User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #2461
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,195
Thanks for the reply.

Bike pulls itself up with no stalls, yes. No popping either.

I havent touched the mapping before or after....got the bike with pipe and map settings already complete. PO said tuner is currently set at JD settings.

I was reading up on JD's site - a little confusing. I may be just overthinking all of it. Runs real nice....I just want it "optimized"....performance and MPG.

And I feel as though I'm just not there yet. I guess I need to try some settings and ride it....it looks as though I can try some halfway increments in the mid range and try leaning in small amounts to see affect. JD has several dynocharts on their site...I may just email them as well for some advice.

Does 38mpg seem poor for this bike...keeping in mind a very happy wrist twist??
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #2462
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
JD Tuner Variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
So, with the re-map and pipe you do not need the tuner? Seem to me that the tuner is much cheaper than the aftermarket pipe. Compare the two. Bike with tuner vs bike with re-map and pipe.

I think the JD Tuner probably works quite well with the stock ignition / jetting map (ending in 0601). Reports in this thread indicate that. If you put on an aftermarket pipe the JD Tuner can be used to richen it in the range it needs to compensate for the different muffler volume and flow.

If you do as I did and change to the competition only map, the one ending in 0701, then the mapping accounts for the aftermarket muffler. My experience with this map compared to the stock map is that it is dramatically different and definitely performance oriented. It is Da Bomb. The JD Tuner apparently is not set up for this map. When I turned the JD Tuner off (setting all values to 3) the bike rocked everywhere. I do not think the tuner is needed if you install this map.

Personally I think it is probably preferable to stay with the stock map and just add the JD Tuner. You have a more tractable beast than the crazy fast one that mine is. If you ride mud and slick logs you might really prefer the stock set up and the tuner.

I'm staying with the competition map and keeping the tuner. I want to see if I can enhance the performance by throwing more fuel at the combustion chamber where it can burn it effectively.

BTW, I am probably getting close to 50 MPG ripping around in the woods with this set up. It just sips fuel. What a bike!

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #2463
Stu
Buffo Maximus

JD Jetting

I just heard from James at JD Jetting regarding my comments about his tuner and my competition map that I emailed to him. He concurred. He also made some suggestions for further tuning the jetting with this new map for better racing performance. I'll be heading out and trying these suggestions at the local hare scrambles track.

James and his company just are the best. You run into difficulty and they give you fast responses for things to try. You do the unexpected (a new map) and they still give you ideas to enhance performance for racing. My helmet is off to these guys!

Stu
Old 09-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #2464
Willi-P
Just a man.

Oddometer: 706
What the heck is this?

Just picked up my new 2013 500 EXC on Saturday. Hooray for me!

Anyway, I got a little zip lock bag containing 3 parts and I don't know what the heck they're for.

The three things in the baggie are...(1) an o-ring, (2) a rubber cap (the kind of thing you'd slip over the end of a vacuum hose or something to cap it off), and (3) a little hard plastic plug lookning thing that looks like you might slip down into a hose to seal it off. The o-ring looks like it might fit on the plug thingy.

Can somebody tell me what to do with this stuff?
Willi-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #2465
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi-P View Post
Just picked up my new 2013 500 EXC on Saturday. Hooray for me!

Anyway, I got a little zip lock bag containing 3 parts and I don't know what the heck they're for.

The three things in the baggie are...(1) an o-ring, (2) a rubber cap (the kind of thing you'd slip over the end of a vacuum hose or something to cap it off), and (3) a little hard plastic plug lookning thing that looks like you might slip down into a hose to seal it off. The o-ring looks like it might fit on the plug thingy.

Can somebody tell me what to do with this stuff?
Plugs to keep the F.I. quick release clean when you have the tank off.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #2466
Willi-P
Just a man.

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
Plugs to keep the F.I. quick release clean when you have the tank off.
Thank you.

Now I see it's right there in the owners manual under "Removing the fuel tank." RTFM
Willi-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #2467
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I think the JD Tuner probably works quite well with the stock ignition / jetting map (ending in 0601). Reports in this thread indicate that. If you put on an aftermarket pipe the JD Tuner can be used to richen it in the range it needs to compensate for the different muffler volume and flow.

If you do as I did and change to the competition only map, the one ending in 0701, then the mapping accounts for the aftermarket muffler. My experience with this map compared to the stock map is that it is dramatically different and definitely performance oriented. It is Da Bomb. The JD Tuner apparently is not set up for this map. When I turned the JD Tuner off (setting all values to 3) the bike rocked everywhere. I do not think the tuner is needed if you install this map.

Personally I think it is probably preferable to stay with the stock map and just add the JD Tuner. You have a more tractable beast than the crazy fast one that mine is. If you ride mud and slick logs you might really prefer the stock set up and the tuner.

I'm staying with the competition map and keeping the tuner. I want to see if I can enhance the performance by throwing more fuel at the combustion chamber where it can burn it effectively.

BTW, I am probably getting close to 50 MPG ripping around in the woods with this set up. It just sips fuel. What a bike!

Stu

Stu,

I found that with the 0701 map without the JD tuner (all settings to 3), I still had the occasional flame out. Put the JD back at the recommended settings and no flame outs. Will be interested in hearing more details on your discussions with JD and the results of your trials. Keep us posted.

Thanks.

Clay
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #2468
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:

Stu
What happened to the supposed lock on the EXC ECU that prevented you from re-mapping? I have read several threads that say you can load the re-map and when you start the bike the ECU reverts to the factory map. Has anyone managed to separate truth from fiction? I have been waiting on the fence on what to do between re-mapping, JD controller and pipe. Looking for a definitive source and answer. Can anyone out there clear the air?
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #2469
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Maps

AussieClay,

There are three 0701 maps that I know of: EU, AUS & US. They may differ. I installed the US version. Which do you have? I definitely have a bike that responds well now with the JD Tuner set to all 3s. We are having thunderstorms now so I cannot check other settings. I think there is definitely room for improvement with the tuner. More later..

AVconnect,

You are essentially burning software into ROM. It matters little what others say about the map being locked and maps reverting. The stock map cannot be changed by external remapping. You can burn a new map on the chip. If the burn does not take you have hardware problems. Dealers are reluctant to change maps since the new map has not been approved by bureaucrats. I suppose if you showed up at you dealer's service door with MX tires installed and the lights off and said you were going to only race this bike they might re-map it for you, if you have previously been given other stories by your dealer.

Stu
Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #2470
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,973
maps and such

I dont want to sound like a commerical here but I installed a JD Turner (kept settings they recommended - in other words just installed it) and I am hard pressed to find anything wrong with my scoot NOW. No flame out anywhere... no lean pops or any other problem that I can see or feel.... well except instant throttle means instant wheel spin ( l live in deep sand remember).

The bike just runs clean and crisp. Not sure what mapping will offer over what I have.

The JD turner was money well spent IMHO...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #2471
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
AussieClay,

There are three 0701 maps that I know of: EU, AUS & US. They may differ. I installed the US version. Which do you have? I definitely have a bike that responds well now with the JD Tuner set to all 3s. We are having thunderstorms now so I cannot check other settings. I think there is definitely room for improvement with the tuner. More later..

AVconnect,

You are essentially burning software into ROM. It matters little what others say about the map being locked and maps reverting. The stock map cannot be changed by external remapping. You can burn a new map on the chip. If the burn does not take you have hardware problems. Dealers are reluctant to change maps since the new map has not been approved by bureaucrats. I suppose if you showed up at you dealer's service door with MX tires installed and the lights off and said you were going to only race this bike they might re-map it for you, if you have previously been given other stories by your dealer.

Stu
Stu: if you burn a new map and the original map remains which one does the bike use? How do you choose?
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #2472
hoss314
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I picked up the 13 liter tank

Looking for a tank like this in BLACK.....anybody run across one?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #2473
ram350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
fuel line replacement

To those who are using automotive fuel line replacement and worrying about the line kinking. The solution is to go to the hardware store and find a spring that fits tightly ove the hose where it bends. With the spring on, there is no way that the hose will kink.
ram350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #2474
Stein4
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Received my handguards from Highway Dirtbikes and came across the clutch cable issue of rubbing against the left swivel; just woundering if anyone has come up with a good solution? Thought about changing the light switch to the Highway Dirtbike swith or the sicass one; has anyone tried this and did it work? Thanks
Stein4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #2475
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
Stu: if you burn a new map and the original map remains which one does the bike use? How do you choose?
You are overwriting the original file.

Stu