ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #2071
tentative_rider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Oddometer: 35
fuel tank

this has probably been addressed already, and if so, could someone direct me to opinions on the various larger fuel tanks for the 500EXC (mine is 2013 but don't think it makes a difference). Saw KTM makes a little bigger one than stock. I want to make the EXC my primary dual sport (now its an 800GS).
tentative_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #2072
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Delta Ghetto, GA (aka PTC)
Oddometer: 2,159
I got to ride the 500EXC's kissing cousin (XC-W) at a KTM offroad demo day and could not believe what an incredible motor it had. Naturally, my next thought was how much fun you could have on a EXC with supermoto wheels. I'm sure someone has done it by now. Anyone able to post a link to some pix and maybe a hooligan report?
__________________
"Comparison is the thief of joy" - TR (the good Roosevelt)
'08 530EXC
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #2073
Colemanfu
King of all manfu
 
Colemanfu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: DAYTONA USA
Oddometer: 3,687
SSD - yes it is a pure criminal experience. Not much of a report with the pix, just sunrise rip to beat the heat (and the fuzz).

Just wish I lived were the road were less ______________________________________. I have the swap down to less that 30 min but it still spends most it's time in knobbies.
__________________
Guns keep society safe.
Colemanfu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #2074
tentative_rider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Oddometer: 35
tire question

Anyone have advice on tires that have a bit more mileage in them? I ride a mix of gravel and dirt, but on long trips there is always more of the dreaded highway than I would like. I am willing to sacrifice some ultimate performance. Bike currently has the OEM Maxxis SI front and Max Enduro rear. I like the front tires dimensions (80/100/21).
tentative_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #2075
ram350
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 19
heated grips

Looking for a power source for the grips. Behind the headlight there are two open plugs with black/yellow stripe that are keyed power on. Would one of these work, and what were they designed for.
ram350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #2076
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Kalifornia
Oddometer: 7,600


Nope, the screen is held in place by the screw-on outer ring. If that does not move the screens stay in place.

The wiring just keeps the outer ring from un-screwing itself.
__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!
Yellow Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #2077
big adv
I need supervision
 
big adv's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC. CND
Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram350 View Post
Looking for a power source for the grips. Behind the headlight there are two open plugs with black/yellow stripe that are keyed power on. Would one of these work, and what were they designed for.
I've been wondering the same. I metered out those two plugs, and they are keyed, but not battery power. Both had 10volts on them. Im thinking they are for the power switch(ign. map). Going to the dealer today, hoping they have the service manual in stock. Wish the wiring diagrams were in the owners manual as in the past.

On another note, I just got my bike, did the break in ride this weekend, was aware of the fuel line leakage issue, kept looking at the fuel line during my ride, no leaks. Pulled into my driveway, taking helmet off, look back at bike, whats this dripping on ground? Shit, fuel leaking from line. Off to the dealer I go....

The bike rocks by the way, very happy with it.
__________________
BA

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!


big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #2078
ram350
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv View Post
I've been wondering the same. I metered out those two plugs, and they are keyed, but not battery power. Both had 10volts on them. Im thinking they are for the power switch(ign. map). Going to the dealer today, hoping they have the service manual in stock. Wish the wiring diagrams were in the owners manual as in the past.

On another note, I just got my bike, did the break in ride this weekend, was aware of the fuel line leakage issue, kept looking at the fuel line during my ride, no leaks. Pulled into my driveway, taking helmet off, look back at bike, whats this dripping on ground? Shit, fuel leaking from line. Off to the dealer I go....

The bike rocks by the way, very happy with it.
Let me know if you find anything on the wiring. Love my bike too. Went from a nice 300 and have no regrets.
ram350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #2079
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Delta Ghetto, GA (aka PTC)
Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
SSD - yes it is a pure criminal experience. Not much of a report with the pix, just sunrise rip to beat the heat (and the fuzz).

Just wish I lived were the road were less ______________________________________. I have the swap down to less that 30 min but it still spends most it's time in knobbies.
Nice.
__________________
"Comparison is the thief of joy" - TR (the good Roosevelt)
'08 530EXC
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #2080
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cambodia
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentative_rider View Post
this has probably been addressed already, and if so, could someone direct me to opinions on the various larger fuel tanks for the 500EXC (mine is 2013 but don't think it makes a difference). Saw KTM makes a little bigger one than stock. I want to make the EXC my primary dual sport (now its an 800GS).
Clockwork make a 3.1 gal that uses the original radiator shrouds.
The weight distribution of the fuel would be lower than stock, and more central than the other big tanks that hold the extra capacity in the front lobes.
I've ordered a 2013 500 XC-W and at this stage, I like the design concept of the clockwork. Would like to hear from others who've actually tried them.

Fairly good review at following link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1PzmXO-KmE
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #2081
Saltydog86
village idiot
 
Saltydog86's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hinckley/Wheaton Illinois
Oddometer: 1,045
If you have a thermostat DO NOT buy a Clockwork tank! Won't fit.
__________________
12 KTM 350 EXC-F
09 KLR 650
12 Genuine Stella w/Cozy Sidecar
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #2082
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cambodia
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
If you have a thermostat DO NOT buy a Clockwork tank! Won't fit.
Is there a thread/pics that details the thermostat issue ?

Was the problem on a 350 or 500, or wouldn't it make any difference ?
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #2083
ram350
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv View Post
I've been wondering the same. I metered out those two plugs, and they are keyed, but not battery power. Both had 10volts on them. Im thinking they are for the power switch(ign. map). Going to the dealer today, hoping they have the service manual in stock. Wish the wiring diagrams were in the owners manual as in the past.

On another note, I just got my bike, did the break in ride this weekend, was aware of the fuel line leakage issue, kept looking at the fuel line during my ride, no leaks. Pulled into my driveway, taking helmet off, look back at bike, whats this dripping on ground? Shit, fuel leaking from line. Off to the dealer I go....

The bike rocks by the way, very happy with it.
I tried those plugs and they won't work. One kills the motor as soon as you plug in a wire. The other one kills the motor once you turn on the heated grips. Ended up wiring into hot wire on the ignition switch.
ram350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #2084
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 6,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram350 View Post
you turn on the heated grips..
I live in Florida... I have solar heated grips with no wiring. Trick huh?
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #2085
ridethedesert
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
I got to ride the 500EXC's kissing cousin (XC-W) at a KTM offroad demo day and could not believe what an incredible motor it had. Naturally, my next thought was how much fun you could have on a EXC with supermoto wheels. I'm sure someone has done it by now. Anyone able to post a link to some pix and maybe a hooligan report?
Ya went supermoto a couple months back. The motor is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_0vRG1-Dcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSuQ4BZx1n4
ridethedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015