Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #3916
DiVango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
They look so shiny when they are new.
For the popping on decel look for an exhaust air leak or the TPS adjustment.
You HAVE removed the black evap. cannister right? That can also cause popping after it fills up with fuel.
Thanks! Hope to keep it looking sharp but I am sure it will not look this good again

Yes, Black Evap canister is gone. Going to adjust TPS and see if that helps. Is it best to adjust by ear or use a meter? How could I check for an exhaust leak?

"There is no traffic Jam on the Extra Mile" Zig Ziglar
DiVango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #3917
Schlammaas
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi guys, and maybe mams,

I recently bought me a new 500 exc 2012' and still am only visiting it in its garage beeing down on my knees...its her hireness..what a bike.

I decided not to visit any dealor exepct ordering spareparts and having a smalltalk.

1. Service at 3 hours...no loosend srews, only few (3,4) mini small metalpeaces in the Screen.

2. Service at 10 hours, no metalpeaces, only usual abrasion in form of paste at the magnetic screw. Valve clearance perfect in the middle of the tolerances.

Takes far less fuel than my pals 530. Runs perfectly smooth.

By the way...my dealer told me that they get them desmogged and without (germany) and the other crap from ktm. They would have to mount it....ofcourse they didnt :-)

People here with more than 200 hours on the engine?

Have a nice ride
Schlammaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #3918
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
I have 240 hours and 5900 miles on my 2012 500 EXC and I can tell you it is a fun bike on the street. I regularly do 100 mile street rides with it.
Maintenance on this bike has been minimal. Keep the air filter clean, grease the countershaft sprocket splines, and change the oil every 15 - 25 hours depending on how hard you ride. The valves clearances are still within specs. The dealer said the engine would easily go a 1000 hours before any work.
I am using Dunlop 606's front and rear and they work and wear well on the street and dirt. The last 606 rear tire had 1800 miles on it when i changed it. I run 17 psi front and rear for the street and 12 psi for the dirt.
Gearing is 15t - 49t street and 13t or 14t - 49t for dirt depending where I am going.
Question: why grease the splines on the countershaft sprocket?

Thanks, E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #3919
boostracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post

Thanks, E-Ticket
To prevent wear.
boostracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #3920
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:

Thanks, E-Ticket

E-Ticket - Awesome thread on KTM Talk with your Wee Beasty. Thank you.

It's not just grease on the countershaft but a Moly Paste that is utilized for driveshafts and final drive components. its is supposed to protect the driveshaft splines your countershaftlt sprocket bolts to from looking like my 525 splines.

I've bought some to give it a try and see if helps. The above part was after 470 hours of dual sport riding. Apparently whacking the throttle opened on pavement is not kind to the driveshaft.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #3921
five03rider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey guys just picked up my 2013 500 exc here a few weeks ago!

Finally got a second set of wheels and tires. This bike is stupid awesome

She is de-smogged, custom fuel map, and cap out of the pipe.

five03rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #3922
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Congrats and welcome. I've been away from this thread for a few months and am really enjoying catching up with everyone and seeing all the proud new owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five03rider View Post
Hey guys just picked up my 2013 500 exc here a few weeks ago!

Finally got a second set of wheels and tires. This bike is stupid awesome

She is de-smogged, custom fuel map, and cap out of the pipe.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #3923
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
I have 240 hours and 5900 miles on my 2012 500 EXC and I can tell you it is a fun bike on the street. I regularly do 100 mile street rides with it.
Quote:
Maintenance on this bike has been minimal. Keep the air filter clean, grease the countershaft sprocket splines, and change the oil every 15 - 25 hours depending on how hard you ride. The valves clearances are still within specs. The dealer said the engine would easily go a 1000 hours before any work.
I am using Dunlop 606's front and rear and they work and wear well on the street and dirt. The last 606 rear tire had 1800 miles on it when i changed it. I run 17 psi front and rear for the street and 12 psi for the dirt.
Gearing is 15t - 49t street and 13t or 14t - 49t for dirt depending where I am going.

Thanks, E-Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

It's not just grease on the countershaft but a Moly Paste that is utilized for driveshafts and final drive components. its is supposed to protect the driveshaft splines your countershaftlt sprocket bolts to from looking like my 525 splines.

I've bought some to give it a try and see if helps. The above part was after 470 hours of dual sport riding. Apparently whacking the throttle opened on pavement is not kind to the driveshaft.
Wholey crap-o-la ...!!!

Supposedly the new Belville-washer, diaphragm clutch on the 350 EXC-F has a cush hub built into the clutch basket. Is is the same for the 500 EXC-F's?

Regardless, I think that I will do that the next time that I have the countershaft sprocket off!
Any recommendations on any specific-brand of grease? Or just make sure it's a known, high-quality brand?

BTW, would you mind if I posted your pic and mileage on the Wee Beasty thread? That's great information!

Cheers, E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #3924
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:

Thanks, E-Ticket

Wholey crap-o-la ...!!!

Supposedly the new Belville-washer, diaphragm clutch on the 350 EXC-F has a cush hub built into the clutch basket. Is is the same for the 500 EXC-F's?

Regardless, I think that I will do that the next time that I have the countershaft sprocket off!
Any recommendations on any specific-brand of grease? Or just make sure it's a known, high-quality brand?

BTW, would you mind if I posted your pic and mileage on the Wee Beasty thread? That's great information!

Cheers, E-Ticket
The 500 has the same rubber dampers on the clutch hub, but I'd still get a cush hub if you are going to put on lots of dual sport miles.

Regular grease is no good, but Honda Moly 60 paste supposedly is.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #3925
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiVango View Post
Thanks! Hope to keep it looking sharp but I am sure it will not look this good again

Yes, Black Evap canister is gone. Going to adjust TPS and see if that helps. Is it best to adjust by ear or use a meter? How could I check for an exhaust leak?
Don't mean to thread hijack but I'm just south of you in murfreesboro... plenty of good gravel roads where I live! PM me if you wanna hook up sometime
Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #3926
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:

Thanks, E-Ticket

Wholey crap-o-la ...!!!

Cheers, E-Ticket
Any automotive grease will do. I am using Molybium Multi purpose grease on the splines. I change countershaft sprockets for where I am going to be riding and after 230 hours the splines still look like new. So far the riding has been 60% street and 40% dirt, not by choice but time restraints.
According to the parts manual the 500 EXC has rubber dampers in the clutch hub, same as my 1967 Triumph Bonneville did so I think a rear wheel cush hub isn't necessary.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #3927
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie27 View Post
what size D606 rear tire are you running?

I am wondering if the D606 130/90-18 will work with 13/48 gearing in stock chain or if it will hit the shock gaurd?
I am using a 606 130/19 with a 120 link chain. I use the longer chain for two reasons. First is that it moves the rear wheel farther back on the swing arm which makes the ride a little smoother. Second, the longer chain allows me to switch gearing from 13-49 to 15-49 by just flipping the axle chain adjuster 180 degrees and moving the adjuster screw about 1/8 inch.
With the 15-49 combo there is about 7/8 inch clearance between the tire and shock guard.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #3928
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiVango View Post

Read this first: TPS adjustment post 3631
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682150&page=243

For an exhaust leak look at where the header pipe connects to the engine header to see if it is loose.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #3929
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

The wear is from Fretting, (Wikipedia): The ASM Handbook on Fatigue and Fracture defines fretting as: "A special wear process that occurs at the contact area between two materials under load and subject to minute relative motion by vibration or some other force." Fretting examples include wear of drive splines on driveshafts. Fretting damage in steel can be identified by the presence of a pitted surface and fine 'red' iron oxide dust reminiscent of cocoa powder. Strictly this debris is not 'rust' as its production requires no water. The particles are much harder than the steel surfaces in contact, so abrasive wear is inevitable; however, particulates are not required to initiate fret.
Lubricants are often employed to mitigate fretting because they reduce friction and inhibit oxidation.
Grease the splines.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #3930
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:

Cheers, E-Ticket
No problem just make sure to identify that it's a 525 driveshaft and not a 350 or 500.

The Honda Moly Paste 60 is what is recommended by Honda on the splines of shaft drive street bikes for minimizing wear of the splines. However keep in mind these street bikes also have cush hubs, our dirt bikes do not. Time will tell how effective lubing the splines are but I'll be surprised (or astounded) if its as effective as a cush hub. Hope I'm gonna be astounded.

Bengt Phorks thank you for posting the description of fretting, good stuff.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote