Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #3781
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
You know ... you guys might want to rethink your policy of turning off your headlight when riding off-road.

Because head-on crashes ... absolutely SUCK.
Ask me how I know.

And anything you can do to catch the attention of someone coming at you around the corner of a fire-road or trail -- is a good thing.

Mmm-kay-y-y?

E-Ticket
Agree completely, especially when riding on mountain roads with blind corners. I have always run my headlight on high beam during the day by when in Nevada a few weeks ago, there were long straight widely graded roads where you can see for miles. But I am still safer with the light on.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #3782
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Same here, waiting to spend the big bucks for a Squadron. But I saw this on sale at CG, and am thinking about giving it a try at only $60. Any tried one of these?
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/P...p/40457_425407
Give ADVmonster a try before you do anything else.
ADVmonster has lights for KTMs. Take a look at post #3228 in the vendor thread.
LED Auxiliary Lights - Page 216 - ADVrider. SANJOH is his name, and he is the owner. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...07184&page=216
Here is his website; http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...Categories.bok
I got a Model 60 light and the adjustable dimmer kit from him. Cost was about $200.00 It was a plug and play installation with KTM connectors and it uses the stock headlight mask and switch. You can adjust the brightness from off to 100% for the low beam and the light goes to full power when you turn on the high beam switch. The light draws 28 watts at full power and about 3 watts for low beam. This light is BRIGHT! Instant daytime whenever you need it. It's about a hundred times better than the stock light.
He can help you get set up with whatever lighting you need along with the wiring and mounting for the lights. Contact him at : sandjoh@gmail.com

phone 954-993-5581

ADVmonster
PO Box 10
Babson Park, FL 33827
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #3783
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
You know ... you guys might want to rethink your policy of turning off your headlight when riding off-road.

Because head-on crashes ... absolutely SUCK.
Ask me how I know.

And anything you can do to catch the attention of someone coming at you around the corner of a fire-road or trail -- is a good thing.

Mmm-kay-y-y?

E-Ticket
Indeed yes, I agree with this entirely. Another rider and I collided between s-bends on a trail through some scotchbroom brush. No serious injuries but unnerving when we hit left sides and stopped dead in tracks. His left hand and my left knee a little banged up plus some body work broke on bike. A 35 watt light is not much draw. Skip the heated gear and use heated grips. :cool:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #3784
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
Leaving for a 7 day Baja trip this sunday and was all loaded up. I just could not trust the subframe to hold this amount of weight. I am pretty sure that it would be alright but in Baja if it broke I did not want the hassle. I ordered a rack from RTE (www.globetrottin.com) they sold me a used one for a good price (thanks guys)and two day delivered it to my house just to be sure. I'm gonna install tonight and remount my luggage. but here is a pic of it set up before rack install. it seemed very sturdy and most of the weight is over the sturdier part of the subframe but in the back of my head I just did not want to worry about it. and with my back pack and gear on it was a little cramped for my 6'1" frame in the cockpit.

If that's all you're carrying why worry? I'm assuming you are traveling and sightseeing not doing 30 foot jumps... Etc.

Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #3785
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
LED Auxiliary Lights - Page 216 - ADVrider. SANJOH is his name, and he is the owner. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...07184&page=216
I got a Model 60 light and the adjustable dimmer kit from him. Cost was about $200.00 It was a plug and play installation with KTM connectors and it uses the stock headlight mask and switch. You can adjust the brightness from off to 100% for the low beam and the light goes to full power when you turn on the high beam switch. The light draws 28 watts at full power and about 3 watts for low beam. This light is BRIGHT! Instant daytime whenever you need it. It's about a hundred times better than the stock light.
He can help you get set up with whatever lighting you need along with the wiring and mounting for the lights. Contact him at : sandjoh@gmail.com

phone 954-993-5581

ADVmonster
PO Box 10
Babson Park, FL 33827
Let me get this straight; instead of wasting $60 on a crappy solution and wasting at least a weekend out of my life to try and get it working before tossing it in the trash, I should just pony up and do it right the first time?
Madness!

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 AM   #3786
gourou
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
Indeed yes, I agree with this entirely. Another rider and I collided between s-bends on a trail through some scotchbroom brush. No serious injuries but unnerving when we hit left sides and stopped dead in tracks. His left hand and my left knee a little banged up plus some body work broke on bike. A 35 watt light is not much draw. Skip the heated gear and use heated grips. :cool:

Milwaukee make good lithium-ion M12 heated jacket that last more than 8 hours.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0048E...-spell&pi=SL75
gourou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #3787
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
If that's all you're carrying why worry? I'm assuming you are traveling and sightseeing not doing 30 foot jumps... Etc.

I agree, but I have not read anything about the integrity of the subframe for carrying loads just people stating that they are prone to failure when loaded up on long hauls and I just wanted the "what if" voice in the back of my head to quiet down.1100 miles in Baja is not where I would like to see if the subframe would hold up or not. I mounted the RTE light rack last night with the gear and feel much more secure about the ride. The rack mounts quickly and easily and is very sturdy.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #3788
240nekkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
headlight

Quote:

phone 954-993-5581

ADVmonster
PO Box 10
Babson Park, FL 33827

Awesome! Just the info I was looking for. Thanks Guys!
240nekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #3789
TheBlackSheep
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Following are the pics of how I took care of covering/storing the plug for the solenoid valve.
Here's the final pilo 'o emissions stuff. Hoo-boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
The two threads that I have been using to sort out my bike are your "Wee Beasty" thread and the 500 thread here on advrider. Thank you, thank you, thank you for doing an index page.
Yes, thank you for these threads!
I used the charcoal canister mount to install a RLR Products coolant recovery tank.

TheBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #3790
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
I agree, but I have not read anything about the integrity of the subframe for carrying loads just people stating that they are prone to failure when loaded up on long hauls and I just wanted the "what if" voice in the back of my head to quiet down.1100 miles in Baja is not where I would like to see if the subframe would hold up or not. I mounted the RTE light rack last night with the gear and feel much more secure about the ride. The rack mounts quickly and easily and is very sturdy.

I am very close to making the decision to buy a 500EXC and am interested in knowing more about subframe issues since one of it's first duties will be to haul me and my gear on a 1300 mile Nevada offroad loop. Is the subframe an issue?

Could you post up more pictures of your bike with the rack only and also with you gear on the rack?

Thanks!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #3791
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep View Post
Yes, thank you for these threads!
I used the charcoal canister mount to install a RLR Products coolant recovery tank.

GREAT IDEA. Are you using a stock tank or a/m. I mounted mine in the air box, was thinking of doing what you did but was kinda worried about the heat from the exhaust and the motor? I was also worried it would not fit with my clock work 3.2 gl tank. let us know how it holds up and if it fits with a/m tank.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #3792
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I am very close to making the decision to buy a 500EXC and am interested in knowing more about subframe issues since one of it's first duties will be to haul me and my gear on a 1300 mile Nevada offroad loop. Is the subframe an issue?

Could you post up more pictures of your bike with the rack only and also with you gear on the rack?

Thanks!
I'll get you some pics. I think the subframe would hold up just fine for the weight I am carrying but just did not want to test it out in Baja. Thats why i got the Globtrottin.com mini rack
Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #3793
TheBlackSheep
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
GREAT IDEA. Are you using a stock tank or a/m. I mounted mine in the air box, was thinking of doing what you did but was kinda worried about the heat from the exhaust and the motor? I was also worried it would not fit with my clock work 3.2 gl tank. let us know how it holds up and if it fits with a/m tank.
It's a stock tank and I'll let you know Monday how she holds up this weekend.
TheBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #3794
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:

phone 954-993-5581

ADVmonster
PO Box 10
Babson Park, FL 33827
Was the plugnplay setup you got from ADVmonster for a KTM 500 ?

I dont see it on their website but guess its something they put together for you ?

Whats the difference between your $200 LED setup from ADVmonster and the more expensive BD plugnplay kit ?
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #3795
yzedf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Got down n dirty the other day!

14/48 gearing is on the way, need to slow down those rocky 2nd gear descents