ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #2431
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer
 
buelless's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Evans, GA
Oddometer: 267
Thanks for everybody's' feedback on the street ability- wish i could find a dealer that would let me take a ride but the only dealer i found with a 500 was not too keen on that. I usually cruise around 75 mph on the wr when on the inter state but it has little left for passing and even loses a little speed on some steep uphills. I would think the 500 could easily cruise at 75 mph with the right gearing and still have plenty for passing - glad to hear vibration shouldn't be an issue. I know it goes against the norm for inter state travel - and i don't do a lot of it - but when i do i like a light and responsive bike because it provides a lot of feedback, keeps me involved, and i feel more in control. If i wanted to isolate myself i would drive something with 4 wheels...

Thanks again for all the feedback - lots of great info here!!
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #2432
Saltydog86
village idiot
 
Saltydog86's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hinckley/Wheaton Illinois
Oddometer: 1,027
Not a 500, a 350 but same thing for this concept...

Had some leftover sheet vinyl in carbon fiber and a bit of spare time.



__________________
12 KTM 350 EXC-F
09 KLR 650
12 Genuine Stella w/Cozy Sidecar
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #2433
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,818
That's very sporty looking,and ever so much cheaper then buying carbon fiber and then breaking it to bits on the first tumble down a waterfall. Nicely Done!
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #2434
Bartron
Bike Punisher
 
Bartron's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: mid-west-northern Canadia
Oddometer: 692
Ignition delete

Has anyone relocated their ignition or replaced it with a switch?

The current position is a bit vulnerable to branches and errand shrubbery.

BTW. I've got the X-bushing ordered to lower the rear end. The zirk fitting should allow easy lubrication as per their suggestion.
__________________
Ride on.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #2435
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti27 View Post
Its time to change the fork oil on my new 500. Anyone experimented with oil heights?



Thanks!
You can read up on adjusting fork oil levels here: http://www.4strokes.com/tech/ktm/forkoil.asp

For setting the rear shock rebound/ compression read this: http://brucessuspension.com/kb4.htm.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #2436
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron View Post
Has anyone relocated their ignition or replaced it with a switch?

The current position is a bit vulnerable to branches and errand shrubbery.

BTW. I've got the X-bushing ordered to lower the rear end. The zirk fitting should allow easy lubrication as per their suggestion.
I simply eliminated the switch and install the ignition switch eliminator plug. No key.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #2437
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron View Post
Has anyone relocated their ignition or replaced it with a switch?

The current position is a bit vulnerable to branches and errand shrubbery.

BTW. I've got the X-bushing ordered to lower the rear end. The zirk fitting should allow easy lubrication as per their suggestion.
i just ordered a top clamp from paul over at highwaydirtbikes that's modified to support a baja designs ignition switch. i think the oem placement is in a weird location too so i can't wait to get back to the states to hook it all up!
__________________
2012 KTM 500 EXC
NON SEMPER ERIT AESTAS
www.motoex.net


Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #2438
Stu
Buffo Maximus
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern YahooLand
Oddometer: 916
Ignition Switch Re-location

I removed the turn signals, bracket, put on the Sicass turn signals embedded in the plastic protector on my brush busters and just moved the switch inboard and stuck velcro on the switch and fork leg. All lighter than stock and all far more protected. Lots of off road use and no problems.

Buelless: I'm geared 15/52 with my 500. It is kind of buzzy at 75 mph since the top gears are pretty close to one another, as one needs for off road racing / riding. If you plan on long distances on the interstate you will be running this (or any similar 4 stroke) in the upper RPM range and that means more wear. The 500 does this willingly but I'm avoiding this sort of extended riding and I have a Woody's Wheel Works cushioned hub to help with this as well.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #2439
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Harpoonalt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Vermont ....
Oddometer: 262
This goes along with the streetability question. I've been all over the map for my next and probably last bike (still want a trials bike though). I plan to use the bike for pleasure rides mostly. I'm, 6' 2" , 235lbs and at 54, past my boy racer days, but ain't dead yet. I do an hour or 2 at the most rides. Fire roads, gravel, class 4, limited single track and also enjoy runs on some twisty pavement now and then. No long distance, no highway and very rarely more than 10 over the speed limit. Have had a lot of bikes but am thinking for my type of riding a dual sport would fit well. I've had a 650l and liked it but after upgrades it was close to the price of the KTM's. My question is on deciding between the 690 and the 500exc. The only reason I'd go 690 would be for maintenance reasons. I get the increased oil changes and valve checks, but how long can I go before I have to do more than that on the 500? And what kind of costs are we talking? What exactly wears out and what needs replacing and when? I can do oil changes and would learn to do valve checks but past that, it's probably going into the shop. I might do 2000 miles a year 50/50 dirt street and I'm looking for something more fun to ride than the xr650l. Pros and cons of both would be nice.
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #2440
Stu
Buffo Maximus
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern YahooLand
Oddometer: 916
Last LAST Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoonalt View Post
This goes along with the streetability question. I've been all over the map for my next and probably last bike (still want a trials bike though). I plan to use the bike for pleasure rides mostly. I'm, 6' 2" , 235lbs and at 54, past my boy racer days, but ain't dead yet. I do an hour or 2 at the most rides. Fire roads, gravel, class 4, limited single track and also enjoy runs on some twisty pavement now and then. No long distance, no highway and very rarely more than 10 over the speed limit. Have had a lot of bikes but am thinking for my type of riding a dual sport would fit well. I've had a 650l and liked it but after upgrades it was close to the price of the KTM's. My question is on deciding between the 690 and the 500exc. The only reason I'd go 690 would be for maintenance reasons. I get the increased oil changes and valve checks, but how long can I go before I have to do more than that on the 500? And what kind of costs are we talking? What exactly wears out and what needs replacing and when? I can do oil changes and would learn to do valve checks but past that, it's probably going into the shop. I might do 2000 miles a year 50/50 dirt street and I'm looking for something more fun to ride than the xr650l. Pros and cons of both would be nice.
I said that at 54 as well. And there have been lots of bikes since then and now at 72. The "Last Bike" has been quite a sample set. I was at the same decision point as you for very similar reasons in June. I finally decided that the 500 EXC would be the better compromise bike for me than the 690. The maintenance would be similar. That is, the valve clearance on the new 500s just does not change much and doing a valve check is really easy. Swapping out shims is not much more work once you are in there. I pulled my shims out at 3.7 hours just to measure them and see what I might need in the future. I bought a couple from my dealer at about $5 each. (Harley V-Rod shims are cheaper and they are in .001" increments rather than the .002" KTM increments. They both are 10mm diameter shims.) Changing oil has been simplified and made far easier and less messy on this new engine as well. If I rode the 690 where I currently ride the 500 I would have the same maintenance schedule as I give the 500, and I would have less fun.

I'm going to check my valve clearance at about 20 or 30 hours and see if there is any movement as I currently ride, fast, in the woods. Everyone else says they have not had to swap out shims. If I take this bike to Alaska (about 10,000 miles for me) I may just check the valves before I leave and when I return if the current state of non-change continues.

What wears out? Chains & sprockets. Tires. What you crash and break. Anything else is just luck of the mechanical draw, as it would be with any vehicle.

What else needs attention? Air cleaner. Oil changes. Anti-freeze once a year. You can simplify the oil change issue by putting in a Scotts stainless steel filter, which I did. There is now 1.5 liters of oil in this bike compared to 1.2 l in the older engines. This is enough for at least 1,000 miles and possibly more for gravel and paved roads. I'm heading to UT for a week of off road riding at the beginning of Oct. I will change my oil before I go and when I return.

This new engine just is not maintenance intensive. If you race it takes more maintenance. If you don't it does not. Most people see posts from racers and think that their bike needs this kind of attention. Not.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #2441
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Harpoonalt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Vermont ....
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I said that at 54 as well. And there have been lots of bikes since then and now at 72. The "Last Bike" has been quite a sample set. I was at the same decision point as you for very similar reasons in June. I finally decided that the 500 EXC would be the better compromise bike for me than the 690. The maintenance would be similar. That is, the valve clearance on the new 500s just does not change much and doing a valve check is really easy. Swapping out shims is not much more work once you are in there. I pulled my shims out at 3.7 hours just to measure them and see what I might need in the future. I bought a couple from my dealer at about $5 each. (Harley V-Rod shims are cheaper and they are in .001" increments rather than the .002" KTM increments. They both are 10mm diameter shims.) Changing oil has been simplified and made far easier and less messy on this new engine as well. If I rode the 690 where I currently ride the 500 I would have the same maintenance schedule as I give the 500, and I would have less fun.

I'm going to check my valve clearance at about 20 or 30 hours and see if there is any movement as I currently ride, fast, in the woods. Everyone else says they have not had to swap out shims. If I take this bike to Alaska (about 10,000 miles for me) I may just check the valves before I leave and when I return if the current state of non-change continues.

What wears out? Chains & sprockets. Tires. What you crash and break. Anything else is just luck of the mechanical draw, as it would be with any vehicle.

What else needs attention? Air cleaner. Oil changes. Anti-freeze once a year. You can simplify the oil change issue by putting in a Scotts stainless steel filter, which I did. There is now 1.5 liters of oil in this bike compared to 1.2 l in the older engines. This is enough for at least 1,000 miles and possibly more for gravel and paved roads. I'm heading to UT for a week of off road riding at the beginning of Oct. I will change my oil before I go and when I return.

This new engine just is not maintenance intensive. If you race it takes more maintenance. If you don't it does not. Most people see posts from racers and think that their bike needs this kind of attention. Not.

Stu
Thanks Stu,

What you say sounds reasonable. I've read til I'm blue in the face and my head was spinning. Pistons ,hubs, top ends, lather, rinse and repeat. I'm not averse to oil changes and valve checks, but my mechanical skills stop there and it looked to get expensive quick. Glad to hear that's not the case. So when do you start seeing the need to be replacing pistons and such on the 500 or is this part of the myth as well?
And thanks for still riding! I'll be pointing you out to my wife when she tells me I'm too old for another motorcyle!
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #2442
Stu
Buffo Maximus
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern YahooLand
Oddometer: 916
Engine innards

I do not think you will have to worry about refreshing the top end. One guy I ride with has a 450 EXC with 15,000 miles on it. All he has done is chain, sprockets, tires, oil and air filter stuff. He is really fast and rides it hard. I checked with an engine builder in CA regarding the life of the 525 engines. He said with proper maintenance that engine would easily go 35~40,000 miles without teardown, even if it was pumped up to a 565 bore. He sees them blown up with guys run them without oil. Duh. He told me that it would be impossible for me to break one. "You are old and slow." Not entirely true but -- Ouch.

If you race them it is wise to check the top end yearly and mic everything. You don't want to drive 500 miles to a race only to break down. We are not in this rider demographic.

Get one and ride it. Don't worry about it unless you put mostly highway miles on it. Then you need to call Woody's Wheel Works for a cushioned hub.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #2443
harcus
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,314
Durability

Just finished adding another 780 miles (3 days worth) to the 500 EXC for a total of 4247 to date. All is good. Checked the valves - have not moved since 2000 miles ago. This thing handles anything you throw at it - from gnarly single track to rock gardens to high speed desert.

Looking over The Wedge in the San Rafael swell...



Ride report building here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=827503&page=2

BTW...2041 miles on D606 rubber with about 300 more available.

So far, so good...
__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #2444
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Just finished adding another 780 miles (3 days worth) to the 500 EXC for a total of 4247 to date. All is good. Checked the valves - have not moved since 2000 miles ago. This thing handles anything you throw at it - from gnarly single track to rock gardens to high speed desert.

Looking over The Wedge in the San Rafael swell...



Ride report building here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=827503&page=2

BTW...2041 miles on D606 rubber with about 300 more available.

So far, so good...
Really nice pic! That bike looks set up nice. Any idea how much weight as far as luggage on the back? Im pretty amazed that much can go on such a skinny bike.
Im 55 so not at the beginning of my bike buying career,but not near the end,can still hang on with many young squids on their go-fast bikes.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #2445
harcus
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Really nice pic! That bike looks set up nice. Any idea how much weight as far as luggage on the back? Im pretty amazed that much can go on such a skinny bike.
Im 55 so not at the beginning of my bike buying career,but not near the end,can still hang on with many young squids on their go-fast bikes.
That is called the Little Grand Canyon, San Rafael river below.

About 20 lbs fuel n water in Rotopax cans (opposite side) + about 20 in camping gear (clothes, sleeping bag, air mat, bivvy, stove, grub) + about 10 in tools n spare tubes, etc = 50 lbs.

The rear spring is upgraded (Racetech) & the suspension damping retuned. This setup works really well at any speed. Running 13 / 45 gears but they are pretty worn so going to 15 / 52 (same ratio). This ration seems to be a happy medium that works on 98% of the travels. Still provides 70 mph cruise with plenty of top end left for excitement - 85 is still very stable. Some of that is the stability of the D606 rubber.

FWIW...Nor am I at 65.9 YO ...Use it or loose it!
__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014