less valve lash. Other than that I guess theres no real difference other than to give an engine designer something to do.

I like the 500, SOHC has roller tapets the DOHC does not, DOHC two cams with one or two chains no rollers or SOHC one cam with rollers and one chain. Take your pick . For most people it makes no difference.

SOHC is more DIY friendly: valve adj.

Chime in here somebody.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #161
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 886
Thanks Zuber. Very useful information.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #162
The Rizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Do we know for sure that the EXC will be street legal from the factory?
The Rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #163
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
I have heard from a local KTM dealer they will likely be $10K+ out the door, ouch! That's a spendy 510cc dirtbike.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #164
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 874
Street Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rizz View Post
Do we know for sure that the EXC will be street legal from the factory?
You can take that assurance that it will be street legal to the bank. And yes, $10K is a lot of money but the new 500 EXC is one heck of a lot of bike.

Don't forget that the dollar has fallen over 25% against the Euro in the past few years so it takes more cash to buy Euro products. If you are paid in Euros, Swiss Francs or Chinese RMBs you can get it cheaper.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #165
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
There will be a 350EXC and a 500EXC for MY2012. Both will be street-legal from the factory.

The 450EXC has been dropped as people were coming into the dealer to buy it, but mostly left with the 530EXC anyway.
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote