Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #3451
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
13 500 exc --they are there and not plugged in -they have bullet connectors and clear plastic shield- any idea what they are used for?

+2 You just reminded me about those.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #3452
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by tujacov View Post
I was looking for a carbon exhaust guard, but I found only these:

E-Line Carbon Fiber Pipe Guard 450/500 12-13

CARBON HEADER GUARD

I really like much more the one below, does anybody know where to buy it? It covers much bigger area of exhaust. I saw it on thumpertalk forum

I got one on Amazon. Its smaller than the one you show but it protects my pants from melting on the pipe. It will fit your bike.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZG8JSA/...M2C_SC_3p_dp_1
Bengt Phorks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #3453
MJG2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
rear turn sig install pics/info

I bought a Sicass rear under fender -looks good

I bought Sicass mini LED turn signals -not the flush mout but the ones shaped like stock and shorter and smaller

I now need to drill and mount them

any tips, advice, pics

also need to drill through the under fender to run wires to the turn sigs

Any good pics of where your drilled?
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #3454
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:

+1 I'm also interested in those pics, as I need to install the rear OEM turn signals and run the wires to the underseat connectors

Thanks in advance!
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #3455
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 768
Sic ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyktm View Post
+1 I'm also interested in those pics, as I need to install the rear OEM turn signals and run the wires to the underseat connectors

Thanks in advance!
I installed the Sicass fender with the flush LED signals and it came out looking sweet. The fender has a large center support column towards the rear between where the signal wires pull thru.

I drilled out this column a little bit, notched it on left and right side with a pair of dykes to give wires a place to go without getting pinched between the new fender and stock plastic and pulled the signal connectors thru it to the right side cavity between new under tail piece and stock plastic where I made my connections and tidied everything up.

Wires come from signals straight to center of new fender and then straight up up into the space between fenders. Shot some silicone into the hole and called it done.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #3456
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
+2 You just reminded me about those.
Did anyone chime in on these? Are they switched or constant? I am looking to install my Trailtech Voyager and I would like to pick up my power/neg wires behind headlight rather than go back to the battery.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #3457
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

Its not a huge issue or anything just something I noticed. Its my first FI bike and maybe my expectations were that it would have unreal throttle response and control. We're all different people and riders and have differing preferences. Have not tried the map switch yet and I'm not sure its what I would want. Though I'm willing to listen to what people have to say about it I'm not looking for a more aggressive power delivery, as I think its lovely and responsive everywhere, except that initial throttle response.

I've not tried more sag than 115mm (about 4.5") on the 500. I agree more sag will increase the stability. At 5'5" believe me I could do with 200 mm of sag to get my feet closer to the ground. However when I tried running 125mm (just under 5"), that much sag on my other KTM PDS bikes it did lower the bike and increase stability which was nice, but the trade off was all the weight was taken off the front end and effected the plushness of the front forks over bumps, rocks etc. It was not bad on the large obstacles but on the smaller trail hack it lost a lot of plushness, started deflecting etc. I also noticed the shock lost plushness as well. All I can think off is with that much sag you're deeper into the damping of the shock making it harsh. in addition it hindered its cornering enough that even i noticed. Though as you say it did indeed make it more stable. Again I have not tried more rear sag on the 500 so maybe I'll try it again and see what its like.

Again these are all just my thoughts and experiences and not what everyone finds, needs, or desires.
FTB

Pity the mapping on our bikes couldn't be adjusted with the User Setting Tool. Instead, we have to get a dealer to remap with the XC1 tool and there's only the one map upgrade (EU map) that I know of.
I note Aussieclay reckons the AP function on the JD tuner helped alleviate the hesitation you speak of.
I wonder how the range of adjustment from the JD tuner on our bikes compares to bikes with ECU's that are compatible with the UST ?

Re bike geometry, I'm running 115mm rear sag with the X bushing lowering the rear 14mm and forks raised slightly in the clamps.
In other words, the rear sits around 12mm - 1/2" lower than stock in relation to the front.
For dualsport riding I find this adds stability with no noticeable (to me) downside.
I did try 120-125mm rear sag on the 500, but like you with your 525, I found it made the rear suspension feel harsh.
Ultimately, I would like the rear lowered 1" and front around 1/2" but this can wait until a shock rebuild is due, ie internal spacer and re-valve.

That sheathing for the FI hose was something I had lying around from another bike. Don't know where to buy it unfortunately.

bill1960 screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 08:09 PM
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #3458
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,280
Quote:
I bought a Sicass rear under fender -looks good

I bought Sicass mini LED turn signals -not the flush mout but the ones shaped like stock and shorter and smaller

I now need to drill and mount them

any tips, advice, pics

Do you or anyone have an extra stock turn hanging around. I replaced my stocks with a flush mount set (when I broke my 2nd OEM). The survivor has made it's way to the back of the TW and I would like another to match.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #3459
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHBO View Post
Did anyone chime in on these? Are they switched or constant? I am looking to install my Trailtech Voyager and I would like to pick up my power/neg wires behind headlight rather than go back to the battery.
My Voyager plugged right into where the stock was unplugged. Nothing else required.
Dirty in all is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #3460
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Do you or anyone have an extra stock turn hanging around. I replaced my stocks with a flush mount set (when I broke my 2nd OEM). The survivor has made it's way to the back of the TW and I would like another to match.

I have an extra stock flasher I'd let go to you for about 10 bucks to cover shipping.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #3461
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHBO View Post
I installed the Sicass fender with the flush LED signals and it came out looking sweet. The fender has a large center support column towards the rear between where the signal wires pull thru.

I drilled out this column a little bit, notched it on left and right side with a pair of dykes to give wires a place to go without getting pinched between the new fender and stock plastic and pulled the signal connectors thru it to the right side cavity between new under tail piece and stock plastic where I made my connections and tidied everything up.

Wires come from signals straight to center of new fender and then straight up up into the space between fenders. Shot some silicone into the hole and called it done.
Thank you very much for the information! I will shoot some pics when I have some time to do it in my EXC
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #3462
mnsnowhawk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
For those that have a voyager, how do you like them? I was thinking of getting one. Mostly for when I was snowbiking in the mountains and need to find my way back. Also, what did you do with the lights that mount on the stock speedo.
mnsnowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #3463
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsnowhawk View Post
For those that have a voyager, how do you like them? I was thinking of getting one. Mostly for when I was snowbiking in the mountains and need to find my way back. Also, what did you do with the lights that mount on the stock speedo.

It is a nice piece of equipment. The compass feature saved my bacon a couple times last year on the TAT. I have to admit I that I haven't used it to it's full potential as I am kind of a dimwit when it comes to tracks and gpx files and realizing that end of it.

The mechanical information the Voyager can provide is very valuable, though. Temp (programmable lights for engine temp), tach, altitude...etc. I put one on my DRZ and I am installing one on my 500EXC.

Word of warning, though...I got the kit for the 500 and after looking at the temp sensor fitting, realized it wasn't really gonna work and then was told by Brian DeHate of tech support that I need to buy the thermostat temp fitting and the one they sent me is not the correct one.

I am going to retain the stock speedo unit and mount the Voyager along side it.

Dirty in all, you mentioned the Voyager plugs right into the stock unit wiring? Connectors match? If so, that is almost too easy to resist...

Almost ready for pics of this beast...I am still executing my vision...soon.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #3464
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsnowhawk View Post
I love mine. Comes in so handy, even just the compass. The temp sensor I recieved was also a t-stat delete. Yes it all just plugged in with stock connectors. Power, ignition, wheel sensor (maybe I replaced this whole cable that came in the kit, no biggie) then I added the temp. and tach which also plugged right in.

I did this with the indicator lights. Still a work in progress, 2 per side.

Ill get my meter out and find out what the two plugs behind the light do tomorrow, didnt find it clearly in the owners or shop manual.

Dirty in all screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 11:46 PM
Dirty in all is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #3465
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
BRP Rubber mounted Submount for Scotts Stabiliser

For a 2013 500 xcw

Will the HDB (HighwayDirtBike) topclamp for the OEM perches fit the BRP rubber mounted submount ?

http://www.brpmoto.com/products?page...tegory_id=1208

With the brp rubber-mounted submount fitted, how high can the forks be raised in the triple clamps. I read somewhere there's less clearance compared to the OEM perches.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote