Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #2446
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post

Buelless: I'm geared 15/52 with my 500. It is kind of buzzy at 75 mph since the top gears are pretty close to one another, as one needs for off road racing / riding. If you plan on long distances on the interstate you will be running this (or any similar 4 stroke) in the upper RPM range and that means more wear. The 500 does this willingly but I'm avoiding this sort of extended riding and I have a Woody's Wheel Works cushioned hub to help with this as well.

Stu
Thanks for the info, Stu. I'm sort of on the fence about the cush hub - has anyone actually damaged their bike because they didn't have one? Or is it more of a comfort issue to prevent too much vibration from getting to the rider? I'd probably average less than 10K miles a year and get another bike after about 3-4 years - is this one going to be trash by then w/o a cush hub?
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #2447
thedesertdalton
www.desertdaltons.nl

Oddometer: 19
Heroes Legend

We are ready for the trip, so are our 500's!

Bye!

Team Desert Daltons
thedesertdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #2448
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by buelless View Post
Thanks for the info, Stu. I'm sort of on the fence about the cush hub - has anyone actually damaged their bike because they didn't have one? Or is it more of a comfort issue to prevent too much vibration from getting to the rider? I'd probably average less than 10K miles a year and get another bike after about 3-4 years - is this one going to be trash by then w/o a cush hub?
This topic gets covered repeatedly in this thread and others, do a search to get all the opinions you could need.

From all the long term reports I have seen, without a cush hub I would expect your countershaft splines to wear out somewhere between 10 and 20k miles in dual sport use. I do know of a Berg 570 (same transmission and clutch) with more than 20k with a good part of it on the street and no wear showing, he is using a cush hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedesertdalton View Post

Bye!

Team Desert Daltons
Bikes are looking great, good luck!

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #2449
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
DesertDaltons,

You guys are looking setup for anything that comes your way.

Good LUck!!!!

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #2450
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,176
Good luck boys!!!!!

Quote:
we are ready for the trip, so are our 500's!

bye!

Team desert daltons
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #2451
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by buelless View Post
One mechanic/engineer chimed in about using moly-anti sieze on those splines,much like a BMW does on its clutch/final drive splines. It does make sense,maybe on many bikes such as DR's that have a tendency to wear the countershaft splines.
My 530 is mainly a dirt bike but I will put some moly paste on the splines when I put a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket on,cant hurt.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #2452
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
That is called the Little Grand Canyon, San Rafael river below.

About 20 lbs fuel n water in Rotopax cans (opposite side) + about 20 in camping gear (clothes, sleeping bag, air mat, bivvy, stove, grub) + about 10 in tools n spare tubes, etc = 50 lbs.

The rear spring is upgraded (Racetech) & the suspension damping retuned. This setup works really well at any speed. Running 13 / 45 gears but they are pretty worn so going to 15 / 52 (same ratio). This ration seems to be a happy medium that works on 98% of the travels. Still provides 70 mph cruise with plenty of top end left for excitement - 85 is still very stable. Some of that is the stability of the D606 rubber.

FWIW...Nor am I at 65.9 YO ...Use it or loose it!
Use it or lose it indeed,I get my mountain bike out every morning possible,1 or 2 hours,maybe a good climb depending on the mood,then singletrack on the 300 once it rains again here,and bombing around the Nevada desert for 4 days at a time when ever the chance permits,I may ride a little more sensibly then I used to,but 40 years of bashing and banging hopefully leads to smoother riding as it goes.
Riding for sure keeps you young! My 2011 530 is the best suspended smoothest running KTM Ive had yet.
Out of about 14 since the late 70's.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #2453
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
Handling

Buelless,

Lukas has the answer. I would opt for the cushioned hub to reduce sprocket wear on the countershaft and reduce shock loads on the transmission needle bearings for your on road use. I thought the $1K+ price for a premium hub / rim / spokes from Woody's was worth it. The first installation is very tight but after that it is OK. I made the radius on the brake side more pronounced with a file on the spacer to facilitate installation.

I was out yesterday in the woods with young bucks on my tail and I was riding at my max in order to keep ahead. On longer straight sections the 500 just blew away their 2 strokes. What really surprised me was how well this 4 stroke handled. The front end sticks. It feels like my '12 300 for lightness and quickness, but obviously with a bit more weight thrown in. I was really pleased with the overall handling. Just magic for a big 4 stroke.

I still have some flame-out issues that I will address today. My throttle position sensor was way off (.584 Vs. .601) and that did help from idle to just open with modest throttle openings. However, bombing around tight turns (think 180 degrees around trees) and whacking the throttle wide open while in 2nd or 3rd gear and I got a POP! and flame-out occasionally. And a front tire bump into my rear tire from a speeding 2 stroke. Fun stuff. But gotta fix this. Any ideas out there? Lukas?

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #2454
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Bye!

Team Desert Daltons
Really REALLY jealous!! Hope you guys take the time for a ride report - should be awesome. Safe trip guys!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #2455
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Buelless,

Lukas has the answer. I would opt for the cushioned hub to reduce sprocket wear on the countershaft and reduce shock loads on the transmission needle bearings for your on road use. I thought the $1K+ price for a premium hub / rim / spokes from Woody's was worth it. The first installation is very tight but after that it is OK. I made the radius on the brake side more pronounced with a file on the spacer to facilitate installation.

I was out yesterday in the woods with young bucks on my tail and I was riding at my max in order to keep ahead. On longer straight sections the 500 just blew away their 2 strokes. What really surprised me was how well this 4 stroke handled. The front end sticks. It feels like my '12 300 for lightness and quickness, but obviously with a bit more weight thrown in. I was really pleased with the overall handling. Just magic for a big 4 stroke.

I still have some flame-out issues that I will address today. My throttle position sensor was way off (.584 Vs. .601) and that did help from idle to just open with modest throttle openings. However, bombing around tight turns (think 180 degrees around trees) and whacking the throttle wide open while in 2nd or 3rd gear and I got a POP! and flame-out occasionally. And a front tire bump into my rear tire from a speeding 2 stroke. Fun stuff. But gotta fix this. Any ideas out there? Lukas?

Stu
Thanks again Stu. Will read up on the cush drive option, would like to have a warm fuzzy before i pull the trigger on a $1K mod.

Regarding the flame out -maybe an auto clutch, might keep the revs above the flame out rpm. Anybody try one on this bike yet?

buelless screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 06:03 PM
Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #2456
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer

Cush Drives???

"The cush drive was invented by Royal Enfield in 1912[1] for use on their 425cc V-twin.[2]" (Wikipedia)

One side of the argument...

http://motostrano.blogspot.com/2009/...to-wheels.html

and the other...

http://motard-supermoto-wheels.sport...-supermoto.htm

I'm still riding the fence on this. Surprised I couldn't find one post that mentioned damage because they didn't have a cush drive, but lots of posts about worn out or failing cush drive components.

I'm gonna leave this alone now and quit interrupting this thread. Apologize for the hijack, really appreciate all the great info.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #2457
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
Cush Drive

Engineering is all about trade-offs. What are you willing to give up for what perceived benefit? For me splitting the engine and replacing needle bearings or counter shaft sprockets is worth the cush hub.

Flame-outs: I finally set the JD Tuner to KTM stock (all 3s). The bike ran great. No flame outs. No stalling. Try as I might I could not get the bike to die on radical corners or dragging it down to 500 RPM and then whipping the throttle wide open. KTM's engineers did a great job with the competition only map with the Akrapovic exhaust, the map ending in 0701. I am going to leave the JD Tuner on to see if I can get more performance out of this motor, just like stuffing it with VP race fuel. I will post results.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #2458
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Engineering is all about trade-offs. What are you willing to give up for what perceived benefit? For me splitting the engine and replacing needle bearings or counter shaft sprockets is worth the cush hub.

Flame-outs: I finally set the JD Tuner to KTM stock (all 3s). The bike ran great. No flame outs. No stalling. Try as I might I could not get the bike to die on radical corners or dragging it down to 500 RPM and then whipping the throttle wide open. KTM's engineers did a great job with the competition only map with the Akrapovic exhaust, the map ending in 0701. I am going to leave the JD Tuner on to see if I can get more performance out of this motor, just like stuffing it with VP race fuel. I will post results.

Stu
So, with the re-map and pipe you do not need the tuner? Seem to me that the tuner is much cheaper than the aftermarket pipe. Compare the two. Bike with tuner vs bike with re-map and pipe.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #2459
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,176
JD Tuner settings - advice?

Original owner had already installed the JD Tuner, ignition switch, desmogged it and installed an FMF pipe on the bike before I bought it. Bike is geared 14/50.
Its been starting and running quite good.
Just wanted to get some advice on MPG.

This past Saturday did some pretty hardcore riding - pretty heavy on the throttle...type of riding at the low end of the MPG spectrum.
It got about 38mpg after the first 50 miles. Seem normal?
Should I try some different settings on the JD Tuner? Its set to the JD stock settings currently. Should I lean it out some or does the MPG seem about right? Just curious if anyone else has tried different modes before I start messing with it.
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #2460
Riding4fun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambft View Post
Original owner had already installed the JD Tuner, ignition switch, desmogged it and installed an FMF pipe on the bike before I bought it. Bike is geared 14/50.
Its been starting and running quite good.
Just wanted to get some advice on MPG.
Hi - did the bike still poses the trait of pulling it's self up from 500-RPM with no-stalls, before you applied the map / exhaust?
Riding4fun is offline   Reply With Quote