Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #4006
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
Heres my favorite one ....

http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/

2012 500 exc, my gearing is 15/50 and I am very happy with it, can still cruise at freeway speeds without revving the motor to the moon and seems to be low enough for technical riding, but I am also using a Rekluse auto clutch and lhrb. I used the stock gearing(15/45) for a 1100+ mile Baja trip because i knew I would be doing some longer stretches but was surprised how well it did in the tight stuff(like the hard way out of Mikes Sky Ranch). For supermoto trim I use the 15/43) here is the gearing guide I use, you can pretty much enter enough info to see where you will be at with what gearing.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/
Old 05-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #4007
DiVango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Picked up a New Chain and Sprockets

I am going to 14 50 since most of my riding is tight woods and some back roads. Will I need to break the stock chain to remove or is there a master link on the stock chain?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #4008
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiVango View Post
I am going to 14 50 since most of my riding is tight woods and some back roads. Will I need to break the stock chain to remove or is there a master link on the stock chain?

stock chain has masterlink
Old 05-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #4009
DiVango
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
stock chain has masterlink
Thanks!!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #4010
robmeoff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Rockymountain

Just thought id share my 10% off code for RMATV
not sure if its the right place but rather a KTM 500 person grab it!!
bh6507091

Cheers, Rob
robmeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #4011
vintageveloce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Has anyone read what's changing in the 2014 models? Supposedly they'll be here in another month.
Homeless... that depends on where "here"" is and what models. I don't think we will see anything dirt oriented in California before fall.
vintageveloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #4012
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Ahhhhhhhhh

Finally had the opportunity to take the bike out this past weekend. The weather, schedules and trails all cooperated and i was able to get the hour meter up to 13.5 hours.

In Tahoe, they opened up (officially) some of the trails by Oneidas road. Some moderately easy trails/whoops called Powerline and some moderately easy switchbacks called Stinger and Corral Trail. This area is happily used by mountain bikers, but those on dirt bikes and ATV's are welcome (if they can keep the 40" width limitation in mind).

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_3eb3.htm

If you haven't been, go! It's fun and fairly easy - but if it's your first time, take the Stinger and Corral approaches bottoms up (uphill) as you'll have an easier time dodging the mountain bikers and maneuvering some of the tricky areas easier versus trying to keep your speed down around corners on steep descents. This can kill 2 hours as you get ready to head out to more technical areas.

Now, the fan did kick on and I felt that the stock gearing was a bit too high. Plenty of power to get past everything, but did have to use the clutch a bit too much for my tastes. Getting around the switch backs was fun enough and there was never any power issues (just rider issues).

But this bike on that trail made me feel like I was on a super powered mountain bike, it was literally a blast!

I then worked my way over to Genoa Peak Road (the logging trucks are running) and the trail is pretty clear from US 50 to Kingsbury. This is less twisty and more whoops, berms, and jumps along with a few sand washes. I totally felt that the 500 EXC was in its element there as you can get plenty of speed before having to cut back and dodge around a corner.

The suspension is great, I put on K60's and apart from being a bit dodgy in the snow, they're totally at home on the dry hardback (no mud to speak of).

The bad? Well, you can see my license plate in these pictures but it did fall off.

Fortunately I did find it the next day!

The stock gas tank feels a bit small, but I have a larger Acerbis at home (with fuel sock) ready to be installed. The gearing is a bit high (have the front and rear sprockets to fix that). The mounts for the license plate left plenty to be desired (going to fix that), the right rear turn signal has started to melt (have the SAR slimmed down fender and lights), and the coolant-tank-recovery worked fine - but could really benefit from 90 degree (right angle) brass connectors if you are going to mount it up in the place of the charcoal canister.

I put on a RAM mount for my Montana GPS along with a couple of powerlet adapters and the some folding mirrors which worked out well when dodging trees.

Yeah, it was a long winter. I hit every catalog and vendor I could and fortunately, ran out of time versus pretty bits to install!

This is going to be an awesome summer! Now it's just a debate between parking it on the lake (new WS Tarpon 160) or playing in the dirt.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #4013
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Thank you everyone for the input so far. If you haven't given your thoughts on your gearing choice yet, please weigh in. You comments really help too.

The thing is that I will be running for considerable distances on long straight dirt roads at or around 50 - 60 mph. I think the average speed is around 45 mph on the trip I have planned.

I found a sweet sprocket ratio document on JT's website.

I think I am leaning toward a 49 or 50 on the rear. Then I will get a 14 front and have the stock 15 to fool with. That should slow the bike down quite a bit. I don't know. Still thinking...
I started with 14/50 on my EXC then went to a 13/50. I ride in the mountains in Alberta and BC and find I like to attack the hills in 2nd and 3rd. The bike is so capable, stable and balanced I can ride steeper hills faster and lug without downshifting, with a bit a clutching. I weigh 200...ish probably 220 with gear. First gear has a lot of torque and you get a lot of wheel spin if you climb in 1st gear which is why I hit the hills faster than I ever have.

Garrett
Old 05-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #4014
DiVango
Adventurer

You think you have decisions to make! I just decided to take it all with me and ride what seems the most fun. I am down to lowly Tarpon 100's. Have a Ride 135 at home but just too big to lug around.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #4015
yzedf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
14/48 hasn't be great for me as far as picking up front over a log from a stop. Pretty good otherwise. Tight, rocky, roots New England single track. Next I'm going to try 13/50.
yzedf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #4016
avconnect
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh

Finally had the opportunity to take the bike out this past weekend. The weather, schedules and trails all cooperated and i was able to get the hour meter up to 13.5 hours.

In Tahoe, they opened up (officially) some of the trails by Oneidas road. Some moderately easy trails/whoops called Powerline and some moderately easy switchbacks called Stinger and Corral Trail. This area is happily used by mountain bikers, but those on dirt bikes and ATV's are welcome (if they can keep the 40" width limitation in mind).

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_3eb3.htm

If you haven't been, go! It's fun and fairly easy - but if it's your first time, take the Stinger and Corral approaches bottoms up (uphill) as you'll have an easier time dodging the mountain bikers and maneuvering some of the tricky areas easier versus trying to keep your speed down around corners on steep descents. This can kill 2 hours as you get ready to head out to more technical areas.

Now, the fan did kick on and I felt that the stock gearing was a bit too high. Plenty of power to get past everything, but did have to use the clutch a bit too much for my tastes. Getting around the switch backs was fun enough and there was never any power issues (just rider issues).

But this bike on that trail made me feel like I was on a super powered mountain bike, it was literally a blast!

I then worked my way over to Genoa Peak Road (the logging trucks are running) and the trail is pretty clear from US 50 to Kingsbury. This is less twisty and more whoops, berms, and jumps along with a few sand washes. I totally felt that the 500 EXC was in its element there as you can get plenty of speed before having to cut back and dodge around a corner.

The suspension is great, I put on K60's and apart from being a bit dodgy in the snow, they're totally at home on the dry hardback (no mud to speak of).

The bad? Well, you can see my license plate in these pictures but it did fall off.

Fortunately I did find it the next day!

The stock gas tank feels a bit small, but I have a larger Acerbis at home (with fuel sock) ready to be installed. The gearing is a bit high (have the front and rear sprockets to fix that). The mounts for the license plate left plenty to be desired (going to fix that), the right rear turn signal has started to melt (have the SAR slimmed down fender and lights), and the coolant-tank-recovery worked fine - but could really benefit from 90 degree (right angle) brass connectors if you are going to mount it up in the place of the charcoal canister.

I put on a RAM mount for my Montana GPS along with a couple of powerlet adapters and the some folding mirrors which worked out well when dodging trees.

Yeah, it was a long winter. I hit every catalog and vendor I could and fortunately, ran out of time versus pretty bits to install!

This is going to be an awesome summer! Now it's just a debate between parking it on the lake (new WS Tarpon 160) or playing in the dirt.
Can you post some pictures of your cockpit such as the GPS and top clamp?
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #4017
mmjsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
KTM USA website was updated already showing their EXC's. It also says they will be available at dealerships in June.

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro.html
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #4018
wsmc831
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjsport View Post
KTM USA website was updated already showing their EXC's. It also says they will be available at dealerships in June.

That's funny. Paid for my 13 yesterday, picking it up Saturday...might have tried to work a better deal if I had known.

oh well, very few improvements....
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #4019
mmjsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
That's funny. Paid for my 13 yesterday, picking it up Saturday...might have tried to work a better deal if I had known.

oh well, very few improvements....
What kind of deal did you get? The improvements are small but they lost 5 pounds. It says they are 245lbs now! So that's a plus IMO. Removing those heavy mirrors will make it lose a pound and installing a Shorai will lose another 3 lbs. Plus installing a new FMF pipe will shed another 3lbs or so. So I'm thinking its possible to get this guy in the high 230's dry. That would be great. Let's just hope the handling reflects it.
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #4020
vintageveloce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjsport View Post

The dealers in California that I've talked to say they haven't even placed 2013 orders yet. And as the bikes come from Europe by boat, and were just announced last week... I think June is for Europe. I'd love to be wrong but June just seems really unlikely for California at least...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
vintageveloce is offline   Reply With Quote