Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #3391
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,245
2 500's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngads View Post
This may seem like an insane question but why do you have a 2012 and a '13? Arent they the same minus some graphics changes
Yes they are just about identical except for a few minor differences. I ride one and my son rides the other one.

I had two DRZ400S's we were riding and my son does better on a lighter bike so a year ago I sold one of the DRZ's and bought the 2012 500, my first KTM purchase.

I wanted to see if I liked it and how reliable it would be. After trading the two bikes back and forth with my son, so we could both compare the DRZ to the KTM, I decided the KTM was a keeper and then sold the other DRZ last fall and bought a second 500EXC. The DRZ and KTM are very different bikes and I like both of them but since I can't have both, I settled on the KTM.

So far I'm very happy with this particular model and have done a variety of dual sport rides on the 500.

I have been riding with my son for 21 years now, he started on a PW50 at age 5, and we have logged a lot of miles through the years and I still enjoy riding with him.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #3392
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
so what are the items in the bag -SAS plug and kick stand bolt
what are other small bolts and washers and the other plug?
I'm not sure, I don't recall using them.... They gotta be for something....but' I dunno.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #3393
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
I have been riding with my son for 21 years now, he started on a PW50 at age 5, and we have logged a lot of miles through the years and I still enjoy riding with him.
This is a great father-son relationship! I wish I had been able to do this with my dad
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #3394
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
new bike

OK got off the plane from Thailand to land in So-Cal and finally get a look at the 500 and take it round for a spin. Not 15 minutes later i was already pulled over by LEO. Jeez "Toto we're not in Kansas anymore" was going through my head as I got pulled for something that would not even deserve a glance overseas. Wish I had a camera on me to take a pic and send back to my mates in Thailand.

Anyway back to the bike, so I'm in the midst of a desmog and Golan filter install and came across the lustrous OEM FI hose clamps. Holy shit are these a pain in the arse. Has anyone figured out a way to undo the damn things? I want to retain a curve in the OEM fuel line so don't want to cut the clamp off. Are these clamps removable?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #3395
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Ok, still going round and round on my next bike. Originally another xr650l, but. I am 54 headed to 55 and said "shit! , get a bike you really want" I thought F800gs, then "nah, too heavy, too much money and My longest rides will be a couple of hours at most" , so it's now down to 690 vs 500. Sat on a 500 and impressed with the quality feel of everything and it's weight. Frontrunner as of now. I can do the maintenance and learn to do valve checks. My qestion is what major engine work needs to be done and when? And what kind of costs are we talking. My mechanical ability ends at checking valves and even that makes me nervous, but I'll learn. I do 1 or 2 hour fun rides of twisty pavement, dirt roads and limited single track. I hear stories then hear of large amounts of miles with no problems. I'll pay to play but just how much?
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #3396
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
OK got off the plane from Thailand to land in So-Cal and finally get a look at the 500 and take it round for a spin. Not 15 minutes later i was already pulled over by LEO. Jeez "Toto we're not in Kansas anymore" was going through my head as I got pulled for something that would not even deserve a glance overseas. Wish I had a camera on me to take a pic and send back to my mates in Thailand.

Anyway back to the bike, so I'm in the midst of a desmog and Golan filter install and came across the lustrous OEM FI hose clamps. Holy shit are these a pain in the arse. Has anyone figured out a way to undo the damn things? I want to retain a curve in the OEM fuel line so don't want to cut the clamp off. Are these clamps removable?
FTB
Those little tangs that lock the clamp can be filed down flush. You can then get a thin screwdriver or similar between where the clamp folds over itself and pry it open.
Btw, with the Acerbis 3 gal install, I didnt cut the oem hoses to fit the Golan. I simply added a 40mm length of FI hose between the QR and Golan. Also added some protective sheath to the oem hose between the golan and the throttle body as this was rubbing in several areas prior to any modifications.

bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #3397
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoonalt View Post
Ok, still going round and round on my next bike. Originally another xr650l, but. I am 54 headed to 55 and said "shit! , get a bike you really want" I thought F800gs, then "nah, too heavy, too much money and My longest rides will be a couple of hours at most" , so it's now down to 690 vs 500. Sat on a 500 and impressed with the quality feel of everything and it's weight. Frontrunner as of now. I can do the maintenance and learn to do valve checks. My qestion is what major engine work needs to be done and when? And what kind of costs are we talking. My mechanical ability ends at checking valves and even that makes me nervous, but I'll learn. I do 1 or 2 hour fun rides of twisty pavement, dirt roads and limited single track. I hear stories then hear of large amounts of miles with no problems. I'll pay to play but just how much?
From what you are describing, especially 2 hour fun rides on pavement and limited single track, I would suggest the 690 because it comes with a cush hub to protect the drive chain from all that traction you will be getting on blacktop.

I asked my dealer, who is also an avid rider, about putting a cush hub on my 500. He asked if was going to turn it into a Super Moto and I said no and that I would be leaving knobbies on the bike. He said it wouldn't need a cush hub.

If I planned to do primarily black top and only limited dirt with my 500, I would put a cush hub on my 500 anyway just to be on the safe side, but then again, I think the 690 is more suited for this kind of riding as I believe it is a beefier setup for pavement.

I probably ride 70% dirt with my 500 and some very technical single track and rocks, so I like the light weight of the 500.

All that being said, I have a friend with a 690 who can ride it off road much better than I can ride my 500 off road. It may just come down to your skill level.

The 690 and 500 are both very good bikes and very different.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #3398
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
so what are the items in the bag -SAS plug and kick stand bolt
what are other small bolts and washers and the other plug?
The small bolts and the washers are for the battery, but the battery includes them. I think the other plug is for removing the fan switch on the radiator.

This kit came with the early bikes, to 'tweak' it for the magazine editors and other testers. The dealers weren't to hand them out. Later it only had the kick stand bolt and the battery bolts.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #3399
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
FTB
Those little tangs that lock the clamp can be filed down flush. You can then get a thin screwdriver or similar between where the clamp folds over itself and pry it open.
Btw, with the Acerbis 3 gal install, I didnt cut the oem hoses to fit the Golan. I simply added a 40mm length of FI hose between the QR and Golan. Also added some protective sheath to the oem hose between the golan and the throttle body as this was rubbing in several areas prior to any modifications.

Thanks for the description Bill.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #3400
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
My $.02,
The 500 will put a bigger smile on your face. I take 100 mile street rides one day then do serious off road riding the next day. I use Knobby tires for everything and settled on Dunlop 606's as a good compromise between tire life and traction.
My 500 has 5000 miles and 200 hours on the engine without any maintenance other than changing the oil and checking the valve adjustment. The suspension is stock except for a heavier spring for the rear shock. The whole bike is stock but the engine has been desmogged and the ecu has been remapped. I go with the theory "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
For twisty two lane roads the 500 will be better. If you like the interstates then the 690 will be more comfortable.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #3401
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
My $.02,
The 500 will put a bigger smile on your face. I take 100 mile street rides one day then do serious off road riding the next day. I use Knobby tires for everything and settled on Dunlop 606's as a good compromise between tire life and traction.
My 500 has 5000 miles and 200 hours on the engine without any maintenance other than changing the oil and checking the valve adjustment. The suspension is stock except for a heavier spring for the rear shock. The whole bike is stock but the engine has been desmogged and the ecu has been remapped. I go with the theory "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
For twisty two lane roads the 500 will be better. If you like the interstates then the 690 will be more comfortable.
+ $0.02
500 xcw with 160 hrs 7100kms of dualsport riding.
Valves havent moved.
EU map from new. Never overheats. No oil consumption between 15hr changes.
I'm running the Geomax MX51's which the xcw comes stock with, but thats partly because we dont have many choices in Cambodia. Good tyres for offroad and stable enough on slab.

bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #3402
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
I go back and forth between the 2 bikes. As far as my skill level? I'm an average rider just looking for a quality piece that might illicit a few grins on this old face. My racing/crashing days are behind me, and at 54 I'm more into having fun and not scaring the crap out of myself. There will be no extended highway pavement runs (boring, and why I sold my Versys) but there might be some twisty pavement runs, mixed in with dirt road stuff and any single track I can find(Vermont frowns on that). I'll probably be using the bike to 75% of it's abilities most of the time honestly. Why I'm leaning towards the 500? Weight. I haven't even seen a 690 yet but have sat on a 500 and just can't get over how light it felt. Coming from a 650l, it felt like a trials bike (have a Sherco 2.9) and everything on it was buttery smooth. I hear all the comments and go back and forth like a ping pong ball.
Nice to hear that a lot of people are getting a lot of miles out of the 500 without issues. Question I still need answered is what's involved once it does need a rebuild and the average cost. Not a deal breaker, just trying to get an idea what I'm in for.
Friends getting a GS1200, hence my original gander at the gs800. Can I hang with him on a day ride of mostly back roads and dirt?
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #3403
MJG2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The small bolts and the washers are for the battery, but the battery includes them. I think the other plug is for removing the fan switch on the radiator.

This kit came with the early bikes, to 'tweak' it for the magazine editors and other testers. The dealers weren't to hand them out. Later it only had the kick stand bolt and the battery bolts.
Anyone get a bike lately and can tell me if your bag included the SAS plug

what was in your bolt bag ?

Thats sounds funny eh :-)
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #3404
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
SNIP....
Friends getting a GS1200, hence my original gander at the gs800. Can I hang with him on a day ride of mostly back roads and dirt?
On back roads - at less than 60 mph - easily. More than that and you can tell you are twisting it out a bit. I have a 990ADV and a 500. On the road I definitely go faster on the 990 (maybe 10 -20 mph) than on the 500 when I am out by myself.

On the dirt - of any type - you will more than make up the difference - by a lot. The 500 is just that much easier to ride on the dirt than even my 990 - which is fairly well set up for the dirt as a 500 lb "dual sport"
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #3405
Frankko
Midnight Rambler

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

I was about to ask you where n Thailand you were. Chiang mai was home for 2 years an love riding in the north.

Looking at a KTM when I get back home after I sort out my taxes.