Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #2386
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Heard that some of the aftermarket cush-hubs were having problems with the rubber bumpers not holding up very well.
I would be interested in your source on this. The RAD lugs on the carrier are larger than stock and really compress the rubber. There is less movement than with the stock cush hub. The Haan hub looks very similar. That said, any cush hub would require you to monitor it for excess play and replace the rubbers when that is detected. Failing to do this would invite trouble.

Lukas: there is no distributor at the moment in the US for Haan. There is one in Calgary, Canada but that would involve import taxes for me. No dice. I did check several European distributors as well and none of them have the cush hub on their web sites that I could find so I do not know what the cost is relative to what Woodys charges for the RAD. Woodys built an extremely strong wheel for me and I am very pleased with the service and quality of the build.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #2387
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Bike Preferences

Footdragger: when you said: "People really buy these things to ride on the street? That boggles my mind still. I have a 1200 Triumph for that,seems more comfy and fast somehow. KTM used to have a disclaimer about these bikes,said something about not riding them on the street." and added that you preferred a 1200 for the street It raised my eyebrows. There are lots of different configurations of bikes for the street and they are sold to riders who prefer one sort over another. I do not denigrate your 1200 choice and ask you not to think my choice of the 500 for a street bike (as well as a race bike) as unwarranted. It has the attributes I look for in a bike and light weight is one of them that is at the top of my list.

KTM did say in 2002 of the original 520 that it was not designed to be a dual sport bike and should not be used on the street. Obviously lots of guys did so anyway and I was one of them. KTM's concern may have been a legal one since the bike was not "approved" for street use by our over-zealous bureaucrats with serious authority to slap you with huge fines. Anyway KTM realized that their sales were mostly to the DS market rather than to racers so they changed their story and in 2007 they produced the first street legal 525, the EXC. That clearly implies that KTM gave its corporate blessing to this bike to be used on the street.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep it in top shape for many happy miles of riding. You may not be. That is your choice. I would add that you did not begin riding on British singles. You want HIGH maintenance? Constant breakdowns? Fun rides even at that? Pick up an old Matchless G80 or BSA B50. Brits noted at the time that part of the riding experience was fixing the bike when it broke down. Yea, right. They were not in the middle of nowhere in Grand Staircase Escalante either.

Stu
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #2388
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Footdragger: when you said: "People really buy these things to ride on the street? That boggles my mind still. I have a 1200 Triumph for that,seems more comfy and fast somehow. KTM used to have a disclaimer about these bikes,said something about not riding them on the street." and added that you preferred a 1200 for the street It raised my eyebrows. There are lots of different configurations of bikes for the street and they are sold to riders who prefer one sort over another. I do not denigrate your 1200 choice and ask you not to think my choice of the 500 for a street bike (as well as a race bike) as unwarranted. It has the attributes I look for in a bike and light weight is one of them that is at the top of my list.

KTM did say in 2002 of the original 520 that it was not designed to be a dual sport bike and should not be used on the street. Obviously lots of guys did so anyway and I was one of them. KTM's concern may have been a legal one since the bike was not "approved" for street use by our over-zealous bureaucrats with serious authority to slap you with huge fines. Anyway KTM realized that their sales were mostly to the DS market rather than to racers so they changed their story and in 2007 they produced the first street legal 525, the EXC. That clearly implies that KTM gave its corporate blessing to this bike to be used on the street.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep it in top shape for many happy miles of riding. You may not be. That is your choice. I would add that you did not begin riding on British singles. You want HIGH maintenance? Constant breakdowns? Fun rides even at that? Pick up an old Matchless G80 or BSA B50. Brits noted at the time that part of the riding experience was fixing the bike when it broke down. Yea, right. They were not in the middle of nowhere in Grand Staircase Escalante either.

Stu
I did have a 71 Triumph Tiger,very character building sort of bike,sitting at roadside,watching cars go by,bike pieces laid all over the place,fixing,fixing,fixing. Then ride more and fix more.
Then there was the 850 Norton Roadster,usually couldnt be fixed at roadside and a truck should always be on call.

I think the deal with the 525/450 for road use was the no cush in the clutch or the rear wheel,KTM didnt want to be liable for breakage during on road use.

Like I said,I wonder about using one for road ONLY,but to each their own of course.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #2389
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
I would be interested in your source on this. The RAD lugs on the carrier are larger than stock and really compress the rubber. There is less movement than with the stock cush hub. The Haan hub looks very similar. That said, any cush hub would require you to monitor it for excess play and replace the rubbers when that is detected. Failing to do this would invite trouble.

Lukas: there is no distributor at the moment in the US for Haan. There is one in Calgary, Canada but that would involve import taxes for me. No dice. I did check several European distributors as well and none of them have the cush hub on their web sites that I could find so I do not know what the cost is relative to what Woodys charges for the RAD. Woodys built an extremely strong wheel for me and I am very pleased with the service and quality of the build.

Stu

Stu,

I assume Jesusgatos is talking about the (old) Talon hubs, they used small donut shaped rubber dampers and several people have reported that they wear out very quickly.

However I have just recently heard from somebody with a 500 that bought a set of new Talon supermoto wheels and apparently the rubber dampers on his are pie shaped like the KTM/RAD/Haan ones. So maybe they have now changed to the proven design as well?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #2390
Stu
Buffo Maximus

JD Tuner 6X

I finally got the tuner dialed in. I cut back on the idle, off idle and onto the needle range until the bike started getting mellow (lean). The tendency to flame out is almost completely gone. I can still lock it up on rock ledges at roughly 700~900 RPM if I am incautious. I can certainly recommend the 6X tuner for dialing in the FI mapping.

I am running 15/52 so I am geared higher than most people run. I find this is a very acceptable compromise gearing for riding out to the trails and then zipping around in the dirt.

My 500 is pretty well set up for anything I can throw at it. For more extreme trails I can pop on a 14T.

The 500 possesses physical beauty and allows me to jump and play with a feeling of energy, excitement and (thanks, FTB) gusto. I'm free of the everyday feeling of stupor, clumsy disjunction & the melancholy, laconic and dull ideological baggage that assaults the eye & ear daily.

Bravo, KTM!

Stu
Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #2391
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,894
Quote:
The 500 possesses physical beauty and allows me to jump and play with a feeling of energy, excitement and (thanks, FTB) gusto. I'm free of the everyday feeling of stupor, clumsy disjunction & the melancholy, laconic and dull ideological baggage that assaults the eye & ear daily.

Bravo, KTM!

Stu
Yea! What he said!!!

I grabbed another 75 miles of Forrest Service roads and cobby jeep trails today. That 5hunny is just soooo much fun.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #2392
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Good new and Bad news

Good new is that I finally got my 12 ktm 500 all done with the upgrades i want for now.
Here is the list:
1.HDB handguards and top clamp w/powerlet for phone
2.HDB frt LED blinkers in hand shields& rear LEDs
3.RAM mount for phone and slip grip Holder
4.HDB bar anti vibe inserts.
5.Scotts stabilizer w/BRP rubber dampened sub mount
6.SAR rear fender extension w/led
7.HDB/Tusk slim switch
8.Mountain Engineering clutch/frt brake levers
9.SAR map Switch
10.Blais desmog kit
11.Remap to euro exc(supposedly same as xcw)
12.Thermostat removal
13.Evens waterless coolant and CRT kit
14.Carbon Fiber frt fork guards
15.ROX socks for seal protection
16.Seat Concepts seat
17.Leo Vince full Carbon and TI exhaust system
18.Shorei battery
19.KTM hard parts clutch/ case protector
20.DNA Racing full sumo set up w/320mm frt disc and standard rear disc
21.Shinko 705 tires(good on the street but still work for mild offroad)
22.Golan 10micron fuel filter
23.Clockwork 3.2 gl tank
24.Relocated horn to stock LT blinker location
25.Wolfman e12 saddle bags, tool bag,and duffle bag.
26.Full Jeagermeister graphics kit(not installed yet)
27.Pro Grip rally grips
28. Tubeliss system frt and rear.
29.Motoz Tires Enduro I/T DOT frt and rear
30.KTM hard parts rear disc protector w/carrier(black)
31.Globtrottin skid plate
Just want to say thanks to everyone on this thread, I could not have put this together so well with such great products w/o everyone on here.

cockpit

with bags, tool bag was not on yet or exhaust

another angle

sumo set up

sumo set up w/bags on my way to carson city nv....

Know for the bad news,
This bike has yet to be tipped over or crashed what so ever.but I would keep smelling coolant. Well i finally found the leak.

KTM has agreed to pay for inspection on goodwill , but it may take up to six months if I need a case and it has to go thru KTM Austria on a Goodwill case because my Warranty is up. I had smelled coolant on this bike when it would warm up since I got it but since my CRT release hose was behind my seat I just thought it was because of that. It is a very slow leak just barely drips out the crack at the caseing mark/crack when it is warm, did not find it till my last ride and went to change oil pulled the skid plate off and found coolant, what to do what to do?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #2393
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,182
Heated Grips

Anyone wire in heated grips? I want to wire them in behind the headlight and ensure they only activate with the keyed ignition. Which wires can I tap into?

Rode the beast last weekend in the LBL200 ride in Kentucky. Over 250 miles between two days. Bike was perfectly flawless. Terrain was everything from tons of mud the first morning to a lot of singletrack, paved and gravel roads.
Geared at 14/50 and she did me right. Still run over 70 mph easily on the road. Balancing the wheels with some spoke weights in the front and rear made a world of difference in ride quality.

The Orange Beauty on the left:
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #2394
teambft
teambft

Emailed these guys at System Tech Racing. They make some nice bling for KTMs. They said they would have this case protector below in a few weeks for the 500's.
http://www.systemtechracing.com/category_s/227.htm

Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #2395
teambft
teambft

[QUOTE=Stifdickerson2006;19595290]Good new is that I finally got my 12 ktm 500 all done with the upgrades i want for now.

16.Seat Concepts seat

WOW - NICE. And I thought mine was farkled.

How do you like the Seat Concepts? I had one on a prior bike but never really got a chance to test it much since I sold it soon after. Did you have them do anything unique to it or just went with their recommended version for the 500? Did you install it yourself or had them do it? If yourself, did you use an electric or air powered stapler?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #2396
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=teambft;19596048]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
Good new is that I finally got my 12 ktm 500 all done with the upgrades i want for now.

16.Seat Concepts seat

WOW - NICE. And I thought mine was farkled.

How do you like the Seat Concepts? I had one on a prior bike but never really got a chance to test it much since I sold it soon after. Did you have them do anything unique to it or just went with their recommended version for the 500? Did you install it yourself or had them do it? If yourself, did you use an electric or air powered stapler?
I just went with the recommended seat. I love that seat, At 6'2" and 180lbs I do not have much of an ass and on my other ktms I usually went with a SDG tall soft seat after 100+ miles of riding in a day off road I would be cringing with the thought of sitting down or especially getting on my bike for the second day of the ride and by the third day I would need some liquid courage just to get the nerve up. I rode this one for 3 hrs with just a couple very short stops and it was great. The next day was ready to get back in the saddle for another 3 hr ride home. It would get a little sore after an hr but nothing close to a regular seat. great product and it really works, does not get in the way off road , and never made my ass feel like i got paddled by a 2x4 for hrs on end. I work at a body shop so just had one of our techs staple it on for me at lunch and he used a air powered stapler. It should not cost any more than $20.00 for a local upholstry shop to do it in a day.

Stifdickerson2006 screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 05:42 PM
Stifdickerson2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #2397
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Very nice job on the 500
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #2398
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
Here is the list:
1.HDB handguards and top clamp w/powerlet for phone
2.HDB frt LED blinkers in hand shields& rear LEDs
3.RAM mount for phone and slip grip Holder
4.HDB bar anti vibe inserts.
5.Scotts stabilizer w/BRP rubber dampened sub mount
6.SAR rear fender extension w/led
7.HDB/Tusk slim switch
8.Mountain Engineering clutch/frt brake levers
9.SAR map Switch
10.Blais desmog kit
11.Remap to euro exc(supposedly same as xcw)
12.Thermostat removal
13.Evens waterless coolant and CRT kit
14.Carbon Fiber frt fork guards
15.ROX socks for seal protection
16.Seat Concepts seat
17.Leo Vince full Carbon and TI exhaust system
18.Shorei battery
19.KTM hard parts clutch/ case protector
20.DNA Racing full sumo set up w/320mm frt disc and standard rear disc
21.Shinko 705 tires(good on the street but still work for mild offroad)
22.Golan 10micron fuel filter
23.Clockwork 3.2 gl tank
24.Relocated horn to stock LT blinker location
25.Wolfman e12 saddle bags, tool bag,and duffle bag.
26.Full Jeagermeister graphics kit(not installed yet)
27.Pro Grip rally grips
28. Tubeliss system frt and rear.
29.Motoz Tires Enduro I/T DOT frt and rear
30.KTM hard parts rear disc protector w/carrier(black)
31.Globtrottin skid plate
Just want to say thanks to everyone on this thread, I could not have put this together so well with such great products w/o everyone on here.

cockpit

with bags, tool bag was not on yet or exhaust

another angle

sumo set up

sumo set up w/bags on my way to carson city nv....

Know for the bad news,
This bike has yet to be tipped over or crashed what so ever.but I would keep smelling coolant. Well i finally found the leak.

KTM has agreed to pay for inspection on goodwill , but it may take up to six months if I need a case and it has to go thru KTM Austria on a Goodwill case because my Warranty is up. I had smelled coolant on this bike when it would warm up since I got it but since my CRT release hose was behind my seat I just thought it was because of that. It is a very slow leak just barely drips out the crack at the caseing mark/crack when it is warm, did not find it till my last ride and went to change oil pulled the skid plate off and found coolant, what to do what to do?
Nice selection of mods !

Did you use the thermostat eliminator spacer or remove the unit altogether with the samco hose kit ?

Any problem fitting the Clockworks tank. From what I've read, earlier versions were problematic but issues are supposed to be resolved now ?

Could you provide details for the phone powerlet.

I like the Wolfman rackless mounting for the bags. Do you have a pic that shows where the front strap rests on the seat ?

Bummer re the coolant leak. Hopefully KTM provide a solution that minimizes your downtime. JB weld would probably fix it if you had to do it yourself.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #2399
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldx View Post
Very nice job on the 500

Thank you very much, only down side so far is the leak and I think that KTM will take care of it, I can just hope it is quicker than the 6 months the service writer told me it could be. It is definitely a manufacturer defect. Again I could not have done it without the info and vendors I found on this forum.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #2400
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Nice selection of mods !

Did you use the thermostat eliminator spacer or remove the unit altogether with the samco hose kit ?

Any problem fitting the Clockworks tank. From what I've read, earlier versions were problematic but issues are supposed to be resolved now ?

I like the Wolfman rackless mounting for the bags. Do you have a pic that shows where the front strap rests on the seat ?

Bummer re the coolant leak. Hopefully KTM provide a solution that minimizes your downtime. JB weld would probably fix it if you had to do it yourself.

I bought the 2012 450sx dungey replica rad hose from the T in the frame to the inlet in the LT side, Then I bout some silicon pcv caps I used 3 different sizes one backwards to plug the whole one to cap it and another to cap that one,just to make sure(looks very clean) only cost me $15.00-$20.00 rather than a $100.00+.300 miles from the cali valley where it was 95degrees stop and go to up over the sierras at 80degrees and 8700 ft into nevada 100 degrees stop and go and had no issues the fan has not been on since, At first I did just remove the spring in the housing by grinding out the housing real nice and used the original thermostat outer ring as the spacer to keep it leak free but the tank and still did not fit correctly to i just eliminated it.

The only issue i had with the tank was about a 1/8 inch or less alignment of the tank to the LT side panel (where it meets at the rear of the air shroud) and that was because of the t sta,t with the scorpion rad guards (which are pretty bulky but very strong) the tank just fits. Besides the thermostat issue I just read the directions step by step and had no problem with the install, Just took my time and did it rite. if i had a different style of rad guard or none at all the tank would have fit no problem without removal of the tstat.

The powelet install is very easy it connects to the battery then you buy whatever kind of connector you need for whatever you want to power. Go to Burnsmoto.com they have a pretty good selection(Paul at HDB turned me onto them)..

The rear strap I actually tuck under the rear of the seat and the Frt strap is just forward about 6 in on top of the seat. it does not hamper seat movement. On long rides your looking for different positions on the seat and it was never in the way or obtrusive, obviously with the big bag on top it does hamper you range of movement depending on how much you have in it, I'll get a pic up asap.

If KTM does not come thru I already have a few ideas on how to fix it properly,But im pretty sure they will it is purely a defect in the case.

Stifdickerson2006 screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 12:10 AM Reason: I screwed it up
Stifdickerson2006 is offline   Reply With Quote