User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #3766
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
500exc electrical output

I am using my 500EXC more as an Adventure Bike these days and plan to spend more time riding in the high elevations of Nevada where it can get very cold even in the middle of June.

I was wondering if I can run heated gloves and jacket liner on my 2013 KTM 500EXC without running the battery dead.

Gerbing gloves are 2.2 amps and 27 watts
Gerbing jacket liner is 6.4 amps and 77 watts

Any input on this is appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. I have three riding buddies also on KTM's. Two 525EXC's and one 450EXC. We are all interested in this.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #3767
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
I am using my 500EXC more as an Adventure Bike these days and plan to spend more time riding in the high elevations of Nevada where it can get very cold even in the middle of June.

I was wondering if I can run heated gloves and jacket liner on my 2013 KTM 500EXC without running the battery dead.

Gerbing gloves are 2.2 amps and 27 watts
Gerbing jacket liner is 6.4 amps and 77 watts

Any input on this is appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. I have three riding buddies also on KTM's. Two 525EXC's and one 450EXC. We are all interested in this.
Any fuel injected KTM/Husaberg will handle it fine, the 525s won't, neither the 450 if it's carbed.

Even with a Trailtech stator + flywheel upgrade the RFS bikes will make 120 Watts peak, vs. almost 200 Watts on the 500 (although fuel pump and FI will take some of that).
Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #3768
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Yes - by testing the subframe on Tim Morton's Baja Bound Tecate to Cabo ride in September

To give you a serious answer - no
Yup ... that should be a very serious and complete reliability test.

Tell Tim I'd said, "!Hola!"

E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #3769
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
Had air filter out of 13 - 500 exc other day and was looking forward into air boot

on top of the duct that runs to the throttle plate is a hole with a sensor coming in -I think its air temp sensor for the FI

It comes in at a hard angle- its not sticking down straight- I thought it looked bent to the side

Then looking out outside of duct/boot- you see it bolts on an angle

so I think thats just how it is

Next time you have airfilter out- look forward at little white sensor top inside duct -is your on a hard angle ?
I believe this is what you're referring to, sir.

Cheers! E-Ticket
========================

And now ..... get ready for the "E-Ticket ride" into the belly of the wee beast ....
[Editor's Note: For the following special effect to work ... you have to scroll rapidly down the page of pics.
Sorry, but it's the best we could do with our very limited budget for "extras" like special effects.)]

Hey ... I told you we had a limited budget ... (grin)

On the Euro bikes, there is an intake restrictor just before the butterfly valve. It's like looking through a low-flow, shower head restrictor.
Fortunately, we do not have that on the US EXC models. You can look into throttle body and directly see the "butterfly" throttle valve
Just below the intake throat for the throttle body is a little sub-chamber.

That's where the air temp/density sensor resides.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #3770
MJG2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
item 22 ambient air sensor

on E -tickets pictures his are lower in air box and it comes straight in - as you can see in his picture

His bike is a 12-350

further looking shows 12 and 13 350 use same air duct boot
12 and 13 500 use different boot- and the air sensor is moved- interesting- wonder why

so it looks like they moved the air sensor up higher and it comes in at angle- look at your with filter removed and tell me what you see
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S

MJG2 screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 02:57 PM
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #3771
MJG2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
item 22 ambient air sensor

on E -tickets pictures his are lower in air box and it comes straight in - as you can see in his picture

His bike is a 12-350

further looking shows 12 and 13 350 use same air duct boot
12 and 13 500 use different boot- and the air sensor is moved- interesting- wonder why

so it looks like they moved the air sensor up higher and it comes in at angle- look at your with filter removed and tell me what you see
Additionally- I'd be interested to know where the crankcase vent line enters the air duct on a 12 -500

My 13 - 500 comes in the bottom

If the 12 500 uses the other style duct -that incidentally is same part# as 12/13 350 - they vent the crankcase to the top of the duct
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #3772
240nekkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
halogen headlight bulb?

my bulb died and i don't quite have enough for the squadron yet. i was wondering if anyone has tried the halogen from sicass? are their other replacement options? i have a cycleworld close by and will drop in this weekend to check their selection. i don't ride at night much, but if i do of course i want to see better than the stock candle. man, that thing was just plain dangerous. thanks!
240nekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #3773
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,722
Used the sicass Halogen for a while. I smelled hot plastic smell when ever I stopped. That passed after a while. Brighter, but same light pattern. Went Kablooie way too soon, but lasted 3x of the stock bulb.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #3774
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,315
I'm on my 3rd bulb so I added an little simple "on/off".

Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #3775
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240nekkid View Post
my bulb died and i don't quite have enough for the squadron yet. i was wondering if anyone has tried the halogen from sicass? are their other replacement options? i have a cycleworld close by and will drop in this weekend to check their selection. i don't ride at night much, but if i do of course i want to see better than the stock candle. man, that thing was just plain dangerous. thanks!
I bought 2 halogens from Sicass. (one for a spare). Just finisehed a 450 mile dualsport ride with no issues so far. I too will spring for the squadron
when the money allows. it's not so much the bulb, or the halogen. It's the crappy reflector as it does not focus the beam well at all. in fact it scatters the crap outa the light . I have a Sicass light kit on my XC-W which allows the headlight to be turned off but the DRL stay on as well as the rear light. I merely left the factory switch wired in the circuit so I can turn all lights off when off road.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #3776
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzrider View Post
I bought 2 halogens from Sicass. (one for a spare). Just finisehed a 450 mile dualsport ride with no issues so far. I too will spring for the squadron
when the money allows. it's not so much the bulb, or the halogen. It's the crappy reflector as it does not focus the beam well at all. in fact it scatters the crap outa the light . I have a Sicass light kit on my XC-W which allows the headlight to be turned off but the DRL stay on as well as the rear light. I merely left the factory switch wired in the circuit so I can turn all lights off when off road.
Same here, waiting to spend the big bucks for a Squadron. But I saw this on sale at CG, and am thinking about giving it a try at only $60. Any tried one of these?
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/P...p/40457_425407

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #3777
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
KTM Watts Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Any fuel injected KTM/Husaberg will handle it fine, the 525s won't, neither the 450 if it's carbed.

Even with a Trailtech stator + flywheel upgrade the RFS bikes will make 120 Watts peak, vs. almost 200 Watts on the 500 (although fuel pump and FI will take some of that).
Thanks for the information. I understand my 500EXC will use approximately 130 watts when running, (that is what the KTM Dealer told me but I don't know if that assumes running the headlight, taillight, brake light and turn signals all at the same time) leaving me about 70 watts available at the maximum.

What would you guess I could save in watts if I do not run my headlight? I have a 35 watt bulb so I'm guessing I would save 35 watts. I don't think there is anything else to turn off to save watts if I needed 104 watts for heated gloves and jacket liner.

I'd really like to know if anyone out there has actually tried running heated gloves and jacket liner on the 500EXC. I guess I can always just buy the heated stuff and see what happens. I would only be using them during daylight hours so I don't have to run my lights. I have the Sicass headlight switch so I can turn off my lights while riding.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #3778
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

You know ... you guys might want to rethink your policy of turning off your headlight when riding off-road.

Because head-on crashes ... absolutely SUCK.
Ask me how I know.

And anything you can do to catch the attention of someone coming at you around the corner of a fire-road or trail -- is a good thing.

Mmm-kay-y-y?

E-Ticket

Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #3779
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Subframe testing

Leaving for a 7 day Baja trip this sunday and was all loaded up. I just could not trust the subframe to hold this amount of weight. I am pretty sure that it would be alright but in Baja if it broke I did not want the hassle. I ordered a rack from RTE (www.globetrottin.com) they sold me a used one for a good price (thanks guys)and two day delivered it to my house just to be sure. I'm gonna install tonight and remount my luggage. but here is a pic of it set up before rack install. it seemed very sturdy and most of the weight is over the sturdier part of the subframe but in the back of my head I just did not want to worry about it. and with my back pack and gear on it was a little cramped for my 6'1" frame in the cockpit.

gps,chapstick and phone holder

for shorter rides and rides less strenuous on the bike. i would have no problem using this set up with out a rack. jmo.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #3780
Steve Lewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Globetrottin rack problem solved!
Steve Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote