ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #3991
MJG2
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Has anyone read what's changing in the 2014 models? Supposedly they'll be here in another month.
http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/500-exc-eu/highlights.html

look here and click on the links on bike picture like -engine

shows new benefits

mention new lighter cam and valve train- mentions titainium valves -but it already has that

looks to have new piston and rings -I do recall some guys mentioning smoking etc -so new style rings makes sense

also excel wheels and some new from brake master cyl

looks like some small upgrades to an alreaady great machine
__________________
13 KTM 500 EXC
09 KTM 250 SX
05 KTM 300 EXC
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #3992
MJG2
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Oddometer: 53
con rod and bearing on 12/13

Does the 12 /13 model 500 EXC use the con rod with plain bearing lower

or is it conventional roller bearing

I see the 14 model will use it

ANd some of the prior year MX engines have used it

anyone know for sure what lower con rod bearing in a 13 500 EXC
__________________
13 KTM 500 EXC
09 KTM 250 SX
05 KTM 300 EXC
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #3993
Red Barron
Adventurer
 
Red Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Decatur, TX
Oddometer: 24
Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
I have EU map, desmog and Akro exhaust

What do you think my range is with stock tank

2013 500 EXC
2012 500 EXC

124.6 miles.

Wonder how I know that exact number.
__________________
Always do the right thing. You never know if you will get another opportunity.
Red Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #3994
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Now serving just Snohomish County
Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
I have EU map, desmog and Akro exhaust

What do you think my range is with stock tank

2013 500 EXC
With the stock tank de-smog, and stock exhaust, the light came on for me at 88 miles and I was getting worried at 100 on my first tank. It had about 30 miles on it with stock programming and then was switched to the euro map for the rest of it.

I have seen mileage ranging from 36 to 47 mpg depending on the terrain. The last was 40 mpg over about 3 gallons over last weekend. I did some semi technical 2 track, lots of gravel roads and some pavement. I was pretty aggresive with the throttle and will certainly get better mileage if I concentrate on my throttle management. I have stock gearing right now.

I think I am at about 380 miles and the back tire is pretty much shot. What a fun machine!
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #3995
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Now serving just Snohomish County
Oddometer: 1,452
I know there is some discussion in this thread somewhere about gearing. I am wanting to get some more current discussion going about it.

I have a 2013 500 EXC. It has the stock final drive ratio. As everyone knows, it is way too high. The highest gear is too high to use even on the highway. The only time it is useful is at speeds that are way higher than I should be running on this bike. I have no control of my speed while descending steep loose terrain.

So, I am going to use the bike for a 1300 mile mostly offroad ride in Nevada in about a month. I was planning to try to leave the stock gearing but it has become obvious I need to fix it. I need to gear it down. I also am going to use the bike to ride tight twisty single track trails here in WA. I would like to get some sprockets for both of these uses. I am not opposed to having 2 different front or rear sprockets and switching them out depending on the use. I would like to try to maintain descent mileage numbers to keep the overall fuel range as high as possible. And I would like to retain the stock chain if possible.

So what are your ideas? What are you running?

Thanks!
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #3996
MJG2
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I know there is some discussion in this thread somewhere about gearing. I am wanting to get some more current discussion going about it.

I have a 2013 500 EXC. It has the stock final drive ratio. As everyone knows, it is way too high. The highest gear is too high to use even on the highway. The only time it is useful is at speeds that are way higher than I should be running on this bike. I have no control of my speed while descending steep loose terrain.

So, I am going to use the bike for a 1300 mile mostly offroad ride in Nevada in about a month. I was planning to try to leave the stock gearing but it has become obvious I need to fix it. I need to gear it down. I also am going to use the bike to ride tight twisty single track trails here in WA. I would like to get some sprockets for both of these uses. I am not opposed to having 2 different front or rear sprockets and switching them out depending on the use. I would like to try to maintain descent mileage numbers to keep the overall fuel range as high as possible. And I would like to retain the stock chain if possible.

So what are your ideas? What are you running?

Thanks!
stock chain and I put 13 48 on it from day one -still does over 80 mph
not much riding yet but seems good all around for tight trails and open fire roads -I ride mostly woods trails -I like it so far -if anything Id go 49 or 50 next time -

side note -XC w comes 13-50 stock
__________________
13 KTM 500 EXC
09 KTM 250 SX
05 KTM 300 EXC
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #3997
boostracer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: California
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I know there is some discussion in this thread somewhere about gearing. I am wanting to get some more current discussion going about it.

I have a 2013 500 EXC. It has the stock final drive ratio. As everyone knows, it is way too high. The highest gear is too high to use even on the highway. The only time it is useful is at speeds that are way higher than I should be running on this bike. I have no control of my speed while descending steep loose terrain.

So, I am going to use the bike for a 1300 mile mostly offroad ride in Nevada in about a month. I was planning to try to leave the stock gearing but it has become obvious I need to fix it. I need to gear it down. I also am going to use the bike to ride tight twisty single track trails here in WA. I would like to get some sprockets for both of these uses. I am not opposed to having 2 different front or rear sprockets and switching them out depending on the use. I would like to try to maintain descent mileage numbers to keep the overall fuel range as high as possible. And I would like to retain the stock chain if possible.

So what are your ideas? What are you running?

Thanks!
You can go 14/48 & keep the stock chain. I'm running 15/51 which is approx. the same ratio, (added a couple links), did it to keep chain off swingarm protector as much as possible. This gearing works great for offroad also.
boostracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #3998
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer
 
Bungholio's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen, WA
Oddometer: 589
13/48 or 49 seems to me to be as low as i need for any trails or climbs i have ridden. I switch between 15/49, 14/49, 13/49 dependjng where i ride the most. I feel if you need lower than 13/48-50 you're riding too timid and slow. Yes it will do 80 on the highway or wherever but that engine is wound up over 6000RPM and thats probably not good to maintain for long.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #3999
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie
 
Dirty in all's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Oddometer: 168
It's very terrain and rider dependant. Up here in the rocky woods of Ct at 43, I'm running 13/50 (requires a chain) when in dirt trim. It's nice to lug around without dealing with the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear and it still has a decent cruising speed for uneventful parts of the ride. It's also a good gearing for the deep water crossings with basketball and beach ball sized rocks hidden in murky waters. I was running 14/48 (stock chain) last year and found myself looking at Rekluse auto clutches but the new gearing has changed that mindset.

Little off topic but I also run the bike in supermoto trim with 15/48 gearing and again we have tiny little technical roads but I also made a trip down to the Dragon area and it was perfect.

I'm probably not in the best shape either and it's a good thing to have a bunch of snap on hand with lower gearing.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #4000
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Iowa Great Lakes
Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
Does the 12 /13 model 500 EXC use the con rod with plain bearing lower

or is it conventional roller bearing

I see the 14 model will use it

ANd some of the prior year MX engines have used it

anyone know for sure what lower con rod bearing in a 13 500 EXC


The Owner's Manual, in Chapter 22-Technical Specifications, states the lower connecting rod bearing is a roller bearing. Fortunately, I have not had to verify this.

Gearing wise, I've been running 14/50 which still allows a top speed over 90 mph. Required a longer chain to accomplish this.
__________________
-Fortunately still working on my Bucket List-
2014 KTM 300XCW
2013 KTM 500EXC
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #4001
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wentjo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 408
I run 14/48 and love it. Does well in the technical sections too. Cruises nice at 75 down the highway.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #4002
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
It's very terrain and rider dependant. Up here in the rocky woods of Ct at 43, I'm running 13/50 (requires a chain) when in dirt trim. It's nice to lug around without dealing with the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear and it still has a decent cruising speed for uneventful parts of the ride. It's also a good gearing for the deep water crossings with basketball and beach ball sized rocks hidden in murky waters. I was running 14/48 (stock chain) last year and found myself looking at Rekluse auto clutches but the new gearing has changed that mindset.

Little off topic but I also run the bike in supermoto trim with 15/48 gearing and again we have tiny little technical roads but I also made a trip down to the Dragon area and it was perfect.

I'm probably not in the best shape either and it's a good thing to have a bunch of snap on hand with lower gearing.
Gearing wise, I've been running 14/50 which still allows a top speed over 90 mph. Required a longer chain to accomplish this.[/QUOTE]

I am running 13/50 with a longer chain. I hit the last gear when on the street and find myself wanting more gears so it is way to low for freeway use but that is not what I bought the bike for. A few weeks ago I tapped it out and hit over 90 mph with that gearing but sustaining that speed is not a good idea. Anything over 55 or 60 mph feels like the engine is revving too high. Off road is an entirely different matter. How often do any of us sustain speeds of or 50 mph off road for more than a minute or two. 99% of my riding will be off road and at consistent speeds of less than 45 mph. For that my gearing is spot on. Don't forget that 13/50 is the stock gearing for the 500 XCW. 13/50 is not a crazy low choice for gearing.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #4003
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Now serving just Snohomish County
Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
I am running 13/50 with a longer chain. I hit the last gear when on the street and find myself wanting more gears so it is way to low for freeway use but that is not what I bought the bike for. A few weeks ago I tapped it out and hit over 90 mph with that gearing but sustaining that speed is not a good idea. Anything over 55 or 60 mph feels like the engine is revving too high. Off road is an entirely different matter. How often do any of us sustain speeds of or 50 mph off road for more than a minute or two. 99% of my riding will be off road and at consistent speeds of less than 45 mph. For that my gearing is spot on. Don't forget that 13/50 is the stock gearing for the 500 XCW. 13/50 is not a crazy low choice for gearing.
Thank you everyone for the input so far. If you haven't given your thoughts on your gearing choice yet, please weigh in. You comments really help too.

The thing is that I will be running for considerable distances on long straight dirt roads at or around 50 - 60 mph. I think the average speed is around 45 mph on the trip I have planned.

I found a sweet sprocket ratio document on JT's website.

I think I am leaning toward a 49 or 50 on the rear. Then I will get a 14 front and have the stock 15 to fool with. That should slow the bike down quite a bit. I don't know. Still thinking...
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #4004
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer
 
Bungholio's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen, WA
Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Thank you everyone for the input so far. If you haven't given your thoughts on your gearing choice yet, please weigh in. You comments really help too.

The thing is that I will be running for considerable distances on long straight dirt roads at or around 50 - 60 mph. I think the average speed is around 45 mph on the trip I have planned.

I found a sweet sprocket ratio document on JT's website.

I think I am leaning toward a 49 or 50 on the rear. Then I will get a 14 front and have the stock 15 to fool with. That should slow the bike down quite a bit. I don't know. Still thinking...
I rode the first part of the mex2can ride last year, Tecate to Fallon NV. Lots of dirt roads and a bit of hiway through socal and death valley. Started with 15/49 but changed to a 14 cs after first day. It worked fine but i felt i should have stayed with the 15 cs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #4005
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie
 
Dirty in all's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post

Heres my favorite one ....

http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014