Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #3736
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Thanks once again to E-Ticket the kickstand is fixed.....hey it acts like NORMAL now.My kit did not have that bolt BTW. I already am working on the Sicass parts to eliminate that crazy turn signal block, and while I am at it.... make the FAN work once in a while with an on/off switch. I guess in 2012 they never shut off in hot weather, but my 2013 never TURNS ON so they went the other way with the sensor I guess.Sicass just has a switch so you decide....good. I would rather do this myself. And Sicass lets you completely turn OFF the headlight if you want to charge up that battery. Oh Steve S you are THE MAN. OK, so what about the oil $$$$$$$? That Motorex price is crazy! Anyone find an outlet cheaper .... or does that Mobil 1 stuff (much cheaper) meet that JASO 903 MA requirement.... and come in that weird weight? Or, does that weight really matter? Does KTM own Motorex? Someone said $25 for an oil change! Try $36+ $9 for a filter!!!! More like $45. Sounds like a lot of BS to me. K&N make that filter BTW? And Maxima is not good enough for this engine?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #3737
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Thanks once again to E-Ticket the kickstand is fixed.....hey it acts like NORMAL now.My kit did not have that bolt BTW. I already am working on the Sicass parts to eliminate that crazy turn signal block, and while I am at it.... make the FAN work once in a while with an on/off switch. I guess in 2012 they never shut off in hot weather, but my 2013 never TURNS ON so they went the other way with the sensor I guess.Sicass just has a switch so you decide....good. I would rather do this myself. And Sicass lets you completely turn OFF the headlight if you want to charge up that battery. Oh Steve S you are THE MAN. OK, so what about the oil $$$$$$$? That Motorex price is crazy! Anyone find an outlet cheaper .... or does that Mobil 1 stuff (much cheaper) meet that JASO 903 MA requirement.... and come in that weird weight? Or, does that weight really matter? Does KTM own Motorex? Someone said $25 for an oil change! Try $36+ $9 for a filter!!!! More like $45. Sounds like a lot of BS to me. K&N make that filter BTW? And Maxima is not good enough for this engine?
Glad to be of service, sir!

Check out the Wee Beasty Index and there is a section on selecting/installing a different temperature sensor.

As far as oil choice goes? Well, that's a religious war in itself. :^)
I have had extremely good performance using Mobil 1 4T Racing Oil (10w-40, full-synthetic, motorcycle-specific). That is, *after* breaking in the engine with a quality, non-synthetic, motorcycle-specific oil.

For a cheaper, but still trustworthy oil filter, check out the line of Hi-Lo filters. They're a direct replacement. (not sure on part # for you mo-mo.)

Cheers! E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #3738
gourou
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Got 2013 500exc this winter in replacement of my 2010 530exc ce i got stolen this summer.

Got the 500 xcw map and 14/48 at the dealer before delivery. Desmogg by putting ball bearing in the rubber hoses of the SAS and canister vacuum.

Bike already have 1.1 hour and 5km at delivery, so just replace the oil with 10w40 dyno and clean the screen for another hour before oil and filter change.

For the oil i have a couple of motorex power syn 4t 10W60 left of my hold bike. After that i'm gonna switch to lucas 10W50 syntec from canadian tire. Not too expensive at 10 $.

Already pur some goodies on the bike.

HID 6000K from dx.com, for bike with hi/lo at 22 $. (http://dx.com/p/35w-3200lm-6000k-h6-...c-9-18v-108967)
EE aluminkum skid plate
dualtaker foldable mirroir.
Fork orange vent adapter.
Led licence light and front drl.

Just waiting for the snow here in quebec to melt to go riding.

gourou screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 05:26 PM
gourou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #3739
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie23 View Post
Acerbis makes the factory bodywork for KTM so I would expect same level of break ability but you can also expect the same level of fit and finish.
Um, the back of my broken OEM radiator shroud says Polisport...
But, the KTM 13L tank sure looks identical to the Acerbis one.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #3740
fasteddie23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Does anyone know if the sicass multi function switch allows you to actually switch the headlight off on a 2013 500 exc?
fasteddie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #3741
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie23 View Post
Does anyone know if the sicass multi function switch allows you to actually switch the headlight off on a 2013 500 exc?
Certainly does on a 2012.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #3742
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Yes it does, I have a 2013 with that switch.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #3743
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Next time you pass through the panhandle area give us a shout. We have some great riding (for florida) and about 5 new 2012/13 in the group.

I know a ridge where I can get you to almost 300 ft elevation!
300 + feet and not at the top. Clear Creek Calif.

Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #3744
ngads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Finally!

Just purchased my brand new 500 (2013) ! So far I love it, and I want to say thanks to all that have contributed to this thread, I have many ideas about what I want to add to this bike because of you guys.

Right off the bat i need a skid plate. Anybody have any recommendations? I was looking for a hard plastic (i don't like the look of the metal ones). Anyone have the acerbis?
ngads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #3745
DavidOR
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I have the RTE skid plate and like it: http://www.globetrottin.com/Skid-pla...-XCW_p_23.html

Easy to install provides good coverage.
DavidOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #3746
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngads View Post
Just purchased my brand new 500 (2013) ! So far I love it, and I want to say thanks to all that have contributed to this thread, I have many ideas about what I want to add to this bike because of you guys.

Right off the bat i need a skid plate. Anybody have any recommendations? I was looking for a hard plastic (i don't like the look of the metal ones). Anyone have the acerbis?
I have the KTM Hardparts quick release plastic one and am very happy with it.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #3747
240nekkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
I have the KTM Hardparts quick release plastic one and am very happy with it.

+1 so far
240nekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #3748
Enduro Outlaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
300 + feet and not at the top. Clear Creek Calif.

Your gonna need a serious run at that hill to even think about getting up it. I'm out when it comes to going down that.. I don't mind bouncing off a tree now and then but taking out half the forest is not my thing..haha
Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #3749
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,374

^ Picked up my 2013 KTM 500 EXC from TJ's Cycle in Austin, and began the prep for a Tecate to Cabo run in September.

^ Immediately set about modding it by working with an experienced KTM guy out of Kyle, Texas. Here, the steering head bearings got an application of grease. They were very, very undergreased.

^ New 50t rear (KTM with hardened steel outer). Had to fit a new chain to get wheelset at desired. Running 15/50 now.

^ Removed the swing arm and greased the bearings. These were actually good from the factory

^ Wrench buddy Sam on the bike. You can see the Acerbis 5.3 tank fitted for Baja.

^ Sam testing wheelieability in his yard. What you don't see is him slamming the front to the ground and stopping 2 feet from his car

^ Pricey mod, but this exact Baja Designs LED setup will be fitted for the bike. Don't intend to run at night in Baja but a flat late in the day may push into dusk/darkness. Yes, it will fit a 2013 and no, no stator mod needed. It's plug and play.

^ Scotts underbar steering damper added

Here are some of the other mods:

Fastway F3 Pegs - lowered and to the rear

Hammerhead Shift Lever (factory lever to be brought as a spare)

Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 clutch (not yet installed - on order)

KTM Ballistic Plastic Skid Plate

Pro Moto Billet Rack

Giant Loop Mojavi Bag

.50 Front Springs

8.0 Shock Spring

Thanks to Too Tall - I had the springs right on the bike, just mis-posted the numbers here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Tricepilot,

Check your springs on that new KTM 500. You may have reversed them and put the wrong springs in the forks and on the shock somehow.
Probend Handguards

Sicass Racing Turn Signals (slim profile to work better with the exhaust)

500 EX-W re-mapping

For Baja only, there will be a mousse in the front tire, and a heavy duty tube in the rear.

Credit to Rich Dozer in his ride report Riding Little Pigs in Baja for a lot of these ideas, and to Sam Crabtree from Kyle Texas for leading the still-new bike overhaul of the gearing and greasing the steering head and swing arm bearings. He also set the fork rake so that the top flats of the forks are even with the top clamp.

tricepilot screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 07:35 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #3750
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Tricepilot,

Check your springs on that new KTM 500. You may have reversed them and put the wrong springs in the forks and on the shock somehow.

Congrats on the new bike.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT

Too Tall screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 03:00 PM
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote