User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #3346
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 799
You'll be fine

I did the TAT last year on a DRZ400 and I met inmate Backlash on the last day on his '13 500EXC. He did the entire trip and changed the oil a few times. No big thing. Three drain plugs (all 13mm), easy air filter access.

I bought his EXC a few weeks ago and maintenance isn't a big deal.

Go for it! This bike is special.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #3347
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
Its 35NM or 25.8 Ft Lbs according to the 2012 500EXC owners manual. Don't over do it.The Loctite holds it just fine. The bolt just keeps the sprocket from falling off. My Husky used a circlip to do the same thing.
Got it wrong, the correct torque is 44NM for the sprocket bolt. The rest of what I said still applies.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #3348
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
if you look below my pic in the above thread you will see the word HERE that is a link to golan directly. you want then 5/16 barbed supermini and about a 12 in section of new fuel line then tank the elbow shaped line off of the FWd fuel quick disconnecta and cut all but the bend then rrattach the quickdisconnect and then take the line off the Fi unit and replaxce wiht the new length of fuel line above. the decied how long you want it then reattached the quick disconnect. Dont forget to remove the fuel fiilter cone fromthe FI unit.

Quick question. What is the 90 degree plastic elbow to the right of the above Golan?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #3349
Notaduke
Migration to offroad

Oddometer: 36
Impact of lost spark arrestor screen

I just lost my first screen...should have read this thread earlier!

It certainly makes a difference in the sound, but I also noticed a simultaneous and considerable increase in backfire upon decel. Is that typical when you lose the screen?

Bike has 6 hrs on it, and backfired a small amount up until the change in exhaust note, which I am attributing to the lost screen, although I don't know if the screen departed at exactly the same time as the exhaust note changed. The backfire now also occurs slightly when closing throttle to shift up.

I can't get a replacement part for a week or so. Is it dangerous for the engine to run it with that much backfire? Is there another possible cause for sudden change in exhaust note and increase in backfire. This occured while accelerating hard up a hill, coming out of a turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
The screen on the end of the pipe has nothing to do with the spark arresting capibilities of the pipe.

That screen is there to cut down on sound.

WRONG!! - The stock ktm mufler uses a Krizman type turbine spark arrestor.

WRONG!! - Look at the side of the muffler that's inside the rear wheel well.

Notaduke screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 02:35 PM
Notaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #3350
SJktmRider
USMC Veteran

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Quick question. What is the 90 degree plastic elbow to the right of the above Golan?
That's the stock 2012 500 fuel disconnect. I bought the '13 connector because it allows you to easily change the 20 micron fuel filter. And it was only 12$
SJktmRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #3351
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notaduke View Post
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom
The screen on the end of the pipe has nothing to do with the spark arresting capibilities of the pipe.

That screen is there to cut down on sound.

WRONG!! - The stock ktm mufler uses a Krizman type turbine spark arrestor.

WRONG!! - Look at the side of the muffler that's inside the rear wheel well.
Im super confused about whats being said here. The external screen is part of the spark arrestor? That screen knocks the bike down to moped status, no way it's going back on my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJktmRider View Post
That's the stock 2012 500 fuel disconnect. I bought the '13 connector because it allows you to easily change the 20 micron fuel filter. And it was only 12$
Im not trying to tell anyone how to do anything but wouldnt you want that filter down stream of the quick disconnect? Whenever I take the tank off even after taking extra care to clean that area Im super aware that Im opening the fuel system and I always find some dirt directly on that fitting. Guess Im going to learn my lesson the hard way because Im leaving the stock filter system. Ive replaced the filter once already which hasnt been much trouble to do during a valve check when the tank is off.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #3352
SJktmRider
USMC Veteran

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
Im super confused about whats being said here. The external screen is part of the spark arrestor? That screen knocks the bike down to moped status, no way it's going back on my bike.

Im not trying to tell anyone how to do anything but wouldnt you want that filter down stream of the quick disconnect? Whenever I take the tank off even after taking extra care to clean that area Im super aware that Im opening the fuel system and I always find some dirt directly on that fitting. Guess Im going to learn my lesson the hard way because Im leaving the stock filter system. Ive replaced the filter once already which hasnt been much trouble to do during a valve check when the tank is off.
When you have the '13 setup the filter is on the side that goes to the fuel rail so it's downstream. And when you disconnect the line it stays in.
SJktmRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #3353
Notaduke
Migration to offroad

What am I missing?

Miraculously, I returned to where I recall detecting the change in exhaust note to search for the screen/screw retainer, and actually found both!

I suspect there must be something missing still, although I have both parts, since the the diameter of the screen (shaped like a bottle cap) is considerably smaller than the screw retainer. Does the proper screen have some sort of ring that the perforated bottle cap attaches to?

Hopefully I finally figured out how to post a picture image!

Quote:
I just lost my first screen...should have read this thread earlier!

It certainly makes a difference in the sound, but I also noticed a simultaneous and considerable increase in backfire upon decel. Is that typical when you lose the screen?

Bike has 6 hrs on it, and backfired a small amount up until the change in exhaust note, which I am attributing to the lost screen, although I don't know if the screen departed at exactly the same time as the exhaust note changed. The backfire now also occurs slightly when closing throttle to shift up.

I can't get a replacement part for a week or so. Is it dangerous for the engine to run it with that much backfire? Is there another possible cause for sudden change in exhaust note and increase in backfire. This occured while accelerating hard up a hill, coming out of a turn.

Notaduke screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 05:40 PM Reason: image posting problems
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #3354
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Miraculously, I returned to where I recall detecting the change in exhaust note to search for the screen/screw retainer, and actually found both!

I suspect there must be something missing still, although I have both parts, since the the diameter of the screen (shaped like a bottle cap) is considerably smaller than the screw retainer. Does the proper screen have some sort of ring that the perforated bottle cap attaches to?

Hopefully I finally figured out how to post a picture image!

If the picture you posted is your screen then you only found half of the screen. The other half has the flange on it. It must have come apart when it fell out. The two screens are pressed together. My daughter says it looks like a pie pan with a pie in it, when it's in one piece.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #3355
Notaduke
Migration to offroad

Great, thanks. That solves that part of the puzzle, although this pie pan with a pie in it seems like a pretty bizarre piece of engineering.

I guess I can't say with 100% certainty until I get a new screen installed, but it seems to me that losing that screen has an amazingly big impact on the backfire situation. Must be right on the edge with it installed.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #3356
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Great, thanks. That solves that part of the puzzle, although this pie pan with a pie in it seems like a pretty bizarre piece of engineering.

I guess I can't say with 100% certainty until I get a new screen installed, but it seems to me that losing that screen has an amazingly big impact on the backfire situation. Must be right on the edge with it installed.
Do you have the unrestricted Euro map installed? It should run perfectly with almost no backfire with the screen out, as long as you have that map installed in the ECU.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #3357
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Does this alway happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Do you have the unrestricted Euro map installed? It should run perfectly with almost no backfire with the screen out, as long as you have that map installed in the ECU.
With the removable screen ("choke screen) removed - does it always have a back fire problem if you have the stock map?
This might be the answer to a question I asked a while back. I was trying to figure out how to make sure I had the Euro map installed.
TIA

Unkgd screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 07:25 AM
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #3358
boostracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Screen is removed from mine & I have Euro map with switch & blocked SAS, etc. It doesn't backfire now on decel.
boostracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #3359
charlie27
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:

I think with stock FI it will run leaner which will make the back fire worst w/o screen - I read that. With JD tuner screen can be removed. From what I understand that (screen) is not part of the spark arrestor.
charlie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #3360
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostracer View Post
Screen is removed from mine & I have Euro map with switch & blocked SAS, etc. It doesn't backfire now on decel.

Exact same experience here as Boostracer.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote