Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #3361
boostracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJktmRider View Post
When you have the '13 setup the filter is on the side that goes to the fuel rail so it's downstream. And when you disconnect the line it stays in.
That's how I installed my Golan, in the vertical after the disconnect.
boostracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #3362
boostracer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie27 View Post
From what I understand that (screen) is not part of the spark arrestor.
Correct, I've had mine apart, they have a round tube screen inside.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #3363
Notaduke
Migration to offroad

Oddometer: 36
Thanks again ...

I haven't yet got the various things needed to fine tune, or even identify the map...its bone stock right now and in Canada I would be surprised if they loaded the unrestricted Euro map, so that all seems consistent with people's comments.
Will pick up a JD tuner after I get the gearing sorted. I've never done single track before, and had it out on the weekend for the first time, with the stock gearing. Was absolutely amazed how easy it was to work through some non-trivial (to me) stuff, but would definitely have been better off with lower gearing.
Notaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #3364
GS eh!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Screen

Hey notaduke, my screen fell out as well on the first ride, i also found it. It is not part of the spark arrester, but it is for reducing the noise of the bike. It leans the bike out even further once it falls out, so it will pop more. I have installed the JD tuner and it definitely helps with the performance of the bike, but has not stopped it altogether.

I will be taking the bike to Holeshot to get the unrestricted euro map from the XC-W installed (I think the exc and xc-w unrestricted maps are the same??) I will also get the TPS settings checked.

It seems a lot of guys are skipping the JD and just remapping, the JD might be good if you change the exhaust as well?? and need to add more fuel.

I am waiting for some more bits to arrive so i can finish the bike and get it out to the dealer.

Regards,

Richard
GS eh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #3365
Notaduke
Migration to offroad

Oddometer: 36
Maps/Tuner

Richard, thanks, and good to hear from a local with the same bike. I have to learn more about options with tuning vs maps on the KTM. I'm familiar with Powercommanders and Trimming programs on my streetbikes, but it sounds like this JD tuner is something a bit different. I'm not likely to change the exhaust in the short term, but would like to have it run a bit richer in more-or-less stock form. Sounds like the unrestricted map is worth looking into.

Regards,
Jeff
Notaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #3366
dentguy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Remapping

Can somebody please tell me if or what shop in Southern California will re-map my ecu? I've called a few shops and they said CARB will fine them if they get caught doing the mod. I called a shop in LasVegas and they said bring it down, no problem. Wtf CA? PM me so the CARB nazis don't find out. Thanks - D
dentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #3367
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Schematic ?

I have a new XC-W and would like to find or buy a copy of the schematic. Asking here because the EXC should be very close with a few additional parts. Any ideas wher I can find this or possibly other fuel injected KTM's with similar schematic?
By the way, I don't have any specific electrical issues, just want to be prepared for when I do.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #3368
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notaduke View Post
Great, thanks. That solves that part of the puzzle, although this pie pan with a pie in it seems like a pretty bizarre piece of engineering.

I guess I can't say with 100% certainty until I get a new screen installed, but it seems to me that losing that screen has an amazingly big impact on the backfire situation. Must be right on the edge with it installed.
If you still have the smog equipment on then you have to drain the charcoal canister. What happens is the canister fills up with gas from the vent tube when you tip the bike over. It backfires because the gas in the canister flows into the exhaust instead of just the fumes. The exhaust screen makes extra back pressure which reduces the flow.
You can drain it by removing the plug from the tube that comes out underneath the bike.
Way back in this thread there are instructions on how to remove the smog equipment for test purposes only:)

Bengt Phorks screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 11:53 AM
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #3369
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgyver View Post
grease on splines

Does it say that in the manual? That seams to me like it could only cause trouble. The pressure between the sprocket and the CS would push out any grease and it would attract dirt to the area around the seal, possibly causing it to fail.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #3370
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
2012 500EXC and 2013 500EXC Flame Outs

I have both a 2012 and 2013 500EXC.

I fixed the 2012 flame out problem by installing the Euro Map. Smog removed and an FMF slip on installed.

My local KTM mechanic said he thought it was a bad idea to mess with the TPS. He is a chief mechanic for a sport bike racing team. My flame out was fixed once the Euro Map was installed.

When I bought my 2013 500EXC, I was told KTM had fixed the flame out problem with the 2013 stock KTM MAP. Not true. I have de-smoged and removed the screen from the end of the stock slip on muffler. Back firing was fixed with the de-smog but I have some minor flame out issues.

If I install the Euro Map for the 2013 500EXC, which I believe is a different MAP number then and MAP for the 2012 EXC, will that fix my flame out problem? Would like to know if anyone has done this.

My 2012 500EXC runs perfect after the Euro Map was installed. It cost me $45.00 to have it done and I see no need for a tuner.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #3371
bmgyver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
Does it say that in the manual? That seams to me like it could only cause trouble. The pressure between the sprocket and the CS would push out any grease and it would attract dirt to the area around the seal, possibly causing it to fail.
Light greasing of the splines is to prevent the the splines on the countershaft from degrading over the life of the bike. Extra grease tends to go into the void behind the domed washer. In 75,000 miles over 3 ktm 4strokes I have never had a countershaft seal fail.
bmgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #3372
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
If you still have the smog equipment on then you have to drain the charcoal canister. What happens is the canister fills up with gas from the vent tube when you tip the bike over. It backfires because the gas in the canister flows into the exhaust instead of just the fumes. The exhaust screen makes extra back pressure which reduces the flow.
You can drain it by removing the plug from the tube that comes out underneath the bike.
Way back in this thread there are instructions on how to remove the smog equipment for test purposes only:)
Close, but the fuel from the canister is sucked into the intake.

The other emissions hose allows air into the exhaust, this is just like a huge exhaust leak and ignites the rich exhaust fumes. This makes the popping noise.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #3373
boostracer
Adventurer

[QUOTE=2on2off;20819919]

If I install the Euro Map for the 2013 500EXC, which I believe is a different MAP number then and MAP for the 2012 EXC, will that fix my flame out problem? Would like to know if anyone has done this.

QUOTE]

I had the Euro done on mine & it fixed it, runs great!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #3374
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Close, but the fuel from the canister is sucked into the intake.

The other emissions hose allows air into the exhaust, this is just like a huge exhaust leak and ignites the rich exhaust fumes. This makes the popping noise.
Right, but drain the canister to stop the popping.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #3375
Harley Beemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
[QUOTE=boostracer;20820556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post

QUOTE]

I had the Euro done on mine & it fixed it, runs great!
Does the EU map work okay with the stock muffler once you remove the end screen?

Or are more mods required?