Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #3616
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,310
The EXC 500 is already geared a little tall and is tall at the saddle largely because of that 140 rear tire. When my 140 goes I will replace it with a 130. Kills 2 problems with 1 stone and is a little cheaper also
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #3617
yzedf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Just put down a deposit on a 2013
Old 03-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #3618
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie27 View Post
hi,

coming close to the end of life for stock OEM tire. I ride mostly sandy, rocky off rad and seldom on the road.

What have you tried and how does it compare to stock?

I was recommended Maxxis Maxxcross Desert IT but it is not offered in 140/80.

thanks

That 140/80/18, if its the same as came on the 530EXC Metzeler Six Days tire, is about the same size as a 110/100 or 120/90 from other brands(Michelen). Different ways they measure the tire carcass. A 110-120 width should be all you need. Smaller should give better turning performance (so I read) and wider for bigger footprint and drive in straight line.
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #3619
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Yep, standard sized dirt rim. Narrower tires weigh less as well.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #3620
fasteddie23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
The perfect toolkit

Just picked up my new 500EXC a couple of weeks ago and have about 3 miles on it :-( Hopefully going to change that this weekend.

Given everyone's experiences so far with this bike and riding in general what would everyone consider to the be the perfect toolkit for this bike. I know it depends on riding but I would like to put a tail rack on it with a small wolfman back that will always be stocked with the main things I will need for trail situations - from tools to tubes. I plan on doing a lot of long day rides as well as multi-day rides.

If you have bought a prebuilt toolkit thats fine too. Brand and where you bought it would be great.

Does anyone have experience with the Seat Concepts tail rack?

Thanks for your help.
fasteddie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #3621
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie23 View Post
Just picked up my new 500EXC a couple of weeks ago and have about 3 miles on it :-( Hopefully going to change that this weekend.

Given everyone's experiences so far with this bike and riding in general what would everyone consider to the be the perfect toolkit for this bike. I know it depends on riding but I would like to put a tail rack on it with a small wolfman back that will always be stocked with the main things I will need for trail situations - from tools to tubes. I plan on doing a lot of long day rides as well as multi-day rides.

If you have bought a prebuilt toolkit thats fine too. Brand and where you bought it would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Read this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

I have tons of tools and for a pre-built kit, Blue Ridge Racing has some great stuff with their sliding t-handle set.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #3622
buls4evr
No Marks....

So watch your spark arrestor...... I lost mine in the first 50 miles of yesterdays ride of 200 mi. I was glad I was not going into the NF anywhere! I won't even begin to tell you about the warranty hassles to replace it..... They want the bike for 3 wks......It's a 125 mi round trip X2 . No idea how long the part will take to arrive.It's a $23 part! So much for a warranty. Just locktite that bugger in and safety wire it also. I love the bike though.... Outstanding fuel mileage of 68 mpg. Anybody want to sell me a used spark arrestor?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #3623
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
So watch your spark arrestor...... I lost mine in the first 50 miles of yesterdays ride of 200 mi. I was glad I was not going into the NF anywhere! I won't even begin to tell you about the warranty hassles to replace it..... They want the bike for 3 wks......It's a 125 mi round trip X2 . No idea how long the part will take to arrive.It's a $23 part! So much for a warranty. Just locktite that bugger in and safety wire it also. I love the bike though.... Outstanding fuel mileage of 68 mpg. Anybody want to sell me a used spark arrestor?

Are you talking about the little screen that sits on the very end of the exhaust can? the one that screws into the tail end of the exhaust?

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #3624
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Are you talking about the little screen that sits on the very end of the exhaust can? the one that screws into the tail end of the exhaust?
Because if you are ... then you're going to be okay!

That little screw-in screen in the back of the muffler is an additional "noise suppressor."
(see parts # 18 and 19 in the following parts diagram.)

The spark arrestor piece that makes your bike safe for riding in the woods is *INSIDE* the muffler and can't come out.

E-Ticket

[IMG]http://173.74.246.25/munnracing/cata.../127870513.gif[/IMG]

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #3625
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
Because if you are ... then you're going to be okay!

That little screw-in screen in the back of the muffler is an additional "noise suppressor."

The spark arrestor piece that makes your bike safe for riding in the woods is *INSIDE* the muffler and can't come out.

E-Ticket

yup, ditto.

After loosing two of those, I just left the pipe as it is.....no screen.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #3626
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
yup, ditto.

After loosing two of those, I just left the pipe as it is.....no screen.

Yes ,parts #18 and 19. Tell a Forest Ranger in the Gilas that is not a spark arrestor. Guess I will wire it in this time.Those big threads are a dead giveaway that something goes in there.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #3627
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Thanks Abyss for the quick ship of the 13L tank

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #3628
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Unlike their seats, which I love, I have only heard negative things about the tail rack. I don't think they make it, I believe they are just selling someone else's product. Someone on this thread tried one and posted that it didn't hold up. If you look at how it is trying to carry all the weight with a little bit of cantilevered support, it just looks read to fail. The Pro Moto Billet rack is the way to go, but it is pricey. I am saving my pennies for one.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #3629
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Hi fast

SeatConcepts does not build that rack. I use the GiantLoop tank bag on my 500 and a front fender bag for a spare tube from Dirt-Bike-Gear. You could also use a DBG rear fender bag that attaches to the rear fender....OR a GiantLoop Mojave for day rides. I use the GL tank bag, front spare tube bag and for longer day rides, the Mojave.

Good luck
Garrett

Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #3630
boostracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Yes ,parts #18 and 19. Tell a Forest Ranger in the Gilas that is not a spark arrestor. Guess I will wire it in this time.Those big threads are a dead giveaway that something goes in there.
Just leave the screen out & screw the nut in, tight! You're then legal, let him do the stick test, as mentioned the spark arrestor's inside.
boostracer is offline   Reply With Quote